Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Ezekiel86
AF Newbie

93 Grand Am 3.3 Thermostat

Hi I am new but been working on cars for awhile but have come across alot of odd sitautions and difficult times dealing with some cars. So Can someone please explain to me is there a easier way to get to the bolt and stud on the housing of the theromstat. What I for see of doing is that I have to take off the throttle body to get to it, I tried to use a swivel socket to get to it but having difficulties to get at it. Now I wouldn't have to do this if the ower before me didn't put a fail safe theromstat in. They are use less to what I know also they tend to mess up the Theromstat sensor that controls the fan which it is not working. Also can someone tell me where the Sensor actually is, I know most cars is on the thermostat housing but for some reason where I brought the thermostat they are telling me that it is not on the housing which I know that is bull becuase the rely has to be there when the thermostat opens up from the hot coolant and the switch sends a signal to the fan to spin and blow off the engine with the cooling coolant in the radiator. I just want know.
Ezekiel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 93 Grand Am 3.3 Thermostat

Well, you have three choices:

First, is swivel, 10mm ratcheting wrench and patience....

Second, is get another throttle body gasket and remove the throttle body...

Third, and this is risky, loosen the exhaust studs(risky because they can snap off)and then you can pivot the exhaust crossover pipe away and have more room.....

Think it is in the lower intake or rear head.....usually has a yellow and black wire to it....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote