Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
shovelrog
AF Newbie

92 Regal Bad front strut mounts?

OK, So I just purchased a good used 92 Regal Grandma car. I've been chasing a front end clunking/knocking noise that's heard going over bumps. The car has had new struts installed all the way around previously. I've installed the rear spring pads & new motor mounts. Although the ball joints and control arm bushings have never been replaced no play has been found in them.
I've checked the top strut nuts under the covers and they seem tight. While the strut covers were off I bounced the car up and down and the top strut mounts move up and down a lot maybe as much as a half inch or more. Is this a sign the mounts are bad?
Thanks in advance, This site is GREAT!!!
shovelrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
shovelrog
AF Newbie

Re: 92 Regal Bad front strut mounts?

Can I use an impact wrench on the shaft nut under the top covers to make sure it's good and tight? Should I use vise grips to hold the rod up as high as possible in the wheel well or let it spin a little with the impact?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
shovelrog
AF Newbie

I tightened the top strut nuts with an impact wrench this morning. I also tightened the rears just to be sure. Along with checking the body mounts. The clunking sound is still there. It sounds like and feels in the floorboard like the right front wheel bearing has play. I've had it jacked up on stands both under the control arms and again under the frame but never found any play in anything. Today I found a little horizontal side to side play in the right front wheel while it was sitting on all fours with no jack stands, It felt like bearing play. or maybe tie rod end play, but there again I can't detect it with the wheels off the ground.
Any Ideas?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Have you checked the cradle bolts and steering gear bolts for being loose? Sway bar bushings and links? Some movement in the strut mounts is normal. Also make sure the control arm bolts are tight.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
shovelrog
AF Newbie

I have checked the sway bar bushings and I've also tightened the control arm bolts. I only visually inspected the rack & pinion mounting bolts and they did not appear to be showing signs of movement.
I pursued it further today and I think it's excess play in the rack & pinion. There's some noticable play in it when it's off the ground and on all fours there's plenty of play in the steering wheel along with a slight clunking.
I'll check the rack & pinion bolts with a wrench next.
How hard is it to change a rack & pinion unit on a 92 Regal?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

You really need a lift, but it can be done on the ground with jackstands and a jack, the back of the cradle will need to be dropped down. If you decide to do it yourself, I recomend researching a Haynes manual before doing so. A alignment will be required after replacement. Will probably take you most of the day if you have not done one before and do not have a lift.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
shovelrog
AF Newbie

With the way it sounds and feels when going over some bumps not all, I'd be suprised if it were the steering unit. I did detect some sideways play in the axle on that side where it comes out of the tranny, not just in & out play like a splined shaft, sideways play like an axle bearing? If that's what it is it would make more sense with the way it sounds and feels.
Should there be any detectable sideways play in the axle where it attaches to the tranny?
Thanks for the responses!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Never heard a bearing cause the kind of noise you are describing. You will get some play in the axle. It's not pressed into a bearing in the trans, just retained on the shaft.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
shovelrog
AF Newbie

OK so narrowing it down, with no play found in the ball joint or the tie rod end and very minimal movement in the control arm bushing while prying on it, and no wheel bearing play. It sounds like it's narrowed down to the upper strut mount/bearing. I'll still check the steering rack hardware tomorrow and anything else associated with it. As loud as the thumping is I also thought it could be the exhaust hitting something, but although the exhaust connection onto the manifold will allow plenty of movement I had to push the exhaust a couple inches before it would hit the body, and the sound is heard over mild bumps mostly, and it deffinately sounds like it's coming from the passenger side.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
shovelrog
AF Newbie

It sounds like the ball joint and control arm bushings are items I could do myself. I would think it would be worthwile seeing how their 20 yrs old and that would rule them out. Would either one of them be the loud intermttent noise I'm hearing even though they didn't seem to have play in them? Or am I back to the upper strut area being most likely?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
shovelrog
AF Newbie

Cured!! New stabilizer bushings, control arm bushings and ball joints. Quiet & smooth now : )

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal