Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

OK, time to figure out which offset is really the best for the X

Stock: 15x7
Offset 40mm
Backspacing 5.07

So I am trying to find a 15x8, 4.5" offset...any ideas? This will kick the tires out a bit from the lower a-arms but not so far as to stress the front end components and should allow me to fully stuff the rear wheels. I can get them custom made but has anyone seen this backspacing before in a off the shelf wheel?

FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 02:29 PM   #2
gothamist
AF Regular

I didn't spend an hour on the phone with American Racing for nothing...

I have this list in front of me of all the different backspacing/offset wheels that AR makes and might fit...unfortunately I don't know which model wheels come in what sizes (they aren't all 767's), but according to Andy (I think that was his name) @ AR, you can get the following in our bolt pattern in at least one model wheel from AR:

15x7 3.75
15x8 4
15x8 4.5 (*ding ding ding...now to find out what model wheel this is)
15x8 4.75

I also have written down a 15x7 5.1, but I can't remember if that's just our stock wheel or they make one that matches it as well. <shrug>
Old 08-08-2001, 02:33 PM   #3
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

WAHOO.....do you have his extension at AR?
Old 08-08-2001, 02:38 PM   #4
gothamist
AF Regular

No, I'm on the phone with someone at AR now though...

DAMNIT.
According to whomever I just spoke to at AR (Andy was on the other line), that wheel is LISTED in their catalog, but not actually MADE. WTF?!?!?!

Aargh.

Maybe call up Stockton?
Old 08-08-2001, 02:40 PM   #5
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

That figures...kind of like the ConnFerr rack size I wanted last year. Just tried them a little while ago...was on hold for 10 minutes then it says to leave a message.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:51 AM   #6
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Ok, here are my thoughts and I need input from those who are currently using 32" rubber. I have reviewed the info FSR posted regarding the offset and back spacing on the factory rims. I have also heard from a number of people regarding rub at the front brake line cover and rear filler neck cover. I figured that a 1/2" change in the backspacing of the wheels should correct those two problems. Here is the math at this point based on an 8" rim:

The factory wheel is equivalent to a wheel with a 3.5" back spacing with a 0 offset.

With that in mind, the AR wheels commonly come with a 3 3/4" backspace with a -19mm offset. This is the equivalent of a 3" backspace with a 0 offset.

This is right at a 1/2" move outboard. This would eliminate the rub on paper. But we all know what works on paper and what works in reality are two different things. It also doesn't factor in the 1.5" gain to the outside and its effect on the fender clearance. So here are my questions:

Those who have aftermarket rims, what do you have and what is the rim offset and backspacing? Do they rub and if so when, with what tire and where? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. Keep in mind that the truck in question (mine) sees hard off-roading with full articulation on a regular basis. If you rarely off-road, your info won't be any good since you probably haven't seriously cycled the suspension.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:57 PM   #7
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
I had the chance today to really pick the brains of my tire people and I apparently misunderstood how offset and backspacing work, but the news I got isn't good. Apparently if FSRBiker is correct in his maeasurements, the Xterra is a red-headed step-child. The offset and backspacing measurements he gave is just shy of a front wheel drive car.

Since most wheel manufacturers use standard offsets, any common 15 X 8 wheel you put on an X will have problems. It would appear to me that in order to run the larger tires you would have to increase the rim-to-frame clearance by about 1/4 to 1/2". you would have to do this by reducing the offset and subsequently reducing the backspacing. But keep in mind that you are gaining 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" on the outside since you are going from a 7" wide wheel to an 8" wide wheel. So what effect will this have? I won't know until I actually put my truck on the ramps and measure.

So what does this mean to an X owner? Well, I guess it is custom wheels. My tire people indicated that Centerline will make custom wheels to your specifications. But the bad side is, you only have one shot at this so you better get it right the first time. This is where I am at. It is going to be almost as much fun as the dual battery project.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 02:18 PM   #8
XXXTERRA
AF Regular

Question Simple question

All this talk about backspacing, offsets......etc has me messed up.

I'm running 31x10.50x15 TrXus M/T's and would like to mount them on AR 767 rims, but I'm getting all kinds of different suggestions. I would like to mount them on 15x8 rims but I'm confused between the two backspacings offered 4" or 4.75" , which would best suit the X with the nearest match to stock?

I spoke to a local member who is running the same rims and he told me 4.75", while the guy at the shop is telling me 4". Now I turn to you for help.

Thanks
XXXTERRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 11:02 PM   #9
gothamist
AF Regular

Sorry I missed your question man, I know I personally haven't been checking this forum much since it was kidnapped.

You should go with 4.75 BS on the 8" rims if you're talking AR-767's, they'll fit fine but stick out about 1/2" more than stock...partially due to the BS, and partially because you'll be moving from a 7" rim to an 8" one.

Here is a picture of Will's truck (actually a closeup of a messed up 767) w/ 31's and those exact rims (damage from a night of rock crawling back in February.) He's since moved on to 32x10.50 TSL Radials, which wouldn't fit in the wheelwell w/ these 767's (he switched back to stock.) This pic doesn't help much but if you look REALLY close you can see how the wheel is just a bit further out than stock.

Old 08-20-2001, 06:48 AM   #10
XXXTERRA
AF Regular

Thank you

Thanks Gothamist, that was the exact info I was looking for. The guy at the shop ordered me a set of the 4" backspacing and I thought something was wrong, but I was not sure. Thank you for the straight answers.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:04 PM   #11
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Tell the guy to order you a set of tie rods and a center link...you will need them. Do not have him mount up the tires otherwise you own the rims... have him order the correct ones for you(4.75) and your steering components, wheel well flares, turning radius, etc will all thank you. I will be getting some custom wheels made in a 4.5" backspacing when i get back from Colorado, these are for 12.5" wide tires as I will need some additional a-arm clearance for them. Not to scare you but you will have problems with the 4" backspaced rims...maybe not right away but it will not take long.

Oh yea...any reason you are switching to a 15x8? If you plan on adding wider tires in the future than that's fine but otherside stick with the 7's..the tires on a 7" wide rim will offer better protection for the rim and you lessen the chance of popping the bead when you air down.

Old 08-20-2001, 06:19 PM   #12
XXXTERRA
AF Regular

Really?

I don't "plan" on getting larger tires any time soon, I just thought the 8" would suit the tires better. I have the TrXus 31x10.50x15 M/T's. If the 7" 767's would cause less of a problem for me, then hell yeah I'll go with those. Now which one's do I need? is it the 7675763 model? Here is a link to AR rims .

BTW the tires have not yet been mounted, I have to tell the shop guy which model to get.

Thanks again for your help
Old 10-10-2001, 03:32 PM   #13
Antitree_hugger
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Antitree_hugger Send a message via Yahoo to Antitree_hugger
So which one?

FSRBIKER which rim did you get, and how is it working out?
Antitree_hugger is offline   Reply With Quote