Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Mine999
AF Newbie

93' Buick Century Wont start

93' Buick Century 3300 wont start. It belongs to a friend of mine. We have gone through basics, fuses, coil packs, ICM, all tested good. It is not getting fuel at the plugs, nor is it getting spark from the coil packs. The fuel pump fires and the injectors sound like they work. It cranks over but doesn't even sputter, just cranks and cranks. battery is good also. I believe there might be some interruption in the ignition system. Any trouble shooting ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Mine999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 93' Buick Century Wont start

Will it start spraying carb cleaner into the intake? So there is no spark to plugs, correct, if not and the fuses are good, I would suspect crank sensor based on what you have already checked. I assume you have fuel pressure?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Mine999
AF Newbie

Not about the fuel pressure I want find out why its not getting spark first. The fuel pump primes every time when turning the key into the on position. I think I may have narrowed it down to the ICM and/or the ECM. I have reasonable suspicion that it is the ICM. After messing with it for the second day all wiring and connections appear good. The ICM is after market and was traced back to a bone-yard so it probably crapped out. I am hoping that it is not the crank sensor because it looks like a pain to replace. I also dont have a book to work out of so that will make it that much more difficult. Thanks for the input though any other suggestions are welcome. And I have tried spraying starting fluid into the throttle body while wide open and nothing.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Ok, that shows no spark of course so focus in that area, any Napa or AZ can test the icm. You said not getting fuel at the plugs so either no fuel press would do that or no injector pulse, that usually points to the cps.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Mine999
AF Newbie

I took the TPS, ICM, and the coil packs to AZ to have them tested The coil packs had appropriate resistance and the TPS tested good. The ICM would not test acurately. I believe it is after market and may have some issues. I am hoping that it is the problem. If not well Then the CPS is my next venture. does anyone have a step by step removal preferably with diagram? Thanks again it has been a great help. I will post results on tuesday or wednesday next week. The guy has no money till then so cannot proceed till he gets paid
Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Mine999
AF Newbie

Got this sucker started but now it wont shift out of 1st gear. On to more trouble shooting.
For those who care the ignition problem was a broken wire just below the connector for the ICM which was very hard to see and tell that is was broken(It was severed from the underside but remained intact on the top and was also routed under and next to the alternator). It wasnt until I tested for resistance that figured it out. Thanks for the input and any suggestions on the shifting problem I am always open to ideas.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Mine999
AF Newbie

Glad to report that the buick is running, and smoothly I might add. Thanks for all the input.