Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #16
mcrosby
AF Newbie

Re: 89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Questions

One option is to remove the computer you now have and reflow the solder on every solder joint. A little tedious but, if your used to soldering, no big deal.
mcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:43 AM   #17
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

Yea, if you are good with soldering, that would do it...me, I couldnt solder to save my life.lol Everytime I try, I fail miserably and make a mess...also, I guess I just dont have the patience to learn do do it more effectively...
malletslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:04 AM   #18
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpopilek
Well I understand that there is a potential for more problems by getting the same computer. But do I have any other choice? I can't very well take a ECM from another type of car and make it work can I? Or is there a ECM that is pretty much the same as the 1227727 that will work? I know that there is a 1227730, but that is an inside car ECM and the connections are different. Thanks!
Uhoh...I may have made an ass out of myself... I assumed!!! that since GM used the same engines in our cars, they also used the same engine control setups...Camaros dont have the ECM in the engine bay...they are in the dash, which I think is smarter because of the extreme heat in the engine bay...
Since our cars use the same engines, the ECMs may be interchangeable so here are some pics of my spare so you can compair them to yours and figure out if they are interchangeable(but Im not holding my breath)...

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/2554/img01257il.jpg

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2985/img00975td.jpg

Well there it is...
malletslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #19
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Yeah, that one will not work. Mine is the weatherproof style that sits under the hood. It also has 4 connectors that go into it. I did find out that the 1227727 is pretty much the same unit as a 16149396, just that the 2nd one has more memory in it. These are the 2 ECMs that I have currently.

Also, could the ECM be causing the digital dash and the message center to not come on? The dash shows nothing, and the message center either shows nothing or just garbage. I have tried both of my ECM's and get the same results.
bpopilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #20
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

If the car has a body control module that is probably the problem with the message center and possibly the dash.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:14 AM   #21
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
If the car has a body control module that is probably the problem with the message center and possibly the dash.
Where would I look for the BCM at? Thank you!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #22
bpopilek
AF Newbie

This past weekend I picked up a replacement ECM for the car and guess what! Still the same issue! hehe. I now have 3 different ECM's that all produce the same result, nothing. When I turn the key to the run position the charge light on the dash comes on, but nothing else. When I try to crank the engine over, the check engine light comes on and stays on, unitl I stop turning the motor over. I cannot get the computer to show me any codes whatsoever. I have checked the C100 & C200 connectors in the engine comparment and under the dash and they appear to be connected well. I have also checked and replaced any blown fuses in the car. Is there somthing that I could be missing? I know there is a fuse for the ECM under the hood and in the fuse block, are there any others that I should check? Any further ideas or suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #23
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Run a seperate ground to the ecm and make sure you have a good ground connection. This sounds like a power issue since the CEL comes on when you crank the engine and not when you just have the key on. Also check the hot wire to the ecm with a volt meter. If there is no voltage except when cranking then you have a problem with power. I would check the fusable links at the starter as one may be bad. Good Luck
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #24
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Edited

Last edited by bpopilek; 04-17-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #25
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Well, I have determined at this point that the problem is most likely with the wire harness connector under the hood that connects to the interrior of the car. My next move is the same no matter the final result will be. Since the motor is good, I am going to start the process of pulling it out and rebuilding it. Once I have the motor out, I will have more access to the firewall connector and the rest of the wiring harness, so I may replace it and put it all back together, or I may scrap the rest of the car since it is in rough shape and find another body. My next question is that since this motor originally came out of a 92 beretta, and it is the older style 3.1l v6, does it matter what year vehicle I put the engine into? Or will it need to be a car that originally had that older style of 3.1? Thanks!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series