Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
clydes270

Send a message via AIM to clydes270
Hydraulic Cooling Fan - left over pin

I just changed the harmonic balancer yesterday on my wife's '01 LS V6. The hydraulic cooling fan (HCF) motor would not come off the fan blade, so I removed the 4 bolts holding on the flange, and set this flange and HI & Low hoses aside to drain. When I pulled the radiator shroud out, 2 parts fell from the HCF motor, so I thought. One was an internal gear with two triangular arrows on either side. The other part was a star gear, which had one triangular arrow, and it fit into the previous part. I placed the pieces back onto the motor with all arrows up and spun them around to see them drive the fan blades. After putting it all back together, the wife drove the car around the block to bleed the air from the cooling system and hopefully bleed the hydraulic fluid (Mercon ATF). All went well and the fan blades are spinning slow (high AC w/ clutch engaging), but the temperature is around 20 deg F (short clutch cycles). When I drained the fluid from my catch pan into a bucket to recycle, I noticed a small pin--2mm DIA x 8mm Long. It's chrome and resembles a needle bearing. It's the only one that I found, so I'm guessing that I will have to pull the HCF motor back apart to see where it goes. If anyone has dissembled the HCF motor and knows where this pin goes, please let me know. I have searched my alldatadiy.com account and don't see any mention of servicing the HCF motor.
clydes270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
battery1882
AF Newbie

Re: Hydraulic Cooling Fan - left over pin

i've done this awhile ago when I had a LS. There's a small hole on the shaft where that pin goes in thus holding the gear. without it, gear would spin freely and will not engage the fans to spin(or spin full speed). I'm hoping you're understanding my short description.

What's important is that you have the part. I lost mine and had to replace it with what was laying around at the time. it still does the job but it kinda bothered me. Lincoln does not sell that part alone so make sure you do not lose it!

you'll know what I'm talking about once you have everything disassembled. good luck!
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
clydes270

Send a message via AIM to clydes270
Re: Hydraulic Cooling Fan - left over pin

Yes, I now see where the pin goes. The pin works like a woodrift key on part of the shaft. Once in place, the star gear will have the proper alignment.

Yep, I'm glad that I found this pin. Now, I don't feel so bad about all of the 10mm sockets that I've lost, as there a dime a dozen.
clydes270 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ