Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #31
Mercracer
AF Regular

Yeah......in 72-73, not only did you have an open chamber, but the Ford dorks put in a dished piston. The early 72 engines still had a flat top piston with the open chambers.
One thing I found interesting is that some of the old Cleveland drag racers used the open chamber heads with a pop up piston for compression, because the valves were unshrouded more with the open chambers, so they claimed that the heads flowed better, and made more power.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #32
Pawdad
AF Newbie

Re: 351 Cleveland, am I screwed??

The first thing to remember is ford built and put in whaterever they thot would sell a car. So you could special order order any thing according to what they had to offer that year, ford also was famous for carring over discontinued stuff till it ran out. Trust me I have been working on Ford and souping them up for over 25 years and working on a poorman's budget you learn to find what fits. To any one fixing anything it pays to do good research and use relaible sources, opinions are going to cost you, find proof and those that know what they are doing will give you the resource they used. And to the moderator what do you consider a stock mustang, and what is a LS1? cant be that good I never heard of it.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 AM   #33
zolax
AF Newbie

351c is a great motor

first things first. What does your vin# say?
Note: a ford vin number will tell you all sorts of information about your car.
You should be able to find out that H would be the code for a 2v cleveland (or winsor) in a 1971-73 mustang and that should also be the code for a 2v cleveland in your '74

The 351M did not exist in 1974. The 400 did. That is the M or modified part. They took a 400 and M'ed or modified it. This is not a good thing in this case. The 351M is best used in a truck for towing as it develops descent low end torque but because of the stroke legnth and small bore diameter as well as the water jacket arrangement of the 351M it is best left alone. You can get a 4v intake for it and that will help some. One could also use it in a marine application by bolting a thick heavy chain to it and then shove it over the side of a sizable boat (boat anchor). The 351M was put in both cars and trucks.

oh and guys the 351c was offered in front of a C6 and also an FMX as well as the 4 speed. If it has an FMX behind it it is definately without a doubt a cleveland. Don't get too excited. They are kind of rare and are pieces of junk after you open them up. A C6 could be almost anything. Heck I had a cleveland that someone had stuffed into my 70 coupe and it had a C4 behind it!? Creative... we are not amused.

Cleveland engines are classified by ford motor company as a mid-sized block.

I guess that the easiest way to tell is go to this website and look at the intake manifolds listed.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_..._sb_perf.shtml

then match the one that looks most like yours. Notice that the 351C and 351M do not interchange as the boobs above have told you. The 351M intake is almost 2" wider than the 351C. The 351M and 400 will exchange intake manifolds. The 351C,M, and 400 will all exchange heads, oil pans, and many other parts but the main journal size of the 351M is different. The crank that is in it is essentially a 351W crank. The block on a 351M and 400 are the same other than main journal size. The different cranks account for the stroke difference and thus the different cubic inch displacement differences.

As far as what to do with it if you do have a 351c I would recomend getting a 4v intake for 2v heads and a 650cfm carb. That should be plenty... but if you want to spend a lot of money... you can get all kinds of crap.

these would be nice.

http://www.australianmuscleparts.com.au/

very nice aluminum heads the greatest benifit from these is dropping 50lbs off the top of the engine

you could get a higher lift/duration cam but why?? Do you want flames shooting out of your tailpipes? Oh and headers couldn't hurt. The 4v exaust manifolds are cool too.

http://www.jegs.com/

search with 351c under keywords

oh and I am a pantera nutttt! I have wanted one since I was in highschool.
just google pantera. you will find all the parts you need.

I have found panteras on the internet that have in excess of 1000 hp and plenty of torque to go with it but again, why? 350 to 500 is more than adaquate. I know that I can't afford that many tires and transmissions. I like some of the injection systems that I have seen for the 351c. If I could get 500 horses and 32 mi/gal that would be really nice.

--zolax--
Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #34
benep
AF Newbie

I had a stock 351C 2V crate motor in my 1970 Cougar. When I restored the car, I put a Elderbrock Performer intake with a Holley 600 vacum secondary. I also replaced the points distributor with an MSD distributor and MSD ignition and coil. I went from stock single exhaust to headman headers with dual exhaust. When I first got the new set up right, the car had amazing torque and take off. Somewhere over a very short period (500 miles), the car has lost the low end torque and is sluggish off the line, but idles well and has power at higher speeds. Two questions. Anybody got any idea how much horsepower I added by making my changes? Any suggestions on what happened to my low end torque? I changed the power valve tonight in the Holley and will test this weekend to see if that is a fix. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #35
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

ow ow ow ow.............
This thread is so old it's making my head hurt.
benep, this is a good question. However, it is not useful to have a new discussion tacked onto an old thread.

Please feel free to start a new thread on this subject and I'm sure you will get a helpful response. Otherwise, this thread will be closed.

BTW, welcome to AF!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars