Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
someday31
AF Regular

Re: Silverado Alternator not putting out proper volts - Already changed the alternato

I took my reading at idle, 500rpm. I hooked the negative wire of the meter to an alternator bolt for ground and the positive I touched to the middle prong I believe, I am under the assumption that that wire comes from the pcm?
I believe my battery was an acid battery - Duralast Gold 800CCA 1000CA 78 Size.
If the pcm is putting out too much voltage 9.77 versus the 5 that I think it should could that cause the volt regulator to not put out enough volts?
Thanks.
someday31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
consultIII
AF Regular

Re: Silverado Alternator not putting out proper volts - Already changed the alternato

I'll check a similar truck tommorow.

This system should be charging the battery reguardless of 14.5 volts or 14.1 volts ...both are over 12.6 so it should be taking a charge. Stranger things have happened though.

Just to make sure we are not chasing zebra's...
You should be testing at 2500 rpm because ecm controlled alternators don't put out much at idle...and aren't designed to charge dead batteries but rather maintain the system...asking todays compact alternators to charge dead batteries can overheat the stator windings. I've seem it before when people don't drive enough or their driving habits don't allow the car to charge the batteries.

New batteries are not fully charged so charge it for 8 hours with a battery charger and see how long it goes.
consultIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
someday31
AF Regular

consultIII Could you also check your wire harness going into the alternator...how many volts do you get coming into the harness with the truck at idle? I want to see if me getting 9.77 volts is too high. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
someday31
AF Regular

I took the harness off the alternator and then applied 12 volts to the voltage reg terminal that gets energized from the pcm. I still got 14.10 out of the alternator, so I think the pcm is not my problem. I get 55amps out of the alternator with the lights and blower on at idle and about 13.90volts. That seems low???
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Checking alternator output at idle tells you nothing. The engine needs to be at 2500RPM for the alternator to produce maximum output.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #21
someday31
AF Regular

What output should I expect at 2500rpm on a 150amp alternator?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #22
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

With all accessories turned off, battery fully charged, engine at 2,500 RPM, max alternator output should be approximately 130 to 140 amps, and voltage, ideally, should be at 14.2 volts.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #23
someday31
AF Regular

Ok...is there a way I can test this by myself, its electronic throttle
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

If your ammeter is inductive, you don't need anyone else. Put the inductive probe on the alternator output, (red wire), apply B+ to the field, gas her up and watch the ammeter.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #25
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday31 View Post
I took the harness off the alternator and then applied 12 volts to the voltage reg terminal that gets energized from the pcm. I still got 14.10 out of the alternator, so I think the pcm is not my problem. I get 55amps out of the alternator with the lights and blower on at idle and about 13.90volts. That seems low???

once again you display data that shows your charging system is running correctly...this is what I have observed on my vehicle with a fully charged battery ....volts and current are correct...

with your other questions on alternator output , the alternator will not output max current unless you place a load on the electrical system to force this to occur..

the pcm does not control alternator current.. this only monitors the alternator..the internal regulator controls the alternator current ..the voltage generated is also controlled by the internal regulator of the alternator..

your problem of the battery losing charge is , because at rest no engine on , the battery is being discharged..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
someday31
AF Regular

Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #27
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

I'd be skeptical... If charging voltage is higher than 14.2 volts, it will shorten the life of the light bulbs, the battery, any motor, including the fuel pump, and other electrical devices along with possibly setting a DTC. I trust the factory engineers more than I trust.... what was the name of the company?? But, it's your vehicle, and they sell it! Just my opinion... and some facts
Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #28
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday31 View Post
What do you guys think of this......

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=517&catid=107

Only a fool would buy that crap ! like I said your charging system is working correctly...

you have a battery leakage issue , not a charging issue...find the componet that is sucking the power out of the battery when the engine is OFF .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
someday31
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
Only a fool would buy that crap ! like I said your charging system is working correctly...

you have a battery leakage issue , not a charging issue...find the componet that is sucking the power out of the battery when the engine is OFF .

I have done a parisitic draw test and I get 2 milliamps with the key off. Its not a draw issue based on this test.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #30
consultIII
AF Regular

here are the numbers someday31

tested a 2003 6.0l 2500hd. Has the same charging system wiring and controls.

checked voltages at alternator connector (backprobed terminals with connectors connected) with truck off, koeo and koer at idle; results as follows:

terminal c at alternator which is gry wire...goes to pcm... and is the off/run/crank volts field duty cycle signal

key off eng off 0v, koeo 2.074v, keor 3.98v

terminal b at alternator which is brown wire...goes to pcm... and is the serial data charge indicator control

key off eng off 0v, koeo 1.311v, koer 11.22v

of course forgot to check alt output amp and volts...but I know the charging system is good on this truck.
consultIII is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado