Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
silver911
AF Newbie

2007 Chevy Suburban Dead!! Won't Crank

My 2007 Suburban won't crank over. I went to start the burb today and nothing worked. The battery was dead. i charged up the battery all day today and went to try to start. Still nothing. The interior lights are dead but the outside lights and headlights will work. The dash lights will light but when I go to crank, not a hint of the starter solenoid clicking. Totally dead. The remote also doesn't work. I checked the fuses and fusible link by the bulkhead and they check out ok. Any ideas?? I also replaced the battery with another known good one I had and still no response from the starter.

Thanks,

Rich
silver911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Cusser
AF Regular

Re: 2007 Chevy Suburban Dead!! Won't Crank

(1) Check the ignition switch/circuit. Put a 12 volt test light or voltmeter acoss ground and the small terminal on the starter, have helper keep turning the key to start, back to off, etc., numerous times. That wire from the ignition switch should light the test light or read 12 volts EACH time the key is turned to start position.

(2) if above does deliver voltage to the starter, consider that the starter may be bad, remove it and have it tested for free at store like AutoZone.

(3) If one does not deliver voltage, track down the reason. It could be a bad neutral safety switch, try jiggling the transmission lever and try starting in neutral as well as park.

I'm assuming that it's not the battery becaus eyou swapped it out. I'll assume that your battery cables are also clean and OK, you're only 2 years old.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
toddman67
AF Regular

Check fuse panel underhood. If something got left on or door adjar, low voltage will cause high amperage spike and may have taken out one of the maxi fuses or ignition fuse. Locations of fuses are on lid of fuse panel.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
silver911
AF Newbie

I found the problem. A mechanic friend of mine told me to move the positive battery cable around. He said that the crimp on the cable where it forms a "Y" sometimes develops a poor connection. I started yanking the cable around while my daughter tried to start it. It started and everything is back to normal. I'll look at either making a better connection or replacing the whole cable to avoid any future problems. Hopefully this helps someone else with the same issue.

Thanks!
silver911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
toddman67
AF Regular

Good information to share. I thought the connection issue would have shown up during the battery change.
I'm glad to see that things worked out for you.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban