Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #16
coondawg6
AF Enthusiast

i'm betting on PROBABLE tuneup problem not maf --ie bad wires, plugs----maf is not generally known for popping exhaust---one thing you learn and learn well when you are a young mechanic(that was quite a while ago) any internal combustion engine that has a misfire under load(shaking/shimmy on acceleration, popping/backfire) is 99% of the time is due to secondary ignition failure---and yes it sometimes is that easy----computers tend to complicate the thought process not the diagnosis or repair
Old 09-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #17
forzatird
AF Newbie

mass air flow sensor

I am also having problems like this. My 94 tbird 4.6 runs like crap when you first start it. If I give it gas the car sounds like it wants to die. After the car warms up it runs fine. I did have my computer replaced two years ago, and I also have a K&N filtercharger. One of you gents suggested carb cleaner, did anyone try it. I am somewhat ignorant on how to work on vehicles, but I changed my TRS and cleaned the throttle body, and the problem still persists. Any other ideas on what the problem, and resolution may be?
forzatird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:12 PM   #18
coondawg6
AF Enthusiast

forza your problem sounds more like maf as it is very temp sensitive and symptoms get progressively worse over time--i cant remember what thread it was in but i gave a detailed explanation of operation and why its bad when cold and is fine when at operating temp--look back thru files
Old 09-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #19
vasta41
AF Newbie

PROBLEM SOLVED!

i finally found a tamper-proof torx bit set and i removed my MAFS and there it was, plain as day- corrosion. i bought a special electrical cleaner spray and soaked everything in sight. i scrubed the corrosion with a toothbrush and wiped it all away. i put the sensor back on and i noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. my car never drove so well.

thank you all for you help, i love you!!
vasta41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:40 AM   #20
Drnaline
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Drnaline
Re: mass air flow sensor problem maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasta41
PROBLEM SOLVED!

i finally found a tamper-proof torx bit set and i removed my MAFS and there it was, plain as day- corrosion. i bought a special electrical cleaner spray and soaked everything in sight. i scrubed the corrosion with a toothbrush and wiped it all away. i put the sensor back on and i noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. my car never drove so well.

thank you all for you help, i love you!!
Your welcome, glad it was something simple. Not always turns out that way, not often enough anyway.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #21
moekneemaker
AF Newbie

i to have a 95 tbird 4.6 and had the same problem i had the codes checked and replaced the mass air flow sensor replaced but it didnt fix the problem. so i took it to a shop and the took out the computer cleaned it up and it ran like new
moekneemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #22
viper_e2000
AF Newbie

I was wondering about how much did it cost to take it to the shop and have the computer cleaned up, I think I might have the same problem. I started the car and it was fine but after I warmed it up I started driving and it turned off. I turned it back on and it ran fine again, but after a few blocks its started loosing power and I tried accelerating, but the car was hesitating. I turned it off and then back on and I left it in part for about 5 minutes and then I put it in drive and it was fine until 30 minutes later when I turned it off and I tried it again.
thanks for your help

1991 5.0 Tbird LX
1992 3.8 SC Tbird
1994 4.6 Tbird LX
1993 1.8 Eagle Talon DL
viper_e2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 AM   #23
vasta41
AF Newbie

When I needed to clean my MAFS, I didn't have those symptoms. My car would run sluggish and hesitate when I accelerated, but it would never shut off on me. Maybe check your accelerator or the 15A fuse powering it? But either way, I never brought it anywhere to clean it, I did it myself. I had to get a tamper proof torx bit set (the star with the circle in it) to take the MAFS off. Then I soaked it with a special $5 electrical cleaner spray that I got at a Pep Boys or AutoZone. When I put it back together, it ran just fine. Whatever problem you have, good luck fixing it!

Paul
vasta41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:48 AM   #24
viper_e2000
AF Newbie

Smile Re: mass air flow sensor problem maybe

Thanks for the info. I will try checking the fuse if that doesn't solve it then I will try to clean the mafs.
thanks

1991 5.0 Tbird LX
1992 3.8 SC Tbird
1994 4.6 Tbird LX
1993 1.8 Eagle Talon DL
viper_e2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:27 AM   #25
thunderbird muscle
AF Enthusiast

Clean the computer? Ok thats a new one to me.

I love these new computers heck they are what put the bread on the table here! hahahahah sorry your pain is what keep my dad in buisness.

Racing a Honda is like being in the special olympics even if you win your still retarded!
thunderbird muscle is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird