Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine and Transmission Discuss Engine, Transmission, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
LT1Silverhawk
Prone 2 Ask Alota ?s

LT1: Oil Burning Issues

Hi All,

This question. is regarding my '95 Impala SS. I posted it in the Impala section and got some good direction but thought I'd try here as well since the engine is the same and there are alot of smart, helpful folks here.

Two weeks after a recent oil change (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30) , the "Low Oil" light came on. I checked the dipstick and there was nothing there. So I added more oil (Mobil conventional 10w30) and the oil level seems to be fine so far.

However, there is a burning smell every time I accelerate just to get on the freeway.

Another member suggested that a clogged PVC and/or hoses may be to blame for the oil burning. But I am totally lost on the burning smell during acceleration.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

---------- >> Updated 7/23/2009

For those following up, here is the link to the Impala forum on this site for this issue:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=958903

//^\\ 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 "The Silverhawk" //^\\ 1995 Chevy Impala SS "The Flying Fortress" //^\\ 1977 Chevy Truck "Redneck Mobile" //^\\ 1984 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Presently a project //^\\

Last edited by LT1Silverhawk; 07-23-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Update
LT1Silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
LT1Silverhawk
Prone 2 Ask Alota ?s

Re: LT1: Oil Burning Issues

It turns out that the PVC and the throttle body where the PVC hose goes are both plugged off.

This is possibly causing enough pressure in the crankcase to cause oil to spill out from the PCV grommet and spill onto the header and burning off due to the heat.

For those interested in following this discussion, please click the below link for pics and discussion.

All feed back and ideas are welcome.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=958903

//^\\ 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 "The Silverhawk" //^\\ 1995 Chevy Impala SS "The Flying Fortress" //^\\ 1977 Chevy Truck "Redneck Mobile" //^\\ 1984 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Presently a project //^\\

Last edited by LT1Silverhawk; 07-24-2009 at 11:33 AM.
LT1Silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission