Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
smonaldo
AF Newbie

2006 Impala SS Transmision FAILED!

I own a 2006 SS. LOVE the car. Since the day I bought it, have treated it with love and respect, service it on time, don't beat, use synthetic oil, and I keep it clean (and I still treat my wife better than this!). After 2 years and 4 months I have 35.5k miles, lots highway driven. Back around the mid 20k mark the dealer suggested I have the transmission serviced. I was a bit surprised, but agreed to do it, as I purchased the 90k PPP warranty plan with the car. Shortly after the service, I began to notice a "rumble", or more like a "chuggle", especially between 45 and 60 MPH. I left it with the dealer at the end of May, and they had it for a week while I was away, and when I returned they claim they found nothing. This week, the engine would rev almost 2-3k RPM's with little or no response, whether I was from a dead stop or trying to accelerate on the highway. As of yesterday, the word I got is the transmission had to be pulled. Now the amazing part: NO Check engine lights, now warnings, and not even the mechanic's diagnostic tool has determined there was or is a problem! So much for computers. I am amazed to see so little threads about Transmissions in this forum, which tells me that I am a rare case. Lucky me!
smonaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
HeMi101
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to HeMi101 Send a message via MSN to HeMi101 Send a message via Yahoo to HeMi101 Send a message via Skype™ to HeMi101
Re: 2006 Impala SS Transmision FAILED!

I'm surprised that you had no warnings or nothing, but the fact your transmission Packed it in does not surprise me. The 4T65E that's on the 00-08 Impalas has alot of poor quailty parts and Almost everyone i know has had problems with them. Most of the 00-05 ones seem to last at least 60K but I've noticed quite a few 06+ ones have crapped out in the 30K mark which surprises me. In fact even Mine is giving me problems but I've made it to 95K miles at least. Good luck with yours.
HeMi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
smonaldo
AF Newbie

Ok, here's the outcome:

Internal GM Tech notice, not even available to the dealers or Mechanics, released in October of 2007 states (paraphrased) Certain vehicles with the 4T65E Transmission, VIN code C, have experienced internal failures. Should there be a Torque converter "shudder", technicians are advised to drop the pan and inspect for any "residue", and if found, REPLACE transmission. Pretty flipping huge, unpublished issue, wouldn't you say?
I'm only glad they didn't start tearing my tranny apart. So, now I have a fresh start, a newtransmission, and hopefully one that has been rid of the unknown failure.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Where did this come from, did you see this on a GM internal letterhead?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonaldo
Ok, here's the outcome:

Internal GM Tech notice, not even available to the dealers or Mechanics, released in October of 2007 states (paraphrased) Certain vehicles with the 4T65E Transmission, VIN code C, have experienced internal failures. Should there be a Torque converter "shudder", technicians are advised to drop the pan and inspect for any "residue", and if found, REPLACE transmission. Pretty flipping huge, unpublished issue, wouldn't you say?
I'm only glad they didn't start tearing my tranny apart. So, now I have a fresh start, a newtransmission, and hopefully one that has been rid of the unknown failure.

this is not uncommon that GM hides failures from the vehicle owners...and other repair/mechanics that service these vehicles..torque converter failure is most likely your problem which leaves metal in filter area..what is the residue discription ???
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
smonaldo
AF Newbie

Yes, I did in fact see the actual notice, on GM letter head, and it never went into any particular detail about the residue, it simply states "if there is any residue". Believe me, if this notice was found in MAy, I would not have had to put up with it this time. In May, they fealt the problem, but there was no info for them to go on. And GM would not lt them simply replace the tranny these days, so the notice does exist....
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, I did in fact see the actual notice, on GM letter head, and it never went into any particular detail about the residue, it simply states "if there is any residue". Believe me, if this notice was found in MAy, I would not have had to put up with it this time. In May, they fealt the problem, but there was no info for them to go on. And GM would not lt them simply replace the tranny these days, so the notice does exist....
I think they were hoping you would not return...........they indeed knew.....remember once out of warrantee is all yours....$$$$$$

if you could get a copy and post it here this will help others as this appears to be a common defect with this torque converter.....
Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

Lightbulb Re: 2006 Impala SS Transmision FAILED!

Many service bulletin/TSB's and tech bulletins come across the service managers desk, I was one for 25 years with Cadillac, if someone is not paying att'n it gets lost and neither the service writer or mechanic is aware of it. It is not " secret" just no one was "watching the store" as I used to say.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
Many service bulletin/TSB's and tech bulletins come across the service managers desk, I was one for 25 years with Cadillac, if someone is not paying att'n it gets lost and neither the service writer or mechanic is aware of it. It is not " secret" just no one was "watching the store" as I used to say.

these TSB notices are not sent to the owners of the affected vehicles...I have had to use pressure to get the TSB on my vehicle after a reference was made [on internet] about a problem....it took three days to receive the TSB...GM should send owners the TSB or make this info available on the internet...when vehicle is brought in you must be fully informed and these forums are a great way to learn about the problems ....not the dealership....it takes time and effort to dig out that TSB and for what, good will!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
smonaldo
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 2006 Impala SS Transmision FAILED!

I will make an attempt to either get a copy of the TSB or at least the reference #. If it had been posted here when I first looked in May, things would have been clear cut and easy. I hope I can make some on else life easy.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
ttrackerman
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to ttrackerman

hi guy's been reading your posts and found this one interesting, I have had a problem with my 2000 impala not having any overdrive and weird sounds from the trans.what could it be. just had a valve changed in the trans. thought i had it fixed.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrackerman
hi guy's been reading your posts and found this one interesting, I have had a problem with my 2000 impala not having any overdrive and weird sounds from the trans.what could it be. just had a valve changed in the trans. thought i had it fixed.
start a new post with your issues...

your problem is most likely a rebuild of tranny..
Old 09-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
smonaldo
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 2006 Impala SS Transmision FAILED!

NEWS FLASH!!! The Tech Bulletin I have been referring to is
#07-07-30-012C. I wonder if any one on this forum can find the actual Buletin and post it here.

Steve
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
Hungrycat7
AF Enthusiast

This is all I could find.

E TRANSMISSION SLIPS, NO DRIVE/REVERSE, TCC SHUDDER, NOISE WITH TCC APPLIED. *KB UPDATED 08-15-07. *KB (DIAGNOSIS & REPLACE TRANSMISSION, IF NECESSARY).
Hungrycat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
NEWS FLASH!!! The Tech Bulletin I have been referring to is
#07-07-30-012C. I wonder if any one on this forum can find the actual Buletin and post it here.

Steve
your dealership that did the transmission replacement should have given you the TSB....did you ask the service manager ?

also I checked NHTSA on your vehicle for TSB'S with transmission failures......what I found was these 2006-07 vehicles are riddled with problems....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS