Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
imakedacookies
AF Regular

6.5 Detroit

This should be easy for a GM enthusiast, I'm a cummins guy so some extra info would be appreciated. It looks like I'll have an opportunity to buy a 94 chevy 3500 with the 6.5 and auto transmission for pretty cheap. I am curious about how it will tow compared to a 2500 6.5 with a manual transmission. My buddy would pull 14 round bales with his and it never struggled, it was just slow. Those loads including the trailer were roughly 25k lbs. Not sure if a 3500 has a better rear end ratio, but I would think the auto transmission would take away some of the overall grunt compared to a manual. Im not a speed demon anymore so slow is fine and I won't tow much but when I do its usually pretty heavy. Thoughts?
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: 6.5 Detroit

I bet "2500" vs. "3500" means nothing in terms of pulling the load. The 3500 might have bigger brakes to stop the load.

Everything depends on gear ratio--in the transmission and in the axle. An automatic tends to have a higher first-gear ratio, but also has torque multiplication in the torque converter. "I" would rather have the automatic; but the owner's manual should tell you the "official" towing limits.

First Guess: 14 round bales was grossly overloaded.

Second Guess: ANY Duramax running on all cylinders will kick ass on the 6.5 Diesel.

Third Guess: A 454 will beat a 6.5 Diesel, and cost less to repair.

(Yeah, I don't have much use for 6.2/6.5 Diesels.)
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Farm rules are if it can pull it without overheating its fine. We don't really care what manuals say. I would prefer a cummins but can't pass on a great deal after life has beat you down financially. I understand the gear ratios are the key to pulling, I guess I was looking for info on if a 2500 has the same rear end as a 3500, with dodge they were not so it would make sense gm did the same.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

The C3500HD had a "bigger" rear axle (Dana 11.5") than the other 3500s; but far as I know everything else "8-lug" got the 14-bolt full-float 10.5" axle and the bigger, 9.25 front diff. (This according to my '97 service manual. I don't specifically know about earlier model years.)

The brakes attached to that axle may be different, especially if we're talking single wheel vs.dually.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #5
imakedacookies
AF Regular

I havnt looked that closely to the pickup yet but I'd guess it's a 8 lug. I figure I can compare it to being fairly similar to what my buddies pickup can tow. Thank you

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K