Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
jthomer
AF Newbie

How can I access power window switch?

I have a 1998 Villager and it needs a new switch for the driver's side power window (or if I'm lucky maybe the contacts just need to be cleaned). Do I have to remove the entire door panel or can I pop the armrest out after removing the screw at the bottom of the doorhandle?

Thanks!

BTW - the switch has developed a mind of its own. It rolls the window down fine but getting the window up is a problem. At first you had to pull up several times before the window would go up. Now you can get it to do that but when you let go of the switch the window rolls back down again no matter where you stop it on its way up.
jthomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Re: How can I access power window switch?

Remove the screw holding its located in the little handle pocket, and pull it out
IH8SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
jthomer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8SPM
Remove the screw holding its located in the little handle pocket, and pull it out
Thanks! I thought so but I didn't want to start trying to pry it out without checking first - I've broken too many things that way!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
roberte
AF Newbie

My drivers side window on my 2000 Villager Estate would go down, but had a mind of it's own about when it would come back up.
Long story short is that I replaced the switch console and cured the problem. Cost was approx. $83.00 at Ford dealer.
roberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
jthomer
AF Newbie

Just thought I'd follow-up even though it took me a year to finally getting fed up enough to get around to getting the part. NAPA was no help on the driver's side switch console so I ordered one online from rockauto.com for $64 including shipping. Removal of the section of the armrest with the switches was easy as was noted earlier. Unscrew the screw at the bottom of the doorhandle. There's just two spring clips holding it on after that. Pulling it up from the front end of the armrest worked best for me. Took all of 15 minutes - would have been much less but I was being careful not to pull too hard on the armrest before I knew exactly how it was being held down.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager