Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Cruise
AF Newbie

Ignition - starter issues

On occasion when I turn the key forward to start the car, the instrument panel will light up, but no ignition.
I turn it back and a couple of times later, it will start up.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
ctwright
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ignition - starter issues

I may can help, do you mean, that when you say no ignition that you can turn the key all the way and the starter engages but won't let it start because you don't have power to your ignition, or do you mean that everything is working other than the starter engaging. I know you said ignition just need to know for sure.

I will try to give a basic run down though of both cases that might help you get started.

In either case however you could have a bad ignition switch.

CASE 1

If it's the starter not turning over, I would recommend checking your solenoid switch, on your vehicle this should be located on the starter itself. Check with a test light or volt meter to see that you are getting voltage to the solenoid switch when the key is in the start position. This could be hard to do however since your problem is intermittent, so I would recommend using a test light, having it inside to where you can leave it near the dash, ground one side of the light and adding enough wire to the other side to run into the engine compartment, so that way when the problem does happen you will know. If the light comes on, your solenoid switch is bad, refer to your haynes manual if you have one to figure out which small post on the solenoid to hook your test lead to which is supposed to have power when key is in start. Not one of the big ones

One big wire has 12 volts all the time straight from your battery, and ther other big one after the solenoid engages and contacts get closed, which is by 12 volts being applied to the smaller wire coming from the ignition switch down to your solenoid, that is the one you are checking for. Once again if you have voltage their when key is in start but still not starting it's you need a solenoid, because the contacts aren't closing and allowing power to get from the big wire from the battery to the other side going to the starter.

CASE 2

I think you may have meant in this case that your accessories are coming on but know ignition, not sure however.

Listen for your fuel pump to come on, when turning the vehicle on, if you can't hear it, their should be a valve somewhere under the hood you can press a screwdriver down on while the switch is in the on position, gas should spew out. If it does, that lets you know that the problem is not in the ignition switch on the steering column, as long as it is one of the times you are having the problem you are talking about. Also check for battery voltage going into your ignition coil(s) with the key in the on position. If volage is their the problem probably lies within the ignition module or coil or coil packs. I'm no expert but I hope that helps. Also make sure that your ignition fuse isn't loose in the fuse compartment.
ctwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
guy learning
AF Newbie

man i got the same problem . i dont get power to the wire harrness on the starter. fuses are good we sent it to the dealer last time but i cant figure it out to save my life. relays good . i turn keu over with my test light in the wire harness and light doesnt come on. no clicks no nothing . if some one could help out on this problem thanks
guy learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
thisnametooktolong
AF Regular

anti theft, nutral switch, bad ign switch
thisnametooktolong is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure