Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
brew5655
AF Newbie

Install 3rd Seat in 2001 SLE

Hey Guys,

I am a new Yukon owner. This is the first one I have ever owned and I love it so far.

I want to install a 3rd Seat in the back of my Yukon SLE. I have noticed on the Yukon XL there is more room. Does this mean that you can only install the third row in XL versions and not SLE.

If the seat can be installed in the SLE, please answer this questions.

1) It does not look like there is not enough room behind the 2nd seat.
2) Do you need different 2nd row seat.
3) Can I just buy the factory brackets on ebay and them work.
4) Do I have to cut holes in the floor in back of the truck.

Thanks,
Brew5655
brew5655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Jeepin_CJ7
AF Newbie

I plan on putting a 3rd row seat in my '00 Yukon SLT(new body style) soon. All you need is the two piece seats, bolts, and brackets.

There is enough room in the back, but there won't be much room for any gear if the seat is down. If you want to see how it looks go to the dealership and look at a Tahoe/Yukon with the third seat.

You will be able to keep your current 2nd row seats. My buddies Denali has captain's chairs in his and it makes getting to the 3rd row easy. I'll probably have the kids get in from the back.

You can buy the factory brackets form the guy on eBay that sells them or you can buy them from www.gmpartsdirect.com or your local dealership(more$$$). The GM part numbers and prices given to me from gmpartsdirect are:

15013755 striker x4 - $5.53 each
15038814 striker x2 (only need one I think) - $11.55 each
15038813 striker x2 - $10.42 each
11515775 bolt x14 - $2.19 each

The eBay auctions only have a quantity of one on part number 15038814 so I don't know if you need two or just one. The dealer mechanic said the bolts would be a standard bolt and that I shouldn't waste my money on $4.00 bolts (cost at the dealership). I will try to find zinc coated grade 5 or 8 bolts.

You will only have to cut holes through the carpet. The threaded holes are already under the carpet. I'm not sure of the best way to cut through the carpet. I guess I'll take most of the plastic molding off the inside cargo area and lift the carpet up a bit.

Here are examples of the seats you are looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7965102985

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7965739919
Jeepin_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
brew5655
AF Newbie

Jeepin,

Man thanks for your reply. I am glad that all the seats will fit. Do you know how much room is for your feet on the 3rd seat.

Thanks,
Ant
Old 04-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Eggert
AF Regular

Re: Install 3rd Seat in 2001 SLE

Hi,
just to clarify:
SLE (cloth seats) and SLT (leather seats) are trim levels.
Yukon / Tahoe is the short body, Yukon XL / Suburban is the long body.
Please notice that there is an older one piece bench and a newer 2 piece bench.
The 3rd row bench for the SLT trim is VINYL, NOT leather. Probably to survive the abuse from taking it out.
Colors usually are pewter (grey) or shale (tan).

I have a 2001 Yukon XL SLE and like my one piece cloth 3rd seat. It has rollers for the lugging around. The kids just roll over the 2nd seat bench to get into the back (whether I like it or not...). Leg room is enough for grown ups. Just not much cargo space due to the short body. You could get a roof top carrier.

I agree with the others to go to a dealer. Ask him to see a 3rd row bench in a short body because you want to add one to yours. Don't be shy, take a tape measure and measure out the points.
Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
brew5655
AF Newbie

Yukon SLE Leg room

Hey Eggert,

I do not know if this matters but my Yukon is not a XL. How much room for feet should I have? Does part of the floor come apart for removal?

I too have cloth seats. I was hoping to install split jumper seats. Is this possible or do I have to install a complete bench?

Thanks,
Ant
Old 04-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi, I don't know about the foot room as your wheel base is shorter. I think it should be the same, but you need to go and look at one. The split bench should be interchangeable with the one piece bench. Again, I don't know for sure and you have to look.
Take care, Eggert
Old 04-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
Jeepin_CJ7
AF Newbie

What I've seen from eBay pictures, the split seats (Yukon) and the bench seats (Yukon XL) are not interchangeable. It looks as if the mounting points are different. I'll try to stop by the GMC dealship on my way to work this week and look at the two. It doesn't really matter to me if they are split or bench, I'd only have them in on vacations and going to the lake.
Jeepin_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #8
Eggert
AF Regular

OK, just looked at GMC website, now I get it:
Short body = split bench, long body = one piece bench.
No idea, why this woukd be different.
Take care, Eggert
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
east302
AF Regular

Re: Re: Install 3rd Seat in 2001 SLE

I have a 2000 Tahoe (new style) with the 3rd row seats. They're heavy and cumbersome and mine stay in a spare bedroom closet. But when I need them they're relatively easy to install.

You asked about the leg room...it's not great on these but would guess the Suburban and Yukon XL are better.

The seats are low and your butt sits about 12-inches off the floor..with your knees up near your chest. There is no footwell in the floor in mine.

Access is difficult for adults as you have to fold the 2nd row down. Kids will likely just vault over it.

In other words, they're fine for kids and for adults only on short trips. Installed, there is about one-foot of space behind the seats for storage, but you can fold the seats up for a bit more room.
east302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #10
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi, now I will go to the dealer and check this out.
On my Yukon XL the 3rd bench has a foot well and is fine for two 6 footers weighing 250+ lbs.
It seems that in the short body you sit in the flat part of the cargo compartment.
Take care, Eggert
Old 04-07-2005, 06:48 AM   #11
east302
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Install 3rd Seat in 2001 SLE

I always thought the 3rd row option on the Tahoe/Yukon was kind of an afterthought. It's not that comfortable and eats up the cargo space.

For those that need the extra seating, a Suburban/Yukon XL would be a better choice as the cargo space is larger.
east302 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon