Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
titleist312
AF Regular

2004 gto test REV.

was at the local pontiac dealership here in dubuque, ia. today to get some parts and the service guy asked how i liked my comp g and then proceeded to taunt me with the keys of a black 04 gto (ive got no interest in this holden monaro). We went outside and sat inside it he started it up and told me to rev it up a little, now no self respecting gearhead heres the word little. So i took it straight to redline(the car was dead cold)im sure the guy loved me for it but i figured screw it this thing other than sounding good sucks. However they did a fabulous job in the cabin, the car feels great but just doesent say GTO!
titleist312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
Ripn12s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Ripn12s
Re: 2004 gto test REV.

Go drive it and then say the only good thing is the sound.

Give me a break........ LS1 w/ LS6 cam and heads......ya that sucks
Old 02-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
titleist312
AF Regular

ripn i really dont feel like starting an argument and i do agree with you that yes the drivetrain is awesome, have you driven one? Have you ever driven a slp firehawk or a 2002 camaro ss? What im trying to say is that why abolish the 2 best (in my mind)affordable(somewhat practical) gm cars and then adopt a design from austrailia and put gto badges on it? If you ask a 40-70 year old gearhead (that knows his stuff) what he thinks of the new gto you may get an answer like, "what makes it a gto?" Im not trying to say your wrong and im right, obviously every one has different taste but seriously if your gonna adopt a name please adopt some styling. Beleive me when i say this i get sick to my stomach but look at the new mustang gt fastback i mean it says mustang of yesteryears man even the dash is retro. And not to bring up another subject but i started reading about the SSR pickup truck 4 years ago when it was a concept and gm was bragging that this would be their answer to "shutting up" the svt lightning guys. Man were they way off base 15.30s@89mph? Give me a break the freaking full size 4x4 nissan titan truck is faster. Now gm is defending itself by saying "this truck is a cruiser not a bruiser". Now that the camaro and firebird are gone gm is trying but the overpriced SLOW SSR isnt gonna do it and other than being quick i doubt the fake american muscle car (holden) is gonna do it either. Ima gm guy but am very discouraged.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
Ripn12s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Ripn12s

Never driven either and I see your point.

I just think the GTO/Monaro, whatever you want to call it, is everything that the SS/TA was but practical

Seems the only thing wrong w/ the car in everyones mind is the outside. Every reviewer that Ive read love the handling and power.

Lets just say I wouldnt turn down a free GTO Probably sell it and buy a Z06
Old 02-21-2004, 12:03 AM   #5
titleist312
AF Regular

agree. especially the z06 part
Old 02-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #6
JoeJoe231455
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 2004 gto test REV.

Well I'll agree with most of you in that I'm disappointed in the new gto. It wouldn't be so bad if they had just called it a Monaro and refused to whore the name of an old muscle car like that.
At 3750 lbs and dynoing the same as the late LS1 f-bodies did (a tick under 300whp) it really isn't too impressive of a machine. They did a great job with the interior, but the exterior just completely ruined it in my book. It is just too bland to be a "gto". And I say that as a disappointed vintage gto owner. I realize they can't bring back fire breathing big blocks (might as well have with the gas guzzler tax you have to pay anyway) but they could have at least styled it aggressively. It resembles so many other vehicles, both import and domestic. I see a little cavalier in it, a little civic in it, a little Accord Coupe in it. It just bothers me.
I also read an article the other day that GM has completely axed the f-body permanently. There will never be another f-body. It has to do with a contractual agreement between some of the manufacturer plants that gm uses. I currently own 3 Pontiacs, and have owned 6 GM vehicles in the past all together. I know Lutz is trying to "shake things up", but it seems half hearted, and too little too late. I can't believe I'm going to say this but, my next vehicle might be a *gulp* Ford.
JoeJoe231455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
titleist312
AF Regular

I couldnt agree more joejoe and as i gulp ford is definately raising the bar and staying true to its form(somewhat).
Old 02-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #8
gtgp97
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to gtgp97
yeah that 05 stang will be mighty mighty tempting when it comes out...but i kinda like fords they do make very reliable cars
gtgp97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
Rex Orr
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2004 gto test REV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoe231455
Well I'll agree with most of you in that I'm disappointed in the new gto. It wouldn't be so bad if they had just called it a Monaro and refused to whore the name of an old muscle car like that.
At 3750 lbs and dynoing the same as the late LS1 f-bodies did (a tick under 300whp) it really isn't too impressive of a machine. They did a great job with the interior, but the exterior just completely ruined it in my book. It is just too bland to be a "gto". And I say that as a disappointed vintage gto owner. I realize they can't bring back fire breathing big blocks (might as well have with the gas guzzler tax you have to pay anyway) but they could have at least styled it aggressively. It resembles so many other vehicles, both import and domestic. I see a little cavalier in it, a little civic in it, a little Accord Coupe in it. It just bothers me.
I also read an article the other day that GM has completely axed the f-body permanently. There will never be another f-body. It has to do with a contractual agreement between some of the manufacturer plants that gm uses. I currently own 3 Pontiacs, and have owned 6 GM vehicles in the past all together. I know Lutz is trying to "shake things up", but it seems half hearted, and too little too late. I can't believe I'm going to say this but, my next vehicle might be a *gulp* Ford.
Let's see the first GTO was a tempest or a Lemans with a big motor and custom hood and GTO badges will I have a new 04 in my garage and a factory metal hood at my shop will soon have a custom hood. my my have them never change see ya rex
Rex Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #10
titleist312
AF Regular

?????????
Old 02-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #11
kilroypr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kilroypr Send a message via Yahoo to kilroypr

Well guys, anyway the GTO/Monaro is a GM built vehicle(Designed down under, but GM). I know it does not have the looks of the muscle cars(Z28, Transam) but it is a practical sucker. I am really sure as soon as it comes out there will be a lot of people out there designing widebody kits, engine enhancements and so forth. The point here is that you get something clean(a stock GTO) and the posibilities are endless as what you can do with it. You can blow it, cam it, ECU(PCM) it, header it, there is a lot of stuff that I am pretty sure will show up on stores for moding it good.
Does anyone has pictured of the Judge option?
kilroypr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix