Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
mtbikkerr
AF Newbie

'94 tranny drip leads to thermostat prob.

After attempting to tighten the lower tranny fluid line to my radiator my car overheated due to a loose hose clamp on a water line. from this tightning of the tranny line. I corrected the coolant leak. 15 hrs later (car shut off) my temp gauge still reads 240º. So the question is: is the gauge stuck or what? it is the first time i have overheated it, I do not wanna tear out my dash to replace the gauge. Anyone have a clue?
mtbikkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
mtbikkerr
AF Newbie

Re: '94 tranny drip leads to thermostat prob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikkerr
After attempting to tighten the lower tranny fluid line to my radiator my car overheated due to a loose hose clamp on a water line. from this tightning of the tranny line. I corrected the coolant leak. 15 hrs later (car shut off) my temp gauge still reads 240º. So the question is: is the gauge stuck or what? it is the first time i have overheated it, I do not wanna tear out my dash to replace the gauge. Anyone have a clue?

i stopped at a garage since, i was told my coolant was low 5qts. i guess you have to have the engine running to fill the coolant. The mechanics prognosis on the 280º temp was : faulty gauge. now i wonder if drilling a eenccy weency hole in the clear face, and nudging the needle will help???
the 5 qts of water, free of charge
mtbikkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Jonesy1951
AF Newbie

Re: '94 tranny drip leads to thermostat prob.

In Canada we have to mix antifreeze 60 glycol 40 water because of the low temps. We also have hot summers. The Glycol has a higher boiling point. Too much water will cause boil overs.

I assume your gauge is electrical. Find the sensor and pull the connector off.
Apply 12v to the positive lead giving it a burst or two.

Check the gauge.

If you have two wires leading to the sensor, then try reversing polarity momentarily. You may find it winding the guage back to a normal position.

Cheers
Jonesy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva