Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:18 PM   #166
mattsather
AF Newbie

04 suburban navigation

I have an 04 suburban with the bose system, onstar, xm, dvd, the works. As was true for everybody else, the dealership does not provide any helpful information. I spoke with a guy at a dealership, finally, that was actually helpful. He told me of a website www.jpcustoms.com that packages a factory nav upgrade kit for about $2200. It is expensive and I think I could do it for less. If I go out and purchase an integrated navigation radio from ebay, will all the functions on the steering wheel, rear controls, onstar continue to work properly? It sounds as though the only thing that will not work as great as a factory install is having the wheel sensors. I am all for having factory equipment as well. In addition to getting the head unit only, I believe I will need the wiring harness to add the 6-disc changer down below.

This thread has been extremely helpful. The only thing unanswered for me, will my bose amp work?
mattsather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #167
gable74
AF Regular

Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

I dont frequent this forum much anymore so sorry for the delayed responses. I have 10 Luxury AMPs that i have personally tested that i know for a fact work with the NAV radio. I will sell them to anyone who E-mails me for less than $200 each. I also have one listed on E-Bay right now. On another note, this install is not nearly as difficult as some would make it seem. It is a bit confusing sometimes, but well worth it in the end. I have had mine running for about 6 months with no problems. I have full pictures, Documents, schematics and details on everything dealing with this install from the Head unit, AMP, to the 6 CD changer. Send me an e-mail if you need help (Gable74@hotmail.com) and i will do the best i can for you. Just be a little patient with me as i am helping quite a few people do the same MOD to thier vehicles. Here is a good post to read with pictures and some details.
look here...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=28030
gable74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #168
centuryexpress
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gable74
I dont frequent this forum much anymore so sorry for the delayed responses. I have 10 Luxury AMPs that i have personally tested that i know for a fact work with the NAV radio. I will sell them to anyone who E-mails me for less than $200 each. I also have one listed on E-Bay right now. On another note, this install is not nearly as difficult as some would make it seem. It is a bit confusing sometimes, but well worth it in the end. I have had mine running for about 6 months with no problems. I have full pictures, Documents, schematics and details on everything dealing with this install from the Head unit, AMP, to the 6 CD changer. Send me an e-mail if you need help (Gable74@hotmail.com) and i will do the best i can for you. Just be a little patient with me as i am helping quite a few people do the same MOD to thier vehicles. Here is a good post to read with pictures and some details.
look here...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=28030
I have to agree with gable, who has helped me immensely with this, it is not at all difficult if you have all the info going in. Mine has been working fine and I am quite happy with it. It was difficult and frustrating for me because I did not have all this info up front, thankfully gable saved my butt, and the nav system works great! thanks again!
centuryexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #169
jorgegtp
AF Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintalage
That's like what I did. Except I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand am GT1. The unit works, but for some odd reason, it stays in night mode all the time when the car is on. I got mine from a guy who visits the another forum I frequent. He got it from a wrecked '04 Buick Rendezvous. I paid $500 for it. I couldn't pass this great deal up.

Anyway, what it doesn't have is the right gps antenna. I am trying to find out what the part # is for the correct gps antenna that hooks into this unit. I saw your unit on ebay and sent the seller an email asking what the part # was and he did not respond. So if you help me out here, do you know what the part # is? I am having a difficult time finding it. It's very frustrating.

Here are pics of the unit:

Had the dealer program the unit for my car. So it's unlocked.
Hey your 02 gran am gt1 is plug and play for de nav unit. please let me khow
jorgegtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #170
erice04
AF Newbie

Need a recap please. I have 04 denali, xm, onstar, bose system etc. I opted not to get the nav system at the time of purchase. I have just purchased a nav system off ebay that came out of an 04 denali. Simply plug and play and should be good right? It should be linked thru my Onstar yeah? You mentioned a gps antenna, I thought this was the same as the Onstar one? Anything else I need to know before I install? I have the manual and the dvd coming with the head unit. Any help would be great. Thanks !
erice04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #171
sjb
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erice04
Need a recap please. I have 04 denali, xm, onstar, bose system etc. I opted not to get the nav system at the time of purchase. I have just purchased a nav system off ebay that came out of an 04 denali. Simply plug and play and should be good right? It should be linked thru my Onstar yeah? You mentioned a gps antenna, I thought this was the same as the Onstar one? Anything else I need to know before I install? I have the manual and the dvd coming with the head unit. Any help would be great. Thanks !
You WILL need a separate antenna that mounts under the dash. It does not integrate with the Onstar system. With the Denali, you most likely already have the Y91 audio package necessary to do this. You can check the list of codes in the glove box to check that out. And then, you will need to bring it to a dealer to get the theft lock removed. Hopefully you can convince them it is not a stolen radio, as some dealers are pretty strict about how and when they do this.
sjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:14 PM   #172
erice04
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb
You WILL need a separate antenna that mounts under the dash. It does not integrate with the Onstar system. With the Denali, you most likely already have the Y91 audio package necessary to do this. You can check the list of codes in the glove box to check that out. And then, you will need to bring it to a dealer to get the theft lock removed. Hopefully you can convince them it is not a stolen radio, as some dealers are pretty strict about how and when they do this.

Cool, Thanks. Does the dealer have to unlock or can any car audio place unlock it? I know I need the dealer to plug it into the TECH 2 scanner..
erice04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #173
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by erice04
Cool, Thanks. Does the dealer have to unlock or can any car audio place unlock it? I know I need the dealer to plug it into the TECH 2 scanner..
Any place that has a Tech 2 and the instructions for removing the theftlock can do it. I'd be surprised if your neighborhood car audio place had a Tech 2, as it would be of very little use when it comes to installing aftermarket car audio equipment.
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #174
Bill-SILV
AF Regular

Can anyone post some links on what is needed like someone did previously? The links are no longer active on ebay and I was curious on what I would need to do this. I read about a microphone and I have one on the overhead console I think for onstar and another one that is above the driver seat roof. I have a 2003 Chevy tahoe with the bose setup except I dont have the xm radio built in. Will the amp work from this and does anyone know where the amp and the sub is located?

thanks for any input.
Bill-SILV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #175
Bill-SILV
AF Regular

Ok after I was looking on ebay I think my radio might be XM also is there anyway to find out if it is?
Bill-SILV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #176
RollTideRover
AF Newbie

I hate dragging up an old topic, but I just purchased a 2005 Sub with the NAV system. My wife and I drove several Sub's and Yukon Denali. We liked the Denali system set up with the six disk below the nav/radio and above the drink console. I am trying to get the dealership I bought the truck from to install the six disk as if it were in a Denali, they say it can't be done. My wife is nuts about having a unit look like it was factory. The dealer says it was not an option on Chevrolet. My thought is that they are the same unit, someone should be able to get the disk head unit and slip it in the "hole" above my console and then cable it to the nav/radio unit and it should work, RIGHT??? If that is correct, anyone got a part number for that 6 disk unit and maybe the PN for the cable harness if needed? Thank you so much in advance for any and all help.
RollTideRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #177
copout221
AF Regular

Yes, the factory six disc changer CAN be installed in the lower pocket on the Tahoe / Suburban. Here is a link to where the changer, wiring harness, and installation instructions are sold brand new with a warranty. http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/custo...cat=354&page=1

I did this install in my Tahoe even though I use my IPod 95% of the time plugged in through the aux DVD input. The install is fairly easy except for a little cutting you have to do to the pocket and behind it. I used a die grinder and it cut the plastic like butter. If you screw up the bezel can easily be replaced. You can also find the changers on E-Bay but you will still need the wiring harness and instructions for the connections. All the changer controls show right on the Nav screen and it sounds great.
copout221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #178
RollTideRover
AF Newbie

Thank you for the information. I was scrolling back through some of the other info and I may have gotten this from another link, but is there a way to tell which nav/radio head unit I have without tearing into the console mounting area. I saw there were two or three version out there, one with touch screen, one without, and maybe one that doesn't have a connection for the changer. I have the nav unit that is touch screen and when I click the disk button on the face, right now it says no disk because I have the Nav disk in the single cd slot. Is there a part number in any packets that I can look up or look my unit up by VIN to see which head unit I have so I can "blast" the guys that were telling me it can't be done?

Thanks again
Marc
RollTideRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #179
copout221
AF Regular

There are touch screen and non touch screen units. Each version is either a standard bose unit or a bose luxury unit that uses a different amplifier. The lux bose unit is only found in the Hummer, Escalade, Denali, Etc while the standard bose radio's are in the Tahoes, Trailblazers, Yukons, Etc. The changer DOES NOT connect to a plug on the back of the radio. It has about eight different wires that must be spliced into the existing radio harness. The changer can be installed on any Nav radio regardless if it is Lux or non-lux, touch screen or non-touch screen. Hope this helps.
copout221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #180
Denalix5
AF Regular

I'm not sure if this has been covered already, but you need to be very careful when buying a nav off of e-bay. When buying the nav unit, you need to be sure you buy one that is made for your type of vehicle. Navs for Tahoes, Yukon's and Suburbans require the nav for a premium amp. Navs for Denali's, Escalades, and Hummers require the luxury amp model. They are not interchangeable. Also when buying a used nav you need to have it reprogrammed at the dealer to match your vin #. Factory new navs do not require the tech 2 reprogramming from the dealer. The new navs should be plug and play.

I'm in the process of changing the nav in my 04 YD from the INR nav to a TNR (touch screen). The other day the dealer even made a mistake and ordered the wrong nav for my truck. They ordered the TNR for the Yukon when I needed the TNR for the Denali. They look exactly the same but they can't be interchanged.
Denalix5 is offline   Reply With Quote