Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
hobbes69
AF Regular

Question Calmini 2002 winch bumper

Does anyone know much about the 2002 Calmini bumper? I saw a referance to it on xterraparts but it didn't say what was different about it. I'm hoping that it does not require any modification to the grille like the ARB.

Thanks,
Richard
hobbes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:27 AM   #2
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
I don't exactly know what's different but it won't require modification of your grille. It's coming out pretty soon, so you may want to wait to see better photos of one. I honestlydon't know what the difference between 00-01 and the 02 front is, I haven't had a chance to compare the 2.

One thing to note, it will come with a skidplate that goes to the front crossmember, so it offers more protection than the ARB. and it's color matched to the existing bumper, so it will blend better with your truck. It also probably won't require trimming of the bumper for bigger tires like many of the ARBs. (not sure which ones, but I have seen several that needed trimming)
Old 03-01-2002, 12:37 PM   #3
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
The difference in the '02 that is significant with regard to ARB/TJM/Calmini bumpers with the tubes on top is that the plastic grille area just to the inside of the headlights juts out further ahead of the frame rails than the '01. The vertical supports for the tubes that pass right ahead of them will not clear the grille. You can notch the plastic, or the '02 Calmini bumper will simply stick out a little further or something.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 08:32 PM   #4
SarnX
AF Newbie

2002 With ARB

I just had my ARB installed on my 2002 yesterday and they had to notch the plastic for the uprights to pass through. It has to be done because they didn't notch it at first and it pushed the plastic up just enough that my hood wouldn't close. Can't even notice the notches though it looks good. I borrowed a digital camera for the weekend so there should be some pictures up soon.

SarnX.
SarnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:09 AM   #5
hattrik21
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hattrik21 Send a message via MSN to hattrik21 Send a message via Yahoo to hattrik21
I've seen an 02 Xterra and there was no triming of the grill at all when the AR was installed. I dont' know for sure if they used the factory holes because I haven't had a chance to talk to they guy yet.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:41 AM   #6
SarnX
AF Newbie

Pics of Notches in ARB for 2002 X

Here are a couple of pics of the notches that have to be cut to install an ARB on a 2002 X.

Hope this helps,

SarnX.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
xoc
AF Enthusiast

You might want to notch that a bit more.
The bumper moves with the frame, the grill moves with the body. The movement can be a lot on bumpy roads.
That may lead up to the grill cracking, or loosening itself.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #8
SarnX
AF Newbie

Thanks!

Thanks Ian, I will likely do that. I had not thought of that at first but it seems obvious now.

I am still learning so keep the info coming.

SarnX.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:24 PM   #9
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Doh! Just said the same thing in your other 2002 ARB thread.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:11 PM   #10
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 With ARB

Quote:
Originally posted by SarnX
I just had my ARB installed on my 2002 yesterday and they had to notch the plastic for the uprights to pass through. It has to be done because they didn't notch it at first and it pushed the plastic up just enough that my hood wouldn't close. Can't even notice the notches though it looks good. I borrowed a digital camera for the weekend so there should be some pictures up soon.

SarnX.
Like Schlud said about modifying...give yourself about 3/16" clearance all the way around for movement of the truck and the bumper. You should also round the corners on the upper edge. Square corners will lead to cracks in your plastic.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail