Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which of these was the worst idea?
Porsche Cayenne 7 18.92%
(new) Pontiac GTO 2 5.41%
Chevy SSR 17 45.95%
(new) Ford Thunderbird 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
syr74
AF Regular

Which one of these was the worst idea?

Of the vehicles listed above, which do you think was the "worst idea" in regards to the autmaker that released it. Some were successful, some were not. However, all have been very controversial from one standpoint or another.

My vote goes to the Cayenne even though it is a sales success. If you were only asking wether or not the vehicle itself was a disaster the GTO and SSR both have been sales bombs thus far and far outstrip the big Porsche in this respect.

However, I still picked the German because I think the mind-set that brought us the Cayenne will only continue to lead Porsche astray in other areas. .

There were many better options for a larger volume car, or money-maker than the Cayenne that fit better into Porsche's line-up. A car magazine suggested Porsche come out with a 35k-40k car using the turbocharged Subaru flat four they helped design with proper Porsche style. A kind of much better executed, modern day 914 that would actually be fast this go-round. IMHO they couldn't build enough of them.

Or, imagine a 4-ddor about the size of the Ferrari's new Scag with a Flat 8 based on the 911's mill. A 4-door 928 ig you will. Porsche has been said to have considered this very thing off and on for years, but never does it. If Porsche wanted to break the mould then they should have done it with a vehicle such as this one, and not a truck.

Last edited by syr74; 01-14-2005 at 04:40 PM.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
syr74
AF Regular

Re: Which one of these was the worst idea?

If a mod can think of any other moderately high end vehicles that might qualify as a bad idea and wants to add them go with it.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I'll go with the Cayenne. The fact that Porsche is producing an SUV shows that their personality has been diluted beyond all repair.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
ricesucks
AF Enthusiast

Thunderbird, redoing it was stupid for teh money it cost and how fast it went...
ricesucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I'd say the Thunderbird, Ford has taken what was a nice car from it's inception and slowly ruined it through it's history to the point where they needed to cancel it due to bad sales. They already ruined it once why make a new one just to have another bomb. I think they shoulda just left it dead cause they obviously don't know what it takes to make the car succesful.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
uranium235powered
AF Enthusiast

Cayenne, Oprsche should not be producing SUVs because they are famous for their sports cars, especially the 911 turbo.
uranium235powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

The SSR was never intended to be a big seller, it was always a limited production vehicle. Also, the GTO has had a few changed this year, its typical for GM cars to take awhile for sales to pick up from when they're released, for example Cadillac sold the most CTS's last year, its 3rd year of production.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

.....i think the cayenne was a rather smart thing to do;
it shows that they have a perfect understanding of what sells.
i think of it like this, the cayenne is what makes the money for them to develop cars like the GT3 and in my books, thats a very good idea.

i think that of the ones listed, the thunderbird ranks up there as being a bad idea and in this instance, shows just how of touch ford are with the car consumers and in a way highlights a certain arrongance
(or perhaps reallly stupid bosses who can't think for themselvs and rely too much on marketing men...).
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
syr74
AF Regular

Re: Re: Which one of these was the worst idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
The SSR was never intended to be a big seller, it was always a limited production vehicle. Also, the GTO has had a few changed this year, its typical for GM cars to take awhile for sales to pick up from when they're released, for example Cadillac sold the most CTS's last year, its 3rd year of production.
There is a 300+ day supply of 04 SSR's on car lots if the vehicle started selling as well as GM had intially hoped today. GM indeed intended the vehilce to be low production. However, the public has seen fit to demand far less than even the limited production run GM had initially hoped to sell. Demand for this vehicle is virtually non-existent.

That said, the SSR was my second place pick, and might well have been in first except that it apparently in no way shows a design direction or product placement for any other vehicle but itself. This car was a one shot deal from the outset. And unfortunately for the General, the gun firing that shot was apparently loaded with blanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
syr74
AF Regular

Re: Re: Which one of these was the worst idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
.....i think the cayenne was a rather smart thing to do;
it shows that they have a perfect understanding of what sells.
i think of it like this, the cayenne is what makes the money for them to develop cars like the GT3 and in my books, thats a very good idea.

i think that of the ones listed, the thunderbird ranks up there as being a bad idea and in this instance, shows just how of touch ford are with the car consumers and in a way highlights a certain arrongance
(or perhaps reallly stupid bosses who can't think for themselvs and rely too much on marketing men...).

If it were that simple I would agree, as the Cayenne was destined to sell well upon it's release IMO. However, the suv market is failing, and I think that the big Porsche is likely to slow down at least as much, if not more, than the other high-line suv's do. If Porsche was going to get into the suv market at all, they would have been far better off to do it a decade before they did.

Also, I agree with kman as I think the Cayenne only dilutes the Porsche image. It may make money now, but I think there will be a price to be paid as exclusivity and image counts to those who want sports cars like the 911. I think porsche would have to be very careful even trying to do something like the mid 30k sports car I mentioned above. The suv angle is just too far off base.

Ferrari learned a rough lesson about straying too far off course in the 80's, and they weren't nearly as far out there as Porsche is going with the Cayenne. Just my .02.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
CaTasHtRoPhE 67
AF Enthusiast

ford Thunderbird bad idea
CaTasHtRoPhE 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
M3FordBoy
AF Regular

I'm going to say the SSR it's not fast enough to be a street truck you can't go off road with it and it doesn't even look that good.

The Thunderbird I think isn't that bad of a idea. It didn't sell well but they are a luxury 2 person coupe and there isn't that big of a market for them in the first place.

The Cayenne isn't that bad either it doesn't look that good but it's pretty capable and fast for a SUV. The down side to that is it's pricy.

The GTO is a step in the right direction for GM if it lost so weight and got better handling it would be quite a car, but it is also priced to high.
M3FordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

The GTO was a good idea, executed poorly. The Thunderbird is a good vehicle built on a bad idea.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #14
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

......well i would go along with saying the cayenne is not quite fitting with the porsche image.....

but then again, we're talking about an suv that can outhandle most cars on a track.
everyones favourite evo (or was it car) raced an evo in one and yes the eno won but not by much......
the point is, yes it's an suv and not fitting with their brand image BUT they did put everything that is fitting for their philosophy into it.

it is possibly the only suv out there that has any real ability.

as for the suv market failing, that is only happening in the US that is saturated with poor examples of them and even then it is only the low end models that are getting over-looked.
top end proper drive-able/useable ones such as the cayenne and especially the land rovers still sell like the proverbial hotcakes all over the world.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
syr74
AF Regular

According to Porsche the Cayenne was designed primarily for the American market. Success here would therefore seem to be necessary in order for the Cayenne to accomplish what Porsche wants it to

American luxury suv sales fell 6% last years, and every lxury suv is feeling the pinch.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons