Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Games > Gran Turismo Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 12:44 PM   #1
gt3 expert
AF Newbie

Gran Turismo 4 R-Spec coming in 2003

yep that what gran turismo of america said!!!!the game is only going to have 120 street cars and 20 race cars and all the Jgtc cars including the diablo GT no F1's but porsche mit be in it and ferrari also!! but no compact cars!!!!I'll give u the next update in the Gran Turismo series tomarrow!!!
gt3 expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 02:48 PM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
I'm really dying to know this guys source!! :huh:
Old 08-16-2001, 02:51 PM   #3
gt3 expert
AF Newbie

my friend works for gran turismo of america!!!He called me and told me the news!
Old 08-16-2001, 02:57 PM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Quote:
Originally posted by gt3 expert
my friend works for gran turismo of america!!!He called me and told me the news!
Not that I don't believe you or anything like that. But do you think it would be possible for you to post materials or something official as opposed to "hear say" or "what my friend told me". Again, not knocking you or your friend.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:20 PM   #5
gt3 expert
AF Newbie

i'll do that next time,OK
Old 08-19-2001, 03:48 PM   #6
SledgehammerVette
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SledgehammerVette Send a message via Yahoo to SledgehammerVette
It's been rumored way back while GT3 was still in the process of coding, that GT4, would feature tons and tons of cars (supposedly every car that was ever built or pretty close to it), and you would have to use some special cable to hook up to your computer to buy the cars over the net. Something like that.

140 cars? That's less than GT3 what are they doing going down further and further.

We'll have to wait until they start programming this game.

4DRSpeed.com Is Here!
SledgehammerVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 06:31 PM   #7
deftonez24
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to deftonez24
sweet! ive always wanted to drive a pinto or a gremlin in that game!
deftonez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 03:10 PM   #8
¤ÅzÑ_SüÞÊR§PØrT
AF Newbie

Re: Gran Turismo 4 R-Spec coming in 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by gt3 expert
yep that what gran turismo of america said!!!!the game is only going to have 120 street cars and 20 race cars and all the Jgtc cars including the diablo GT no F1's but porsche mit be in it and ferrari also!! but no compact cars!!!!I'll give u the next update in the Gran Turismo series tomarrow!!!
What console is this GT4 gonna come out on?
¤ÅzÑ_SüÞÊR§PØrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 03:35 PM   #9
SledgehammerVette
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SledgehammerVette Send a message via Yahoo to SledgehammerVette
GT4 is suppose to be on PS2 as well.

4DRSpeed.com Is Here!
Old 09-03-2001, 08:44 AM   #10
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

It seems like Polyphony Digital is spending WAY too much time on improving ONLY the eye-candy, while leaving the gameplay pretty much alone. Sure its wonderful seeing the sun's brilliant rays driving up Cote de Zeur or whatever they call it (isn't that Monte Carlo?), rooster tails in the Smokey Mtn, heatwaves, wet-effects, and all those other pretty sideshows scattered throughout the game, but hell, if you take that away, the gameplay and fun factor is almost the same as GT2. I was pretty dissappointed with GT3... The difficulty level has been upped only by limiting the ease of earning credits, rather than toughening out the computer AI. Maybe there was simply too much hype about how awesome it looks that no one took the time to ask if the game was any more interesting--what's new and revolutionizing. About the number of cars: the Gran Turismo series has always ruled in the mass number of cars department. But when they announced that GT3 was going to get a cut in the number of cars from 300 to 150 since it was taking a week to finish each car (as opposed to 1 car per day like in GT2), I was pretty disheartened. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm completely done with the game, the only thing that keeps me coming back for more are the crappy cars, and the old-schooler used cars. F1 cars are fun, but they don't belong in a grand tourer's game. Let's not forget that open-wheelers reflect nothing in the GT class of cars. The highest they should have gone with should have been the LMPs. Or better yet, have ALL the cars. Yes, Gran Turismo 3 A-spec is a great game. It's fun. It's cool. But remember when the originaly Gran Turismo first came out? I don't get that same awe-inspiring feel anymore. GT1 wasn't much to look at (even the Ridge Racer series had better graphics) but it was completely different and NEW. GT3 feels old.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:48 PM   #11
SledgehammerVette
AF Regular

PD has improved game play greatly. The cars don't act like there on ice/stick to the road like glue, anymore. I love how the cars in GT3 handle. In GT2 a car with super-soft tires felt like it stuck to the road like glue. And in the rally in GT2 talk about an ice rink. GT3 just feels more like a real car.

The physics are GREATLY improved over GT2. None of this flying off of a hill BS. The cars don't slip and slide, or grip really well, they act like normal real life cars IMHO.

But yes as in EVERY GAME there are problems. One that annoys me all the time is when I look back and the sun-rays make a glitch (happens often). Allowed to mod almost everycar over a 1000HP. The wheels during a race are 3D, but should be more 3Dish then what they look like. They still need a clutch feature.

When you first start out, with lets say a Toyota Trueno. And you get to the Turbo race I think in beginner league and you only have about 210HP in the car, that 3000GT is hell!! The Trueno can barely beat that big boat. AI is improved greatly.

If you don't think so, goto Seattle Reverse (a fairly long race), try to hit everyone of the cars into the first 'S' turn so they get stuck. Come back around and hit them out. You'll pull away from them, but once they pick up speed there doing about 200MPH, compared to your 120MPH. This happended to me in my Z06 (650HP). I hit the Cobra into the 'S' Turn and got stuck. I went around 2 more times and decided to hit him out. He flew by my ass like I was nothing. Surprised me!

4DRSpeed.com Is Here!
Old 09-13-2001, 05:53 AM   #12
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I don't see dramatic improvement concerning the physics or the driving environment. A few are merely corrected to how they should be.

Example: The cars used to stick to the ground like glue with super-soft tires. They still do now, but wear down on most tracks requiring 5 or more laps. I was pretty surprised with GT2's unreal tire grip, fully knowing how delicate real soft tires are, and their capability of being turned to liquid without proper care. Fortunately this was addressed in GT3 with mandatory tire wear (which melts better for the lead footed folk). But this is not a major development.

The rally aspect should not have even been brought up, since we all know that GT2's rally environment was an underdeveloped piecemeal setup. BUT, GT2 at least introduced rally racing, even if it was a bad one. It was something new and made you feel as if the game was much more worth your money and time than GT1. Flying off hills? I still do, like in the Seattle course--it has to do with your spoilage. You can get airborne all you want with the right settings, and conversely, try not to, especially throughout the rally courses. IMO, the greatest change for GT3's physics was the rally improvement, but still, rally racing has no real place in a grand tourer's game; it's more of a sideshow. Fun, but not the centerpiece.

Quote:
Originally posted by SledgehammerVette
The cars don't slip and slide, or grip really well
Isn't this a contradiction?

As for the so-called improved AI, here's what the folks at Electronic Gaming Monthly in their September 2001 most recent Gran Turismo 3 A-spec review have to say:

"..The changes from GT2 to GT3 aren't too plentiful, really. It's too bad that a more aggressive, intelligent AI for opposing cars wasn't one of them. As is, the CPU vehicles still drive in a high-speed parade, all but ignoring the player (unless you choose Professional difficulty in Arcade mode, where your opponents will fight tooth and nail for every single position).
The setup options between the two games remain similar as well: Win races to earn credits, use credits to buy cars, upgrade cars to win more races, and so on. Where the differrences really lie is in the presentation and easy navigation of the Simulation mode. Gone is the stupid world map from Gran Turismo 2, and with it the frustration of remembering which part of the world you bought your car in, not to mention the amount of time it took to get to that area. You also don't need to worry about extra race series hidden within seemingly random car manufacturers' areas..."

They gave the following scores. Visuals: 10, Sound: 9, Ingenuity: 6, Replay: 10, with each reviewer stating a personal commentary noting the unimprovement of the AI system.

Quote:
Originally posted by SledgehammerVette
You'll pull away from them, but once they pick up speed there doing about 200MPH, compared to your 120MPH.
I also noticed this trend, but it is not improved AI. What the designers seemed to have done was simply give the computer opponents something like a "slow-car boost" whenever you are in the lead. Ever notice that with a moderate power advantage, you can easily beat past and weave through the competition, but it is terribly tough to shake them once you are in the lead? Then you slow down and allow them to pass, and once again, it's a piece of cake to find your way back to first place, but they just don't fall back once you are there (unless of course, you have a massively unfair power advantage).

However, I do recommend that everyone try the Professional setting in the Arcade mode just for kicks. You can do so by holding down L1 + R1 while selecting a difficulty setting. It's a shame there isn't such a feature in the Simulation mode--or is there?
Old 09-13-2001, 06:16 AM   #13
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Yes, Gran Turismo 3 A-spec is a great game. It's fun. It's cool. But remember when the originaly Gran Turismo first came out? I don't get that same awe-inspiring feel anymore. GT1 wasn't much to look at (even the Ridge Racer series had better graphics) but it was completely different and NEW. GT3 feels old.
Morh, that sums it up perfectly.
The pyhsics model is slightly improved. but it donst make up the lack of gameplay, and less cars to drive.
(hard mode in Acrade has no catchup, and the further into the GT mode you get the less catch up become affective.)

Now if you'll excuse me im going to try the Professional mode.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:45 PM   #14
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
The AI in GT2 & 3 ain't fer crap!!! They might as well be robot slot cars, just stuck on their prescribed racing line. In GT2, the only car that could even try and divert them was the Escudo at full ramming speed. (I know this from a "house-rules" game on the test course that my friends and I play when drunk. ) I've only played a bit of GT3, but it feels exactly the same.

One of the coolest, and most infuriating, tricks the AI had in their pocket in GT was when they'd draft you on the straights and pass you right at the finish line! Oooh, I hated that!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SledgehammerVette:
The cars don't slip and slide, or grip really well
I think he means the difference between GT and GT2. GT was almost like rallying; I can drift every car around every turn in the game in GT, but I have to work like crazy to get them to snap loose, while retaining some control, in GT2. It was way too sticky in GT2, save for the rallies.

BTW, SledgehammerVette, hi from an old GTFer. I don't hang around there much anymore.

Also, when the hell are they going to get more than six cars on the track? :zx11pisse That's just retarded! And I'd also love to have AI cars mixed in with the multi-player mode. And I miss qualifying, too!!! Arrrgh!!!

Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 05:43 AM   #15
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

GT3 has qualifying, but it's almost a total waste of time since you don't get any credits for it, and it takes WAY too long with the warm up lap. However, when you are using a car that is weaker than the competition, you may want to use this to get a head start (that is, IF you can make pole position with the weaker car). I first ran qualifying laps for each race to further set myself into a 'real-world' racing situation, but then I got tired of it. The only other use of GT3's qualifying may be for familiarizing yourself with a new track.

If you can manage to find yourself a crappy 13" TV, use a frayed RF cable, and have all sorts of distortion from other electronics running (i.e. microwave oven, vacuum cleaner), a game of GT3 would be almost exactly like GT2 or 1. Hopefully, PD has overcome the new console's technical complexity, and has moved onto enhancing the content for upcoming Gran Turismo sequels.

One question... Why isn't there a car dealership for the Mini (MG)?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Games > Gran Turismo Series