Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 02:27 PM   #1
kjp
AF Newbie

Your opinion: which mod should I do first?

My '97 Infiniti I30 (60k miles) is completely stock- but I'm getting into autocross I want the car to look near stock (no bigger than 16" rims) and ride nice on the road, but not handle like a pig on the track. In other words, I'm not looking to build a beast, just nice everyday car that I can take my inlaws out in, but also race once a month or so.

Given limited funds: which mods should I do first:

Hi perf brake pads (whose?)
FSTB
Rear Sway
Stillen intake
1.5 springs, shocks/struts (whose?)
16" rims/tires

PLEASE SHARE YOUR WISDOM!!
Many thanks!

-Kevin
kjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 02:30 PM   #2
John Napkintosh
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to John Napkintosh
Tough decision. I'd immediately rule out the shocks/struts and the rims. Between the intake and the suspension options, I'd probably go for the intake first. Relatively cheap, and I would enjoy the difference in sound (thoroughly! ), but I don't know the stock handling capablities.
John Napkintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 08:26 PM   #3
SnOwBoaRdrXX
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to SnOwBoaRdrXX Send a message via AIM to SnOwBoaRdrXX
:monkeypis: Yeah I agree... a new intake would be my first choice as well...
Clear Corners/Tail lights, 20% tint all around, PIAA Superwhite bulbs, Dunlop SP5000 tires, Painted Calipers, Washer Lights, Heated Seats, Power Sunroof, Wind deflectors, Halogen Bulbs, Power Everything, Black Leather Interior

Place Racing Cold Air Intake (mirror finish) on order

SUMMER MODS: Y Pipe, FSTB, Rear Sway Bar, Sprint Springs, Spoiler, Colored Gauge Needles, Chrome step-ins, Borbet Type E 17" rims
SnOwBoaRdrXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 12:58 AM   #4
bobo_80
AF Regular

Question

just had this in mind.......okok....i really wanted to change a stillen intake and i told my friend about it.....so he says that it slows down your car, i said "WHAT"?....couldn`t be possible why?...and he says it decreases your torque, especially automatics.......doesn`t (more air) = (more air inside the cylinder) = (greater explosion) = (more hp + torque).......humm, i dunt think hes rite........just weird.....!!!
bobo_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85
Intake isnt the greatest thing for your car, think of it this way, I read it somewhere, but anyways here it is, you got a hose and there is only so much pressure comming in, when you hold your finger over the exit it rushes out faster if you dont it comes out slower and with less force, all though you get more water with less force, a car can only handle so much air, so sometimes its good and somtimes its bad, But if anyone has anymore info please let me know because i want to start buying parts for my next car =)
JBL85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 07:44 PM   #6
Matticus
AF Newbie

If you are doing Autocross, you are going to want to handle better than anything. I would go for the Suspension mods before any intake or increasing HP. What good is that if you can't turn the beast.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote