Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
VTISC007
AF Regular

Question '71 Dodge Dart front brake swap........

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the front drum brake system to rotors?
I believe '72 has rotors.
I was once told all I have to do is swap the spindles (w/calipers and stuff) and add the power brake booster. Everything should bolt right on. Just go to the junk yard and get the parts.
Any ideas?

Thanks
VTISC007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Re: '71 Dodge Dart front brake swap........

All you have to do is swap it from the spindles out, and change the master cylinder and proportioning block over to a disc setup.

Don't use '72 use '73 up, they're improved over the 69-72 brakes.

Yes, A-bodies had disc brakes as early as '69, I believe. At least I have a '69 that has original disc brakes, so maybe it was as early as '67? I've never seen discs from the factory on any '66 and older A-body.

You can't use you're drum master cylinder. But you don't have to have a power brake booster, but it's nice... The Drum brake master cylinder has two equal reservoirs, which, if you used it with discs, will give you no rear braking, since the drum cylinder wont move enough fluid to engage the rear brakes. The disc brake proportioning block is necessary for safety, and also proper braking proportions. You actually can buy an adjustable proportioning block that will allow you to set up the braking however you like it. (more rear, more front, whichever you like. More front is good for bracket racing.) I only tried the adjustable one once, and I didn't like it.

Mostly, the discs were on 4 door cars and special option package darts/demons/valiants/dusters/swingers/scamps like 340's, customs, twisters, GT's, GTS's, and so on. Didn't matter what motor they had. I have a '69 GT with a slant six and a second '69 GT, that's a V8 (and going to be a GTS clone..., both came with factory 4 piston discs, but the slant six car has manual discs and the V8's got the power booster.

I had a '70 340 swinger (wsh I still had it...) that was also factory discs and the booster. Sweet car... sold it in '86... bad move!

There are places that sell complete disc setups for A and B-bodies, whether they're junkyard pulls or new.
I've even seen a setup on Ebay once in awhile.

Good luck, and change your ball joints too while you're at it!

Slantsixness
Old 05-05-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Dad's '70 Swinger also had discs.

My Polara has drums, as did the Challenger I had.

The way I see it, there should be drums on the back, and discs on the front. My friend's with their Mustangs have 4 wheel discs, and the back discs are constantly eating pads after a couple brakestands. I do brakestands on my truck sometimes, and I've changed the front discs, but the back shoes are fine. Pretty good braking power under normal circumstances too.

Yeah using a '73 and up configuration would be wise.
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:31 AM   #4
VTISC007
AF Regular

So is there a catalog that I could order a complete kit from or a place I could call or should I go to the junk yard?

I like to buy new things that come with warranties but I have no problem using old things.

Thanks
VTISC007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #5
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Go to a junkyard and strip it all off a '73 up a-body. You'll want new rotors, so don't buy them if you dont have to. Save the spindle bearings off the junked rotors, you may need the bearings for the part #s. Figure on rebuild kits for the calipers, and a new or rerurbished master cylinder. The brake booster needs to be checked before you buy it, they're expensive new... If it still is holding vacuum when you disconnect it, that's a real good sign, but hard to find an a-body in a junkyard untouched and complete.
You could even take the hydraulic flex hoses (but use new ones on your car), and you'll need those mounting brackets for them too.

negotiate with the junkyard for a fixed price for the whole nine yards of what you need. You'll find it cheaper when you do it that way, and they won't care if you take something you forgot to mention.

I would recommend taking the whole front suspension with the other brakes if you can get it. it would take less time to strip down the junker that way, and you get extra parts...!

Slantsixness

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion