Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 01:53 PM   #46
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon

Are you doubting Chrysler here? I don't think you realize how much experience with turbocharging Chrysler has. Much more than Mitsubishi, Nissan, or Subaru.
Exactly, people are just dowbting and downgrading this car because its a Dodge. But don't worry, they're the ones that are gonna be hurting when they get their asses handed to them by a bone stock SRT-4 Neon!
Dodge Daytona back in the 80's was turbo, no?
Old 04-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #47
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Yeah, they made them with turbos. They were the Turbo Z and Turbo Iroc Z Daytonas.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #48
TatII
AF Fanatic

don't forget the lengendary dodge omni glh's hahaha anyhow, nissan has been into turbo charging for a while too, and they still do turbo's. (duh) and i never doubted the neon, its a freakin rocket for that price. but down to preference i would pick the Z anyday. (becuase i'm very bias towards nissan )

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 04-14-2003, 09:04 AM   #49
TheExperience
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TheExperience
if it wasn't for Daimler, they never would have come out with the SRT-4. To call me ignorant, i take offense to that because you have judged what I have said, even before i can explain myself.

Quote:
I don't want to hear that BS either. That is pure ignorance.
I have my doubts about chrysler. Chrysler has never been known for its quality in cars. So I have the right to be a little skeptical. And my post was not only an issue of performance reliability, but of the quality of the car. Are you saying that the build quality and the material they use, and the interior is on par with the 350z? not in a million years. Thats why Japanese cars have been selling better that domestics. If the quality was the same for the price you pay, Dodge would be losing money. I think that my concerns are viable. Not ignorant. I wish you would be a little bit more considerate before shooting your mouth off. I also take offense because you obviously have a slanted opinion by the car that you own. I don't think that it is impressive that the SRT-4 can take the 350z for over ten thousand less. Obviously you are paying for performance. I don't see anyone cruising on long roadtrips in that. The 350z is not only a sports car, but also a really good touring car. This meaning that the interior is really nice and the sound system has to be good, and it has to be comfortable. I was taking all of these things into consideration when making my post..and I think you need to read my post again.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:03 PM   #50
BigJustinZ28
AF Enthusiast

Im not a chrysler fan either , but not everyone have 30 some-odd grand for a car , I certainly dont. But for the price you get the interior room and trunk of a neon and perfomance similar to that of a sports car. Someone shopping around for the SRT-4 neon isnt even looking in the same market as the 350 which is a little sports car. Like if chevy took a cavalier and turbocharged it and made it as fast as a camaro SS somehow and sold it for 10 grand less , I'd still buy the camaro because I want a sports car and dont mind sacrificing the interior room and storage space for it. Also , a sports car rides like a sports car and a speedy sport compact rides like a sport compact. They are in different markets of automobile here.

1997 Camaro Z28 = LT1 w/ LT4 Conversion w/ Hot Cam
52mm T/B , SLP CAI , SLP Shorties .Eibach Springs, KYB GA Shocks.
SS Hood , Suncoast Creations Spoiler , F1 Camaro Wheels.
30th Ann. Style White with Orange Stripes.

Last edited by BigJustinZ28; 04-14-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #51
TheExperience
AF Regular

I understand that not everyone is going to be able to shell out the money for a 350z, but the majority of people who would want to get a Turbo Neon (age 20 to 25) aren't gonna get past the insurance goons. But the people who can afford the Turbo Neon, and insurance, are most likely able to shell out for a 350z which is an all around better car.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #52
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
Quote:
But the people who can afford the Turbo Neon, and insurance, are most likely able to shell out for a 350z which is an all around better car.
that's about a 10k difference in price...
for a slower car...

why would people pay it?

some people happen to like the neon...

get over it...
Old 04-14-2003, 03:04 PM   #53
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

The Neon beat the 350Z in the 1/4 mile, and some of you are still making excuses as to why it's an inferior car. Why do you hate the neon so much? Because its built in the US? Is it so hard to acnoledge that Dodge actually did a bitchin' job on this car?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #54
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

it'd be nice to get this thread closed, considering the answer has been given to the question so many times...

hmm...
Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM   #55
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by TheExperience
if it wasn't for Daimler, they never would have come out with the SRT-4. To call me ignorant, i take offense to that because you have judged what I have said, even before i can explain myself.

1. So what? What does Daimler have to do with this? I wasn't making any statements about them.

2. Then perhaps you should have explained yourself before, I am sure you wouldn't have had I not quoted you calling you ignorant. Which you still haven't changed my mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheExperience
I have my doubts about chrysler. Chrysler has never been known for its quality in cars. So I have the right to be a little skeptical. And my post was not only an issue of performance reliability, but of the quality of the car. Are you saying that the build quality and the material they use, and the interior is on par with the 350z? not in a million years. Thats why Japanese cars have been selling better that domestics. If the quality was the same for the price you pay, Dodge would be losing money. I think that my concerns are viable. Not ignorant. I wish you would be a little bit more considerate before shooting your mouth off. I also take offense because you obviously have a slanted opinion by the car that you own. I don't think that it is impressive that the SRT-4 can take the 350z for over ten thousand less. Obviously you are paying for performance. I don't see anyone cruising on long roadtrips in that. The 350z is not only a sports car, but also a really good touring car. This meaning that the interior is really nice and the sound system has to be good, and it has to be comfortable. I was taking all of these things into consideration when making my post..and I think you need to read my post again.
1. How do you have the right to be skeptical? How many Chrysler products have you owned? Or have you simply just made an opinion of what others say?

2. Reliability is a part of the car being quality or not. Just because it is not completely wrapped in leather with cushy seats doesn't mean it is low quality or cheap. They have a word for that called inexpensive. Not everyone can shell out $34,000 for a nicely equipped Fairlady. Sure Dodge could do that, but they would have to jack up the price. Also, I would love to see you take the track model of the 350 on a road trip. Not the best ride out there. It is something called stiff suspension. You can't have a really cushy ride while still having great handling. It is one or the other. That isn't a matter of quality.

3. Based on what I have pointed out so far you are still being ignorant, or just looking things over, or just unknowledgeable. I am not shooting my mouth off; I am point out the truth. I don't like it when people make statements of opinion or ignorance and try to pass them off as fact.

4. I have a "slanted" opinion because of the car I own? So that makes my opinion not valid? I think it makes my opinion even more valid than you think. Because of the fact that my family and I have owned Chryslers our whole lives and have never had any problems out of the ordinary that weren't driver caused or related, that makes my opinion about Chrysler's build quality very viable. They aren't crummy built cars. Sure there are some that weren't the best, but I hate to break it to you, everyone makes crap, even Nissan. Most of their cars in the 90s were crap, and cheaply built. I understand why they were, but the fact remains that they were. There isn't a company that has or ever will exists that can turn out a perfect product. That is impossible.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #56
FlexinTwinZ
AF Newbie

Not For Long

For all the previous Neon Owners, you all know The new turbo Neon won't last. Great price, great 1/4 time, but what happens when your warranty is up. Don't get me wrong, I love Dodge..Trucks. (Viper ain't too bad either) As for the 350, Nissans are very reliable and usually mroe expensive. If you have the money, get the Z. I've seen too many girls driving that Damn Neon. I forgot which mag tested it, Road and Track or Motor Trend, but they got it down to 13.9 1/4 mile. Add the New Greddy Twinz and who knows how fast it will go. But hey, if you only have $20,000, get the Neon.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:24 PM   #57
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

everything you said was valid, and would matter...

if this thread was about reliability.

since it's not, who cares?

it's about 1/4 times stock vs. stock.

the neon wins. end of discussion.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #58
FlexinTwinZ
AF Newbie

Still Faster

The fastest I've seen a Turbo Neon Stock is 14.1 from Car and Driver under optimal conditions. The fastest I've read about the 350Z is 13.9. (Forgot which magazine) Has anyone seen faster times for either car? If so which Magazine and Month? As for reliability...I guess some of you are right. 4 years later with compounded interest that you saved on that $8000, that should be plenty to get the Neon fixed.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:52 AM   #59
TheExperience
AF Regular

Your response was full of so many holes and misunderstandings that I really don't feel like writing anymore on this stupid topic and trying to explain myself. I presented my side, and you shot me down. Great. I still take offense to you calling me ignorant. I was nowhere being condescending. I was being polite, whereas you decided to get a little hostile and use harsh words in an internet forum. I think thats really retarded. I just think you need to be more mature about this, and you should read my posts more carefully. For your information, My parents have owned a 1998 Jeep Cherokee (chrysler), and a Chrysler Sebring, and there both hunks of crap. They are definately not mechanic friendly, and Chrysler has this odd trend of making interior out of hard plastics. Autostick is shitty. The engines are always making new noises. The car itself is always making new noises too. There are a ton of things I don't like about them.

p.s.

The overwhelming majority of engineering done on the SRT-4, was done by daimler..This is quoted in a couple magazines. C&D, Super Street, and I saw it on some website. Therefore, if it wasn't for daimler, i don't think the neon would be what it is today.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:00 PM   #60
lloyd_nickens
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon

There isn't a company that has or ever will exists that can turn out a perfect product. That is impossible.

*COUGH* *COUGH* TVR *COUGH*

j/k... seriously, The cars are in two different classes... One for the person with money one for the person without. And no one here can honestly say there car is gonna remain stock... So the hat will go to the vehicle that can get aftermarket support fastest.

"If You Can Breathe, Turn The Music Up."