Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
bazzerb
AF Newbie

p11 Handling problems

My p11 2 ltr handles badly in the wet. I have 185/65 h14 tyres will it be ok to add 195/65 h14 tyres and will this improve the handling
bazzerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
SeanSmith
AF Newbie

Re: p11 Handling problems

I would go for 195 60 14 tyres on your existing rims - you'll notice better cornering and handling.

Otherwise see if you can get your hands on a set of rims from the P11-144 (facelift) Sport or Sport+ they are 16 inch rims and take a 205 50 16 tyre which give better handling and roadholding.

ALso make sure you get quality tyres - cheaper or budget tyres are crap in the wet. My P11-144 Sport+ came with budget Z-rated 16 inch tyres and it was a total bitch when pulling away in the wet weather. I've just put Yokohama tyres on the front and the difference is phenominal.
SeanSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:17 AM   #3
hot222
AF Newbie

The dimension maybe is not the problem. You have to consinder the condition of your tyres and if they have the proper pattern to remove fast the water.

By the way I also own a P11-144 Elegance with Yokohama Sport 205/50R16 tyres. They are drying (!) the road!
hot222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
SeanSmith
AF Newbie

Re: Re: p11 Handling problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot222
The dimension maybe is not the problem. You have to consinder the condition of your tyres and if they have the proper pattern to remove fast the water.
This is very true but I have found that the tyre compound plays a big part as well as the tread pattern and condition. The budget tyres that were on my car when when I bought it had a tread pattern that should theoretically have been able to move half the river Thames, but because they had a crap compound they just could not hack it in the wet weather.

The Yokohama has quite a soft compund and as such won't give you as many miles as some tyres, but they do give a better grip in the wet and dry. I'm sure there are better tyres than the Yoko's - I'm always open to advice on particularly good or bad experiences that people have had with tyres on these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot222
They are drying (!) the road!
I'm not quite sure what you mean....

On the subject of budget tyres - I've also noticed that budget tyres have a much softer more flexible sidewall when deflated. I don't kow if the sidewall is thinner on budget tyres or if it's just a softer weaker compound but this can have an affect on cornering ability and holding and also if you get a blowout on these budget jobbies your more likely to write off a rim than if using a good quality tyre. The other downside I've noticed on the weaker sidewall is they are more prone to deforming and developing slight ripples or bumps on the sidewall.

Up until a few years ago Firestone tyres used in hot climates often got irregularities in the sidewall and often had to be changed because of this while still having plenty of tread left - I don't know if they sorted that problem out as I'm living in England now (which sadly is really much of a warm climate - LOL)

-=Sean=-
SeanSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
J..M
AF Regular

I thought the P11 2.0L were supplied with 195X15" wheels ? .................

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General