Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
benw
AF Newbie

I need some expertise!!!!!!!

Hey all. I need some help. Recently I was driving my 2002 Protege and sensed an intense burning smell for a brief minute then it was gone. Later, when driving my dash lights came on one at a time and I noticed my headlights were dimming until I finally lost all power and was stuck. After a minute I had power enough to put my hazard lights on, but not enough to start it up. I got a jump and it started but a half mile later it did the same thing all over. I had to have it towed to a shop. Everyone says they think it is the alternator but I am concerned that the smell earlier on was something shorting out and that it is an electrical problem draining my power. I have had alternators go before but never had a car lose power like that on the road. Any thoughts?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Bmwjay
AF Newbie

Re: I need some expertise!!!!!!!

That was your burning smell,9 times out of 10 your alternator went, replace it your self not a hard job, if it works fine there's your problem if not take the alternator back and get your money back and go from there!! Note your computer was loosing power thats y your lights were going crazy
Bmwjay is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alternator , electrical , problem , short
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro