Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 08:29 PM   #1
Gamezilla
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Gamezilla
Question What's the best car out there for under $5k

Right now I drive my mom's old 91 GXE. It's not a bad car, but my mom took VERY poor care of it, and I'm gonna have to "share" it with my sister in August when she turns 16. Now, I know this isn't going to work, so I've started looking for a new car. Right now I'm kinda interested in another Maxima (92-94 SE 5spd), but the kind I'm looking for is just about as rare as a Supra. I don't really want to get a 4th gen (cheaper quality and rattles), though. I want a car that has a decent amount of hp in it from the start, but it really won't matter cause I'm gonna mod it anyway. I'm really lookin for a car that:

1) runs pretty cheap
2) lasts a LONG time (I've seen Maxima's with 300k+ miles)
3) Can be modded pretty easily and pretty cheaply (preferably by myself)
4) Looks sproty/luxuries or just sporty
5) Is at least a V6
6) Can hold more than 2 people (preferably, but if there's a car out there that fits all the other catagories, then that can work too)
7) Has at least 160hp (I'm not taking a step back from my Maxima unless I can mod it for DIRT cheap to raise the hp a lot)
8) Has a pretty reliable (at least as reliable as the Maxima)

I know it's a lot to ask for, but I garantee someone out there was looking for the same thing and found it. If anyone has any suggestions, just post (I'm pretty open to just about any suggestions).

It may be a piece of crap, but it still pushes 160hp!
Gamezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 10:29 AM   #2
blacksnake98
AF Enthusiast

Personally, I would recommend a 87-93 Mustang 5.0. It is still my favorite body style of Mustang, and it's hard to beat the old 302c.i.d. engine. They could take a beatin' and keep on tickin'. Not to mention, you can modify the engine to unheard of power for a small block V8. Just my .02.

1991 LX - 8.36 @ 83.13...1.82 60'
Shooting for 8.10's or better w/ stock heads, a shit cam and a factory production intake.

blacksnake98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 01:15 PM   #3
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
For 5K I would think mods are not going to be coming for awhile. You should redirect any mod money to getting a better car. However, if getting a quick car reliable car for 5K is what you want. The Tarus SHO is not a bad bet. It has the best engine that Ford ever built.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:17 PM   #4
LiuBei
AF Regular

I would go out and buy something with the label Honda or Toyota on it. Like an older civic, accord, or camry. You can't go wrong. And believe me take what you can get, not always what you want
Old 12-17-2001, 11:29 PM   #5
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
88 toyota corolla gts. okay its not v6 and it doesnt have 160 hp, but can be had for dirt cheap (if u can find one), reliable as hell, front engine rear wheel drive 5spd with a light chassis and good suspension makes for a GREAT handler, fun as hell to drive! and the aftermarket is very large for it as they are extremely popular in japan for road racing and drifting. even though it doesnt have 160 hp im doubting it would lose to your maxima, if it did it wouldnt be by much. but it HAS to ba a gts, and they a lot harder to find than the regular corollas.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 08:28 AM   #6
Bean Bandit
AF Enthusiast

Well I don't know if this car exists where you live but for what you asked you should take a look on Opel Calibra V6. They are pretty nice and about what you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calibra123.jpg (11.3 KB, 1312 views)
Fun is not a straight line. AFs member #299, loyal european support since 02/2001.
Bean Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:26 AM   #7
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Quote:
Originally posted by YogsVR4
For 5K I would think mods are not going to be coming for awhile. You should redirect any mod money to getting a better car. However, if getting a quick car reliable car for 5K is what you want. The Tarus SHO is not a bad bet. It has the best engine that Ford ever built.
At first I was gonna suggest a 87-93 Mustang and I still will. As long as you not tooo picky bout having a car that is only really a 2 seater. Those engines are bullit proof. I have an 83' wit a 302 and it has 260,000 beat on miles and still runs fine. Also the are a ton of parts the engine is a lot easier to work on than a jap car and parts are cheaper. You can get an absolute cherry one for $5000 and good luck finding one that hasn't already been moded. Avoid autos though, weak tranny

But then I saw YogsVR4 suggestion and agree. This was my first car so I can tell you the FORD Taurus SHO is an awesome car. This car was designed to compete with the Maxima and even more so BMW 3-series. You can get it with a 5-speed,sunroof, leather, etc.., This car is faster than a Maxima SE and turns better. The years you want is between 92-95 this is before the used the ugly body with the slower V-8. Prob with this car is it does not have the best engine ford ever made... It has the best engine Yahama ever made. The V-6 is made by Yahama and puts out 2220hp at 3.0L for the 5spd and 3.2L with auto both have same hp rating. Because of this parts for this engine can be very expensive cause they come staright from Japan. Also the aftermarket parts for this car are tought to find and very expensive. But if you want a sharp looking 4-door car that can run with a 5.0 Mustang and then out turn it, this is the right car.

P.S. The engines are know for getting 200,000+ miles
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:41 PM   #8
CivyFellow
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CivyFellow
I'm telling you Honda Civic

Only 125 hp, But the car only weighs 1900 pounds which means the thing will move. Fun to drive. I can't tell you enogh sometimes i just go out and drive it around the country where i live and thats the best part of my day. The trunk space is huge for a phat ass system. (i've got a 15 a 10 and two 12's in there with storebought boxes too) The mods for a civic are very easy and cheap for an import. And they will last forever. Find a Used Civic Today!

-why are mugen parts so expensive
CivyFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:00 PM   #9
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
OK, here are two choices that will have cheaper insurance than a muscle car (but all insurance will be pricey, it kept me from a car )

1) Toyota MR2 SuperCharged. 1987-1989. They made very few of these, but if you find one, they are awesome. 1.6L, 145hp stock, mid-engine, 2 seats, t-top, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, its hella fast and fun. The first choice. I saw one in decent shape for 2500, in good shape, maybe 4000. Then you can bypass the electro-magnetic blower (free), and get a different pulley (or an SC14 supercharger). Get some simple intake/exhaust, and a chip. BAM! 200+hp, 0-60 deep in the 5's (kill Boxters and stangs all day long ) It will stay withing your budget.

2) 1988-1989 Mazda 323 GTX. An 80's WRX. Has a 1.6L turbo 4 with 132 hp at 6000rpm and about 135lb-ft, making it very flexible and fast in the city and low speeds. It has a rally-inspired all-wheel drive, and an awesome 5-speed stick. It goes 0-60 in 8.1 seconds, but here are some mods: intake, chip, exhaust, clutchmaster clutch, more boost, and some free stuff (bye bye, PCV!), and 200hp is yours, as is a low 6-second 0-60. It seats 5. It looks like shit, but is really, really fun to drive. C&D called it one of the most fun cars to drive ever, and the 4 editors gushed all over it. figure maybe 3-4 grand, then 1 more for these mods. They only imported 1500, so hard to find.

Any questions?
Old 01-18-2002, 12:49 AM   #10
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
OK, here are two choices that will have cheaper insurance than a muscle car (but all insurance will be pricey, it kept me from a car )

1) Toyota MR2 SuperCharged. 1987-1989. They made very few of these, but if you find one, they are awesome. 1.6L, 145hp stock, mid-engine, 2 seats, t-top, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, its hella fast and fun. The first choice. I saw one in decent shape for 2500, in good shape, maybe 4000. Then you can bypass the electro-magnetic blower (free), and get a different pulley (or an SC14 supercharger). Get some simple intake/exhaust, and a chip. BAM! 200+hp, 0-60 deep in the 5's (kill Boxters and stangs all day long ) It will stay withing your budget.

Any questions?
I think your over estimating a 50hp gain shaving 1.5 seconds of your 0-60 time and also great 0-60 times to not calculate into good 1/4 mile times. You may jump of the line and take 3-5 car length lead but you feel pretty stupid when as u start to celebrate you'll see the car u just pulled away from fly bye u
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:11 AM   #11
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
actually both of the cars chris mentioned have been known to create 50-60 more hp with very basic bolt ons, i think it was SCC that had a project 323gtx and with only intake exhaust chip and tweaking of the stock boost controller they gained over 50hp at the wheels and almost 2 seconds in the 1/4
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 03:11 PM   #12
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Quote:
Originally posted by ldelaysionl
actually both of the cars chris mentioned have been known to create 50-60 more hp with very basic bolt ons, i think it was SCC that had a project 323gtx and with only intake exhaust chip and tweaking of the stock boost controller they gained over 50hp at the wheels and almost 2 seconds in the 1/4
Thats one of the beautiful things obout stock FI engines. They are so neutuered from the factory, it only takes a bit to open them up.

Also, the MR2 would benefit from some stiffer suspension, expecially at the front. You can also relocate the rear trailing arms using ones from a Gen II MR2. It moves them (I think) 4 inches farther forward, and will greatly reduce the chance of snap oversteer, and they also make the car easier to control and faster around the twisties.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:23 AM   #13
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
i'm thinkin maxima, accord v6, maybe an old bimmer...
Old 04-03-2002, 07:44 AM   #14
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
If you want something cheap, fun to drive, and at least marginally practical, get an old GTI. But if you absolutely need a V6, get a mustang.
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Fliquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:32 PM   #15
banchi105
Banned

Send a message via AIM to banchi105 Send a message via Yahoo to banchi105
i have found a few 92-93 bmw's (92 was the year they changed to the modern body style) for around the $5000 range.
Hey its a bmw
inline 6
banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote