Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Discovery | LR3 | LR4
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 06:19 PM   #1
Adam Check
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Adam Check
Whats better? Discovery or Grand Cherokee

I get asked this a lot and now I want to throw it out to the boards. Whats better, Discovery or Grand Cherokee? For me, it all depends on what the intended use is for. For all daily driving, no off road, then I say the GC is better. For off road/daily driver, Discovery by far. What do you think?
Adam Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 02:33 AM   #2
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I'd take the Discovery in a hearbeat. They kick ass!
Old 06-04-2001, 08:34 AM   #3
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
If you are a turnkey driver, I'd say neither. they both have some mechanical quality issues, they will visit the shop a bunch. but for pure SUV worthiness, I would go with the Disco. It's got an enormous interior, dual offset axles, coil sprung front and rear, easily liftable, looks good with a winch and ARB, and has been proven in some of the toughest events man can throw at a truck.

Matt
Old 06-04-2001, 01:48 PM   #4
Adam Check
AF Newbie

I agree with Matt. If you are going to drive on smooth pavement everyday, then get a damn car! The Discovery is like no other in terms of off road capabilities. The only stock production vehicles that can beat it are the Defender and the Unimog! The new DiscoII is more capable than the DiscoI in all regards except approach angle, which is not a concern anymore once you lift it and put on an ARB bumper. Did you know that Land Rover had to modify its vehicle tracks at the dealers to accomodate for the DII's lesser approach angle? If we see this trend continue, it may not be a good sign...

Old 09-10-2001, 04:40 PM   #5
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Get a freaking car or wagon!!!!

Anyway, my grandpa just got a fully loaded GC.
I would take the Jeep because it is better riding, faster, and really good off road, almost as good as teh Disco. They both have solid axles and a low range, but the Jeep has limited slip front, rear and middle. I dont know what the Disco has.

Either way, get a car or an old International scout, stuff a small block in, 44 inch super swamper tires, huge suspension and body lift, lockers, Awesome transfer case (like an Atlas II), Dana 60 front, 70 rear, and it will go anywhere. Use the money you saved on a nice slightly used Audi A4 2.8 Quattro.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:15 AM   #6
TRUBRIT10
AF Newbie

Thumbs up DISCOVERY

ARE YOU TALKING DISCOVERY OR SERIES II?
I HEAR ALOT ABOUT SHOP PROBLEMS, BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE GEARED TOWARDS DISCOVERY. I HAVE A SERIES II AND IT RUNS LIKE A DREAM ON AND OFF ROAD. WHENEVER I GO TO TAHOE/RENO AND GO OFFROAD FOR A FEW MILES, YOU GREATLY APPRECIATE THE RIDE AND SENSE OF SECURITY IN THE SUPERIOR ENGINE. MOST US MODELS HAVE MUSHY SUSPENSION, WHICH ALLOWS FOR MOTION SICKNESS! OR THEY ARE ROCKSOLID, WHICH MEANS YOU FEEL EVERY TINY BUMP. 1 AM 99.99% HAPPY WITH MY DISC II. THE ONROAD PLUS FOR ME IS THE PICKUP. MOST REVIEWS THAT I HAVE READ COMPLAIN ABOUT SUDDEN ACCELERATION ON THE FREEWAY AND SLOW GOING.
FIRSTLY, AND LET ME SAY THIS LOUDLY.....
"THIS IS NOT A SPORTS CAR!!!!!" I AM A EUROPEAN WHO STILL LIKES TO DRIVE THE EURO STYLE, FAST WITH LOT'S OF GEAR CHANGING.
TURNS MY WIFES HAIR WHITE, BUT WHAT CAN I SAY?
I THINK THAT FOR AN 'SUV' (HATE THAT TERM) THE DISC II PEELS AWAY LIKE A DREAM, ESPECIALLY WITH SPORT MODE ENGAGED.
WITH A.C.E. TIGHT CORNERING ON EXIT RAMPS ARE ALMOST A PLEASURE! THE 00.01% THAT I DON'T LIKE IS THE TINY REAR DOORS FOR THE PASSENGERS. RIGHT NOW THAT IS FINE FOR MY 15 MONTH OLD AND HER CAR SEAT, BUT I FIGURE THAT ONCE I HAVE PAID OFF THIS DISC II I WILL GRADUATE TO THE RANGE ROVER.
THERE YOU GO. OH, AND IF YOU THINK I AM DROOLING A LITTLE OVER THE DISC II. I'M BRITISH, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? LOL
TRUBRIT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 12:00 PM   #7
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Over here, the Disco II is considered slow.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:19 AM   #8
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Maddog
Agreed, the Disco is seen as a bit underpowered in Canda and the states. However, for offroading applications, I see the Disco as being a bit better than the GC.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:24 PM   #9
ZondaFreak02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ZondaFreak02
DISCOVERY DEFINATLY...JEEPS DONT COMPARE
ZondaFreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:44 AM   #10
Blackbird01
AF Enthusiast

I agree that there is NO COMPARISON between a Disco and GC.
Some of the things I've seen done at our dealership is simply amazing.

From a mechanical background, I'm not too sure on how good a GC is.
As a Land Rover tech, I will tell you that they aren't the GREATEST mechanically speaking. Some people have a few problems here and there, most, if not all are easily fixed at the dealership within a day or 2. Others on the other hand won't have a problem at all. Just get the extended warrantee. Trust me, you'll be sorry if you dont.

Blackbird01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:14 PM   #11
Adam Check
AF Newbie

good to see that this thread is staying a civilized discussion

the new 03 DIIs are the ballz! ive never seen such a cool looking discovery from the factory floor. the approach angle is phenomenal for a stock truck. oh yeah and its got the 4.6 motor now!

plus they look awesome!

2003 discovery SII!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 07:09 PM   #12
soccermac15
AF Newbie

Discoveries kick ass

okay first i must say i am a little biased here because i drive a 2001 SE which i got for x-mas to replace a 1996 SE7. But, i have to say that hands down the rover takes the cake. I have been in a couple races on the road with the jeep and it holds its own, especially if you put it in sports mode on the DII and i suppose the DIII. Off road however there is no contest. The rover is not going to flip, period. I have pulled donuts in fields where i was slidding completely sideways, 90 degrees to straight driving, released the gas and not even had it tilt. Also, the low torque of the engine allows the driver to idle forward without using the gas. This prevents the lurch SUVs experience when the gas is applied which could mean hitting a tree in tight places off road. Through in the HDC (Hill Discent Control) and its unstoppable. Finally, lets not forget that it has the high and low gear sets and in the low, in the DIIs, the mode button will turn the transmission into a clutchless manuel. This means no down shifting when the wheels start to slip. If the car down shifts, the rpm will rev, the wheels will spin and you will slide back down the hill or get stuck. This simple feature will save your butt. I don't a winch of any kind and i have been stuck once when i tried to drive along the bank of my pond and slid in. No problem though, the Yukon Xl pulled me out!
soccermac15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:14 PM   #13
Greg95ZJ
AF Newbie

ignorance my friends... there is a reason why we in the jeep world call land rovers road posers. I wouldn't trade a ZJ/WJ (aka Grand Cherokee) even if you paid me. The grand is much better off road. The options in aftermarkets also allow for it to become a very hardcore vehicle.

www.nagca.com

The grand cherokee uses the dodge magnum V-8 up to 98 or the AMC designed 4.0 I6. both are linked to a very solid drivetrain, 200,000 miles is not uncommon before rebuilds. The dymler V-8 is now in the GC since 99 and has proven to be just as solid.
Greg95ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 09:15 AM   #14
fishweewee
AF Newbie

Re: Whats better? Discovery or Grand Cherokee

Kinda depends on what you want to do with them.

Most of the off-road driving I do is on sand (beaches while fishing), as well as winter snow/ice conditions.

For these applications, I think the Jeep GC's acquit themselves fairly well.

From a purely economical point of view, you're better off with the Jeep b/c you will likely spend less $$$ on repairs and upkeep than you would on a Discovery.

My Series I discovery is a money pit.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #15
anarkist61
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to anarkist61 Send a message via MSN to anarkist61
Re: Whats better? Discovery or Grand Cherokee

ANYTHING by Chrysler these days will spend more time on a tow truck than on the road. GC's for posers, Disco can actually go off road.
anarkist61 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Discovery | LR3 | LR4