Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
pcabn
AF Newbie

2001 front passenger door will not open

Front passenger will not open. It sounds like it unlocks but won't open. I was able to get door panel partially off. But i can not see the latch assembly. Not sure if I should try to muscle the panel off more probably destroying it so I can get to latch assembly or try to make a hook of some kind to put down next to window to try to pull rod for door latch. I was able to get my hand inside trying to pull on the arms to open but it never worked. Any ideas appreciated. Trying to see if I can get more access to spray it with something to free it up.
pcabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
pcabn
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 front passenger door will not open

Here is what I did to fix it. I could not remove the inner door panel all the way due to the fastner that is in the defrost duct going to the window. But I was able to remove the two screws in the door handle under the plastic strip the other by door by the latch lift up on the door panel and pull it back. Then I was playing with the rod to unlock the door, for the inner door handle and the rod to the outer door handle. The outer door handle rod was not being moved in a downward direction enough. If I pushed it down then the rod to unlock the door would move about a 1/4" more it would unlock and open. Finished removing door panel at this point. But it would only unlock 3 times then stop working again. Everything was pointing towards a bad actuator I bought one, took the door apart pulled out the window. Then I could see the outer door handle did not have enough motion.I fixed that using pb blaster and moving the door handle or sliding forward towards the hood of the. I could not see the latch assembly in the door I used my cell phone and took pictures of it with the window removed. I could see rust and dirt down where all the rods connected and the door latch. Again PB Blaster some white grease and works good as new. I cycle lock/unlock open door 100 times I think it is good. I would have replaced the acuator but could not figure out how to remove it from the door. Hope this can help someone else out.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Sometimes water can get down into that latch, and rust it up, so you don't get enough movement with the linkages......think about it......your inner linkage from the inside door handle and linkage from the outside door handle did not all of a sudden shrink in length.....it is the latch itself....

It's not the actuator...all that does is move the lock lever, which is the same as the manual linkage in your door panel......the latches stick......

If you ever need to replace the actuator in the future, remove the panel, water shield, two electrical harnesses, and disconnect the linkages(in some cases, with window up, may need to remove the rear window guide....remove lower bolt, and slide guide upward to release the tang)......then remove the three torx bolts from outside the door(latch area).....the actuator and the latch come out as a unit, and are then separated....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
pcabn
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. It was easy to fix once a I had the door open inside door panel removed and the window was out. If it happens again I think Ican fix it now without removing the window.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue