Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 05:04 AM   #61
Honoturtle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
Here, I got it! The car is a "Dream Car."

Think about it, if you love 1969 Camaros, at least at one time you wanted to have a L-71 427 c.i.d. alumminum block model. I mean, there are many different ways you could get one. Weather it was a RS/SS, Z-28, etc. The alumminum 427 was the one that you couldn't obtain since it is so rare to come accross an original. The best of the best! Look at me, I own SIX 1969 Chevrolet Camaro model cars, each one different. It turned into an obsession. Same theory, except a totally different car, Skyline. It's car that very hard to grasp here, the car has turned into a legend to all Import Tunners in America, it's the car that you always try to reach for, and if you own one, you'll get all the ladies .

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Old 07-15-2003, 06:59 AM   #62
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech
HAHA I dont think to many ladies would know a Skyline from a 4-door Civic in America
Old 07-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #63
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

You don't know many ladies in America.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:21 PM   #64
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by freakmech
HAHA I dont think to many ladies would know a Skyline from a 4-door Civic in America
Certainly more than would know a Silvia from a 240SX...
Old 07-15-2003, 06:33 PM   #65
JDM Wagon
AF Enthusiast

Honoturtle has a point. i have model several different styles and brands of auto's but i have almost every Honda Accord Wagon model there is. now you say why an accord wagon? well first off i own one and second i just love them. it's different and there very few modified wagons ( in the US that is) they are all over the place here in japan, but i love the car.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #66
jdmwhizkid
AF Newbie

I guess I see your point now that its more of a misconception that the Skyline is such an easily tunable car. It probably has to do with the fact that Skylines are so rare in most other parts of the world, and the ones that are imported are usually GT-R's and GTS-T's. There are 4-door Skylines but people don't know about them because the media only covers 600-1000+HP supercars. So I guess we can blame Nissan for this whole controversy for depriving us of such an amazing platform.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:37 PM   #67
thizishkenny
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to thizishkenny
the reason i like skylines is because it is my favorite car. Its that simple
Old 07-16-2003, 03:43 AM   #68
Honoturtle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
Quote:
Well, you havn't met the ladies I know..........

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Old 07-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #69
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM Wagon

i think that is the funny part. japan's economy is in the gutter that's for sure, but you want to see some building fools, japanese love to build. anyhow, nissan has closed several of thier larger plants due to low sales.
not sure what the deal is, but i know there is a plant near me that went from producing the Z to producing one of thier larger vans and now is shut down for good. my wife (she is japanese) informs me quite often about the progress of nissan and it is never good. she tells me that their sales keeps going down. i think that is the major reason the changed to body style on most of thier line-up.
i really wish i could understand japanese better so i could give you the down and dirty from japanese news but sorry. limited to the wife's translated info when available.
Nissan is doing pretty good recently. Workers are getting paid more, and the share holders are receiving more, too. In fact, they could have paid more, but instead, the board decided to spend more money on development, so that Nissan can stay competitive in the next decade. Closing of plant and dealers is due to the fact that they needed to got rid of unnecessary assets, which they should have done in early 90s.
Just a few years ago, their stock was less than 300 yen, now it's more than 1100 yen.

Old 07-16-2003, 05:11 PM   #70
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by hirofkd

Nissan is doing pretty good recently. Workers are getting paid more, and the share holders are receiving more, too. In fact, they could have paid more, but instead, the board decided to spend more money on development, so that Nissan can stay competitive in the next decade. Closing of plant and dealers is due to the fact that they needed to got rid of unnecessary assets, which they should have done in early 90s.
Just a few years ago, their stock was less than 300 yen, now it's more than 1100 yen.
Nissan sales are up 21% in America, higher than any other make sold here.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:08 AM   #71
skylinehks
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to skylinehks Send a message via AIM to skylinehks
hey all its been awhile since i wrote, school started... but i can't miss this thread....

im 20, jr in college... I loved the GTR since 7th grade.... when the BCNR32 came out...

I think many modelers have fallen in love with this car because in the forums they see this car, and its a natural beauty, I've cousins in Australia and Hong Kong, some of their friends have this car, and yes PMAN is right, you really have to see it in real life to feel its "auora" <-- butcherd that spelling I believe.

But its the fact everyone in the AF Modeling forums seen it, and grown a liking for them, so they build them, and it is a crazy car in Gran Turismo, which really blow the skyline gtr from its covers in the shadow to the other side of the globe (america).

Some specs to confirm... reading along the post i gotta correct some stuff...

registered GTRs in Northern America is about 80 - 90, about 60 in California and the rest are scattered.

There are none in Canada legal for the street

skylines can have upwards up 1000 hp, believe the fastest one is the Greddy SROC 1009hp.

G35 = rebadge skyline in japan market

skyline gtr and skyline are TWO different cars =D Don't confuse that

Last comment on the post... it is also a reason to build GTRs because they are the KING of the road, and its legend must be kepted, because they no longer make them... from 1989 - 2002 first model GTR32 to the last model the M Spec GTR34, the beast under the hood is now retired. So that there is a ultimate reason to build the GTRs... I started my collection, my R32 R33 and R34... which btw im almost complete in the same paint as the real car... soon to be displayed.

Legends are ment to be kept alive in stories... and in our case model cars... keep the feeling and spirit alive of the GTR

Peter

Current Project: 1/12 Nismo Skyline GTR32

Click here to see the progress
Old 07-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #72
asaenz
Sketch Guy

Americans like them because we don't have them here (easily available).

I saw my first skyline back in 5th grade.... and seen lots since then.
Well, I went to school in Japan...hee hee
Even had a chance to go to Nismo in Tokyo.

So I am an American who has seen them in real life.

My brother darn near bought an R34 but I talked him out of it.
Instead he bought a real JDM Type-R, much cheaper than the r34, paid
5k for it....hee hee

al
Old 07-21-2003, 11:43 AM   #73
shieldwulf
AF Regular

I know very little about real cars. But I love the Skyline GT-R almost the moment I see photos of it. I cannot explain why I like so much, but if I'm tied up to chair with forced interrogation...

My own stupid reasons why I like the Skyline GT-R:
1) Macho design....it's a man's car
2) Does not look like a Ferrari but performs like one
3) Original looking (even though perhaps many other cars resemble it)
4) Humble: looks like a gentle sedan and but performs like a Tasmanian devil
5) It's a man's car!!!

I especially love the look of the front, headlights, and the round rear taillights.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:00 PM   #74
blueboost
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
And actual Ghost this was an original arguement of mine as well. I think alot of people see these tuned out Skylines and are under the huge misconception that its an easy task to get 600+ horse power out of a Skyline. These cars in magazines are built by professional companies and the parts added cost as much as the car its self. the GT-R is limited to 280hp by Japanese law. and the other models are much lower. I dont think alot people understand how much it takes to make any car get 600hp much less a Skyline.
but with injectors (and boost controller) , downpipe intake and exhaust you will have 400HP. what other car can do that? yeah, 600HP mark is going to require turbo upgrades yadda yadda, but 400ish is very feasible almost out of the box so I disagree with the overall tone of your statement. I believe you were just throwing out the 600HP number, but skylines get very fast with a couple of turns of the wrenchy. they are DEtuned from the factory. and the only other car I can think of that can even compare with the GT-R engines willingness to produce high HP #'s with stock internals is the 2JZ in the supra. the RB26 engine has had over 1500HP pumped through it with stock internals and not blown. its the only engine in the world that can make that claim.
Nissan = bulletproof. period.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:00 PM   #75
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech
and your right... the engine is unbelievable and again, im a 240SX owner and think alot of Nissan engines are capable of doubling horsepower with stock interals. the 600HP number actually came from the ones ive seen in tuner mags and this is the general mark for media coverage for these car. so it wasnt exactly thrown out there. but for what you said to get to the 400HP mark, your still talking about $3000+ and then you need to think about suspension upgrades that will handle that. i general alot of people dont understand that there is alot more to preformance then engine mods and the expense of this. for example... when i began doing the bolt on tuning of my 240sx i add a Strut Bar to stiffen up the front-end instead off replacing struts and springs first. well it did help but after a few months of hard driving it got really loose. i couldnt figure it out. so one day i had to replace my starter cellinoid and will under the car i found that the stress from the strut bar had sheered the bolts that held the bottom sway bar inplace! the lesson is... more HP doesnt mean youve got a quality ride because if your just bolting crap on in the long run your screwing other things up. its just not as easy as adding some injectors. there is alot to think about.