Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Lancer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 03:12 AM   #31
franzzz
AF Newbie

Re: evo or sti which is better

Subaru Vs Mitsubishi........ Very Hard !
franzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #32
Bertini-mon
AF Newbie

As you can tell it's a basis of pure opinion. Get what you like. Drive em.
Bertini-mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #33
Mikay1814
AF Newbie

i'd say its a tie although im slightly leaning towards the sti
Mikay1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:21 AM   #34
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

from what I understand the evo has a stiffer more race tuned sespension but the STi is way more comfortable to drive, and still holds pretty tight in the corners, so it really depends on how much vibration you can put up with. In the 1/4 mile the evo usualy has a slight advantage.
kachok25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 AM   #35
MightyMetallica
AF Newbie

Both cars are about the same. I am extremely disappointed with the '06 STi, for the only changes were cosmetic (and they look like shit), while the Evo has made performance a priority (they're up to 286 hp now in the IX?) The Evo is much easier to work with, and I much prefer the hood of the Evo to the STi. The 6-speed tranny of the STi definately appeals to me (in my eyes, a sports car must have 6th gear). The MR option of the Evo does offer a 6-speed, but to get that option, you must fork over another $2k (which could be well-spent in mods to enhance the STi's performance). On the subject of mods (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but would you not be able to get more horse/torque out of a 2.5 liter than a 2.0? If that is the case, if money really isn't an issue, the STi would ultimately be able to out-perform the Evo. I believe the Evo beats the STi in 0-60, but STi beats Evo in the ¼-mile. The STi has an understeer problem, but can easily be fixed with a strut bar (few hundred $$). The Evo is a little bigger of a car (~1" height, ~4" length), so if you're tall like me, the Evo is a better choice. Also, you get 1-2mpg better gas mileage in the Evo. As other people have said, it's a personal preference. I live in upstate NY and I have seen many more Evos than STis, so I would rather get the vehicle that seems less common (plus, I think the Crystal Grey Metallic is the best paint option on the market right now).

When I mentioned about modding an STi, here's a TT/SC STi forum:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6&page=1&pp=25

Subaru WRX going 207 [even though there isn't a radar gun for proof]:
http://www.evolicious.com/wildsubaru.html
MightyMetallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #36
Clutch_Kick
AF Newbie

Evos ar better
Clutch_Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #37
tomvang18
AF Newbie

well I think the sti has a better turbo because no turbo lag but the evo has better handling so it out performs the sti. But when it comes to the evo 6. The evo 6 is the best car out there. With a 0-60 time of 4.5 sec and a quarter mile time of 12.9 sec at 106mph it is the best stock car
out there. One other thing. I saw a video of the new lancer evo 9 not from the u.s but from u.k the fq320 with 320 hp losing to the evo 6 276 bhp. That's how bad the evo 6 is. If you don't believe me go check out this website www.youtube.com and type evo. Then look for the video with evo9 vs. evo6 and u you will know which is best.
tomvang18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:41 AM   #38
fry_ed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fry_ed
that EVO VI in the vid you're referring to had at least bolt-ons.

as for the discussion of the stock USDM STI vs. EVO....

the EVO IX is sweet. finally looks decent and the IX is probably the quickest jap car ever to hit US shores. The EVO still doesn't have AYC or other AWD functions that the STi has... like the ability to mess the the differential to make full-open (doughnuts and other such shenanigans) or full-lock (mud/snow). from what i have seen at the track (and the strip), STis are generally faster stock vs stock (ish).

interior-wise:
EVO has the seats, STi has the gauges.
reliability-wise:
EVO is pretty bulletproof. clutch made of glass is exaggerated but still inferior to the STi. also, 1st-2nd gear grind is common from what i hear.
04,05 STis are bulletproof except for 4th-5th gear grind.
06 STI has weak motor mounts as well.
don't launch and speed shift all the time and you'll be problem-free with eithe car.

overall, the EVO IX (any trim) and the STi (04,05,06) are a toss-up imo
fry_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #39
L8R_H8R
AF Enthusiast

Evo's are made of cheap quality parts as are many usdm mits. But on a track i would rely on the evo much more than an STI and it does look much better. just not sure of the dependability of the parts.
At the time, McLaren was racing successfully with Honda engines, and it seemed logical to approach Honda for an engine meeting Murray's requirements. But the Japanese declined, feeling that they could not spare the capacity to develop such a project.
L8R_H8R is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Lancer