Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:12 AM   #16
caddyman379
AF Regular

Re: transmission help

well my experience has been that they go because of age, they get hard and brittle and one day that vacuum, even thought its not alot, just kills it. Plus, think about all the heating/cooling cycles its subjected to.
caddyman379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyman379
well my experience has been that they go because of age, they get hard and brittle and one day that vacuum, even thought its not alot, just kills it. Plus, think about all the heating/cooling cycles its subjected to.
it is just a rubber diaphram, so that makes total sense
Ian Szgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #18
chevyguy93
AF Regular

okay. so heres the update.
Installed a new vacuum modulator and checked the governor. Still the same problem.

While driving, it shifts a little late from first into second. When you get around 44kms/h (about time for it to shift into 3rd) it slips and goes into neutral. You have to let your foot off the gas, and slowly press it in order for it to shift into 3rd.

I believe I did everything I could. I now believe that the problem is inside the transmission itself. I'm going to be phoning around for prices on used transmissions and debating whether I should sell it as-is.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy93
Installed a new vacuum modulator and checked the governor. Still the same problem.

While driving, it shifts a little late from first into second. When you get around 44kms/h (about time for it to shift into 3rd) it slips and goes into neutral. You have to let your foot off the gas, and slowly press it in order for it to shift into 3rd.

I believe I did everything I could. I now believe that the problem is inside the transmission itself. I'm going to be phoning around for prices on used transmissions and debating whether I should sell it as-is.
So you noticed no difference at all?
Before replacing, your next step should be checking the shift solenoids... you don't have to have the trans pulled for that, just have to take off the pan... that may not be entirely possible for you alone to do, but it's an option when concidering service. How much did you pay for the shift solenoid?
Ian Szgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #20
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy93

Im sorry but its my experience, as the son of a trans rebuilder, that your transmission is due for an overhaul. Usually on GM FWD transmissions, especially of the era you are speaking of - the forward clutches and so forth are worn beyond any further service duty. You can buy a rebuilt unit on ebay or from a local rebuilder and R&R.

We've told customers before who dont want to spend the $$ to actually disconnect the modulator and put a screw in the vacuum hose. You "might" get a few more miles out of it this way.
What transmission model do you have (4T60E? 440T?) How many miles?

2005 Saturn L300
V6, Chrome rims, Moonroof
44,000 miles
Chriznat20@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #21
caddyman379
AF Regular

well, that is certainly true. But before you do any of that, (this is a generic fix i know) you should check the tranny fluid and ensure its clean, and drain some and add some Seafoam. I've heard good stuff about it. I've never used it. Out of curosity, if you go down the floor from a standstill, does it redline? It's supposed to shift at or slightly below redline.
caddyman379 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series