Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:34 PM   #1
~ls/vtec~
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to ~ls/vtec~
ls vtec question.

i almost have my ls vtec completed but now im stuck. i heard that i have to use a gsr oil pan. but i dont know, what is the diffrenece between the ls oil pan and the gsr oil pan. cause i tried to find a gsr oil pan but no one wants to sell one
~ls/vtec~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:08 AM   #2
crabby760
AF Enthusiast

i think the only difference is the gsr oil pan is pre tapped for vtec and the ls u have to tap it so ur vtec will work...?
crabby760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:21 PM   #3
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
You should not need the GSR oil pan unless you are running a GSR main cap girddle and oil pick up, If you are running the girddle and pick up than the GSR oil pump is a little deeper I think and the oil pick up will be too long for the LS pan.

P.S if you don't have the girddle then don't worry about a GSR oil pan, but get a Z10 girddle it will run you less in the long run b/c with the stock GSR girddle you have to use the girddle,maincaps, bolts, oil pick up, and the il pan all from the GSR but with the Z10 girddle you get everything you need with it. Check it out not sure about price but I am sure it would not be more than $200 at the most but more like $100 or so, but well worth it.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
~ls/vtec~
AF Enthusiast

i have every thing from a gsr except the oil pick up and the oil pan. i have an integra type r oil pump, gsr girdle, and the little thing that is down there underneath the girdle. should i just use my ls oil pick up and ls oil pan? cuz im tired of looking for that stuff. a brand new oil pan is $177 and the oil pick up is $44( from dealer)
Old 10-30-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
You need the GSR oil pan and oil pickup. Also make sure you have the three main caps that the girdle mounts with because the LS main caps will not work with the girdle and also you need the main cap bolts for the GSR too, but I would just buy a set a ARP they are not real expensive and better than stock. Try looking at thepartstrader.com there is usually at least one persoon on there selling this stuff.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
~ls/vtec~
AF Enthusiast

hey thanks for ur help. its relly hard to find good people these days, that are willing to help out the needy.

ill have to spend 250 to 320 but u know what they say, better safe than sorry. i spent over a thousand dollars on my engine already, i dont want to blow it after the first couple of times i drive it. gotta make sure it stays lubricated everywhere at all times.

by the way this is what i have done to the motor so far:
-B18B1 bored to 81.5mm
-GSR head
-SRP pistons, C/R: 11.4/1
-JE Rings
-Eagle H beam rods w/ ARP bolts
-Type r oil pump

i have a mugen chipped ecu, 8.5mm ignition wires, headers, intake, exhaust. in the future im looking to port and polish my head and get some better cams. all this is going in to my 97 hatch with a feels wide body kit.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
Sulsa
AF Enthusiast

Re: ls vtec question.

The 3main block girdle from Z10 is $229 at their site, and then you still have to buy a GSR/ITR oil pickup, main bolts, windage tray, and oil pan. The Z10 did integrate the girdle with the 3 center main caps tho, so you wouldn't have to buy those. I can't see where this is worth it unless you went with heavy forced induction, and might actually need it.

FYI, whichever way you go, you need to have your main's line bored/honed if you swap the caps out, (either with gsr or the z10 setup).

Engine is in the car!

Installed parts

GSR block/head, ARP head studs, eagle rods, Endyn pistons/rings, King bearings, REV stainless valves, Portlfow springs &Tit. retainers, BBK 70mm Throttle body, RC 310cc Injectors, Aerospeed plug wires, generic 2.75" CAI, Civic SI crank pulley, 130amp alternator, Hondata S300 in P72 ECU

01 GSR shocks/springs, 17" Enkei Zenkei's, Homemade Black ABS trunk floor

Mods: Removed AC system, routed Coolant Outside Intake Mani
Sulsa is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical