Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
goldberg68
AF Newbie

89 Oldsmobile Cutless

I have an 89 Oldsmobile Cutless Supreme with 110k that I have been having trouble with. I had trouble one day while driving the car I excellerated and the car died on the road. The car would not start. The car was towed home and it started the next morning but when shut off it would not restart. I had a new muffler system from front to back put on, a new fuel pump, and filter put in. The car ran for about 1 week without problems and then it died once again, this time never to start again. I took it to a mechanic who had it for about two months unable to find the problem. They believe the problem is electrical, not the computer. They put in a known working computer and it still would not start and checked all codes came up clear. There is spark at the plugs and the fuel is reaching the injectors, the engine will crank but will not start. When I was at the mechanic shop two other cars Identical to mine came in with the same problem in the same situation the cars just quit while running. I did notice before the car started with this problem that the engine was idleing high then low. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
goldberg68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Unhappy Re: 89 Oldsmobile Cutless

If there is spark and there is known to be no injector pulse the issue can be no power to the injectors, blown fuse, no signal from the pcm to fire the injectors, bad pcm, bad connections. Is there strong blue spark on all 6 plugs, is there cranking rpms when put on a scanner, these are all the basic diagnostics done by any competent shop, no magic here.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
goldberg68
AF Newbie

Re: 89 Oldsmobile Cutless

I just got finished putting new spark plugs and wires and still it only cranks but will not start. There is fuel getting to the injectors.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
jsgold
AF Enthusiast

i do not know what motor you have but sounds like the crank sensor and/or the ignition module. On the 4 cyl they are actually together and separate on 6 cyl. Either one can cause this and neither will set a code of any kind. My dad's 89 had the module fail and the crank sensor was in bad shape as well as his (2.5 4 cyl) crank sensor is inside the motor a good ways and had cracks. The module was tested and was bad. if it is getting fuel, I would think it has to be one of these two or even both. the crank sensor controls when it fires and the module gives it the power to spark. have them remove and test. If they can't they can take the module to any good parts store and have tested... It might be firing but weak,or maybe firing at wrong time. Just a thought. Of course Maxwedge might be right, just have to rule these things out.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:37 AM   #5
goldberg68
AF Newbie

thanks I'll try that also for the record It's a V6 3.1L
Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
maxwedge
A990 racer

Question Re: 89 Oldsmobile Cutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberg68
I just got finished putting new spark plugs and wires and still it only cranks but will not start. There is fuel getting to the injectors.
You still have not done the diagnostics as suggested, injector pulse, rpms on scanner, power to the injectors???
Old 04-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
goldberg68
AF Newbie

Just finished having the starter, alternator and battery checked all tested good. The relay's are also testing good. There is fuel to the injectors and spark but still will not start.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

Question Re: 89 Oldsmobile Cutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberg68
Just finished having the starter, alternator and battery checked all tested good. The relay's are also testing good. There is fuel to the injectors and spark but still will not start.
How do you know the injectors are squirting fuel/pulsing? You keep saying there is fuel to the injectors and??
Old 04-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
goldberg68
AF Newbie

I haven't seen the fuel to the injectors it's just what the mechanics told me. I just got the car back two days ago and I have been working on it since. I will look into that next.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
goldberg68
AF Newbie

Just checked the fuel regulator there is fuel getting to it but not coming out.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

Again, how do you know the fuel is not getting past the regulator how are you checking this?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #12
goldberg68
AF Newbie

We have the fuel regulator fully exposed. We left outlet open and we have fuel entering the inlet side nothing coming out of the outlet side. The fuel pressure that was entering it tested around 45 psi.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
goldberg68
AF Newbie

Just put in a new fuel regulator, and checked all the injectors evrything is working good. Car still will not start. Any Ideas would be great. Computer is working, and all fuses and relays are good and working properly. Help
Old 04-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
jsgold
AF Enthusiast

Is this engine firing?? How well?? If you are getting gas then I would try getting the igniton module tested. Can be done for free at NAPA, Advance etc. If suspect replace it. Might replace the crank sensor too, both common items on GM cars. It is cheap at < 20 bucks. the module will set you back a lot more.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
goldberg68
AF Newbie

Replaced the crank sensor and Ignition module still nothing, the car cranks strong but will not start.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series