Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #16
Fastkats
AF Newbie

Crazy C:

Did you drive the TSX? For the weight and size of the car, it moves pretty well. The RX8 rides like a friggn tank. I thought my RSX was bumpy! I agree, the RX8 is an awsome looking car. They need to get rid of the EL Cheapo interior and dash. Out of all cars I have driven lately, my fav is still the 350Z. Smooth ride, comfortable seats. You can add options to the Z, but the engine remains the same. I think the base model is right around $28K. If you haven't driven one, have a go. One bad thing about the Z, nearly impossible to see out the back, not so with the G35, but more money for the G.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #17
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Yeah, i've driven the TSX, my complaints where speed/response, the seats hurt, and the steering wheel is gigantic. Everything else is great.

I haven't driven the Z yet.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:26 PM   #18
scallywag
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto7o2azn
the rsx is fwd... which is bad for dragging right there, and its hard to turbo because of the v-tec....
Since when does a vtec make it hard to turbo? You need to do some research before making claims like that! The stock cams are no where neer extreme enough to cause problems with turboing, unless you are running a serously high amount of boost!
Old 06-09-2004, 08:12 PM   #19
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Most mags put the RX-8 about .7 seconds faster than the RSX Type-S in the quarter mile. And while both vehicles have great handling, the RX-8 handles better. However, the RX-8 costs 3 or 4 thousand more than the RSX-S, and with all the aftermarket support for the neo-Integra, you could make it just as fast as a stock RX-8. So, it's really up to you on which car you like better.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:09 PM   #20
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_canuck
Mazda is owned by Ford and having owned a Mazda for a few years I can back up the fact they had crappy service, and could been a lot better.

And yes, they have a 1400hp RX-8, however, are they streetable, no. I'm 99% sure the 800hp one isn't streetable, and they say that the RSX has the potential to reach 1100hp (according to Cybernations Motorsports who've made the most RSX turbo kits and they worked on the fastest street RSX).

And the RSX has been turbo'd MANY times.

About Ford, yes they are a good company, but with Mazda itself (not just one dealer but more than half) its been bad. They tried to scam me, forgot to put the oil cap on after an oil change, were really assholes about service, etc.

Not to say the RX-8 is bad (i'm considering it as a next car) but in terms of reliability Toyota and Honda are the leaders. Every Acura dealer but one were great for me.

yes i know that mazda is owned by ford and that their service is crapy, but technology wise, their engine for instance, is still japanese

it may not be harder to turbo a v-tec car but u cant put as much boost on a v-tec car because of the high c/r... ive never seen an s2000 with 20psi with v-tec ... if there is show me, i can handle learning something new
Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 PM   #21
scallywag
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
yes i know that mazda is owned by ford and that their service is crapy, but technology wise, their engine for instance, is still japanese

it may not be harder to turbo a v-tec car but u cant put as much boost on a v-tec car because of the high c/r... ive never seen an s2000 with 20psi with v-tec ... if there is show me, i can handle learning something new
That is a pretty lame comment. I have seen gsr's booted with over 30psi, and if they can do it so can the s2000, they are just built to handle it. besides most cars can't handle 20psi on stock internals anyways. Even non-vtec motors like the ls can only handle around 12psi. And you can run alot of boost on a hight compression motor, most full race vtec cars run pretty hight c/r. And if you did want to run 20 psi on a vtec, you would need to replace the pistons and rods with forged ones anyways, so you could get low compression pistons. problem solved!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:22 AM   #22
mmont0
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:

Dude, any car that you put that much boost on it, requires major modifications from stock. VTEC or no VTEC! Unless, of course, it is built like that already - as in the case of the SRT4 which only requires very minor mods for Stage 1.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 PM   #23
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag
you would need to replace the pistons and rods with forged ones anyways, so you could get low compression pistons. problem solved!
and therefor it is harder to get more psi, which i was saying in my first post but miss worded it.... something like an mr2 can handle about 16 - 18 psi safely with an upgraded turbo, intercooler and, mbc... thats a lot easier and cheeper than replacing the pistons and rods, then getting the turbo, and the intercooler and a b/c... am i correct? sorry for the confusion
Old 06-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #24
mmont0
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
and therefor it is harder to get more psi, which i was saying in my first post but miss worded it.... something like an mr2 can handle about 16 - 18 psi safely with an upgraded turbo, intercooler and, mbc... thats a lot easier and cheeper than replacing the pistons and rods, then getting the turbo, and the intercooler and a b/c... am i correct? sorry for the confusion
Actually the RSX turbos/intercoolers exist where, I believe, you don't have to replace anything in the stock engine. Just inserting the turbo/supercharger and changing the ECU program is all that is required. Of course, I haven't done this yet so I might be incorrect.

Anyone? RSX-777? Crazy-canuck?

BTW, Crazy, you better not get the RX8 before you return all my CD's!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:48 PM   #25
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

but cant u only set ~8psi without engine modifications... when i responded to scallywag i was refering to if u wanted 20psi...
Old 06-11-2004, 12:02 AM   #26
cartoys21
AF Enthusiast

Totally off subject, but to break the turbo monotony a bit, a girl at my high school got a brand spankin' new RX-8 for a graduation present and I saw her on the road the other day by my house with a crunched in front end and a Budwiser van with a crunched in back end. She was pretty devastated to say the least.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:51 AM   #27
mmont0
AF Regular

What a waste. High school kids shouldn't be riding in such nice vehicles! Especially when they can't drive!

Her parents should have started her out with a civic or something cheap like that. Then it wouldn't be such a big deal!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #28
mmont0
AF Regular

Quote:
but cant u only set ~8psi without engine modifications... when i responded to scallywag i was refering to if u wanted 20psi...
Well, I didn't know that the MR2 could handle such an amount of boost with stock internals. Do you have a website or something that shows this? I would think you'd need major rework on the MR2 as well to handle the added psi's. I doubt that a stock 1.8L engine with 138hp and 125 ft-lbs can handle that much boost.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #29
RSX-S777
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmont0
Actually the RSX turbos/intercoolers exist where, I believe, you don't have to replace anything in the stock engine. Just inserting the turbo/supercharger and changing the ECU program is all that is required. Of course, I haven't done this yet so I might be incorrect.

Anyone? RSX-777? Crazy-canuck?

BTW, Crazy, you better not get the RX8 before you return all my CD's!
Yeah- I think you'd be set doing that with the base RSX. For the Type S you might think about internals and other adjustments if you want it to last any substantial length of time.

BTW, I heard the dealer tacked another 150 bucks onto Canuck's trade-in value due to the box set in the changer.

I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell...
Old 06-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #30
mmont0
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX-S777
BTW, I heard the dealer tacked another 150 bucks onto Canuck's trade-in value due to the box set in the changer.

I keep telling him to return those to me! And now he's getting an extra $150 for them! Man!

Hope he still hangs around here after he gets his RX8.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons