Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 01:10 PM   #1
955i
AF Newbie

3 series reliability question

Hello I'm new here. I'm considering purchasing a new 2002 325i or 320i (Canadian model) however I am concerned about long term reliability. I plan to keep the car for about 8 years or 160,000km. My previous car was a 99 Passat which was fairly reliable but it started to give me some problems just before I returned it on it's lease. I have done some research on the web and have found that for European cars, BMW seem to have an edge on the rest, except for Mercedes. I know European cars are generally less reliable than Japanese cars especially as they get older. The other car I am considering is the Infiniti G35. Your input will be appreciated. Thanks.
955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
Whitey001
AF Enthusiast

You look at the bmw m3,5 or if u hav the cash the m8
Whitey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:43 PM   #3
jpbmwinfo
AF Newbie

When looking at your new car check the radio, especially the am. If you like to listen to talk radio or AM in general, I wouldn't by the bmw. I bought a new one and the can't fix the distortion in the am section. I'm very disappointed. Every time I turn on am radio become depressed.
jpbmwinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 03:49 PM   #4
sq_man
AF Newbie

what's with these two responses above? Were they written by 10 year-olds?

Anyway, you ask a good question. I too was leary of this when I bought a 2001 325i new. I think that if "little things" failing doesn't bother you too much (nuisances) you'll be OK. My take on German cars is this: the powertrain will go for a very long time, while the conveniance features may have problems.

For example, at about 5,000 miles, the AC blower in my car would randomly change speeds. This was annoying, but I brought it to the dealer and they fixed it quickly with no hassle. At 20,000 miles, the
passenger-side window got stuck halfway. I called the dealer and within a couple weeks they fixed it. I was treated very well.

Before the BMW, I had a series of Hondas for 15 years. Never once did I have a little problem like these. But then they never drove like the BMW either. Good luck.
sq_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
T x 2
AF Enthusiast

I have had my car 2 years, I bought it brand new, it is now on about 70,000klm (i do alot of driving). I have had no problem at all with it.. Is a very good car... I have had many many cars and will have to say that no other car comes close to the driving of a BMW.

Buy the BMW.... you will not regret it. :flash:
Old 09-03-2002, 10:02 AM   #6
webers3
AF Newbie

1999 323i with 33,000 miles, replaced:

Rear differential
Left and right rear wheel bearings
Left and right front control arms

Draw your own conclusions.

As a long time BMW enthusiast, this is very disappointing. BMW appears to have serious quality control issues.
webers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:00 AM   #7
Webmaster_Zeus
AF Enthusiast

E36

Driveline:
- - Water pump will need replacement because of the plastic impeller (M50)
- - Radiator - look for cracks in the plastic neck
- - Defective ignition coils in some of the '91 and '92.
- - Drive belt tensioner (ticking noise, sounds like a tappet)
- - Profile gasket on the earlier 318's (M42)(coolant eats away at the gasket, BMW UK and Australia will fix this under warranty, expect to get 50-70k out of it before it dies, replacement item fixes the problem, so make sure it has been replaced)

- - cracks in plastic thermostat cover (M50)
- - sticking thermostats (M50)

Suspension:
- - Outer ball joints go bad
- - Rear shock mounts go bad

Interior:
- - Window switches
- - Door panels seperate because of insufficient glueing
- - Dashboard vinyl can seperate over the center vent
- - Seat heater elements break
- - Glove boxes misaligned - especially earlier models
- - chipping trim around the tweeters in the front door panels

Exterior:
- - Plastic headlight covers get foggy over time

Misc:
- - brake light switch

Side Note**Do not buy an M52 320/323/328 with an alloy block made before 3/98 unless it's had a new engine under warranty or you get a compression check done. Sulphur in fuel causes premature bore wear which shows as a bad idle and lack of power. Only solution is a new block. This was a particular problem in the North of England. After the problems with the M60 V8 BMW NA were vary of the alloy block M52 **
Thats what usually happens with them.
Webmaster_Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:36 AM   #8
vernong
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vernong Send a message via Yahoo to vernong
Webmaster-zeus

Two questions
1--what do you drive at present time??
2--was most of the information posted on older models??
vernong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:35 AM   #9
Webmaster_Zeus
AF Enthusiast

Currently I drive a Camry 93'. Well its my dad's camry. But what car I drive is irrelavant, whether u take this information or not, its up to u, but if I were u I'd take it, as u'll save a lot of headaches.

But I've been looking out for a BMW. I've consulted a lot of ppl in the industry, espicially mechanics.

The information I posted on is only applicable to the e36, if your looking for older models with the ETA engine then maybe think twice, seriously.

But the e30's r a pretty good buy, about 110kw with 1060kg. They go pretty good from what I've read and discussed with owners and mechanics who work on them . The best one was recommanded in the e30 range would probably be the E30 323i with the Getrag 240 or 245s 5 speed manual (close ratio).

Get new suspension on the e30 n u have a pretty good car.

But if your looking at getting a car drive the range u think u want and then start asking more specific question as your jumping between models and it'll get harder to decide.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:00 PM   #10
vernong
AF Newbie

information

I don't own my bmw it owns me, i love my bmw but then again its only a car.IMHO if i took your information to heart not to get any headackes and other people did the same thing there would be very few bms's sold. In our family alone at present we have 6 bmw's for pleasure and 1 for racing and have own bmw's for many years without the problems you are talking about
good luck
vern.
Ps try one you might like it
again good luck
Old 09-13-2002, 10:11 PM   #11
955i
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I am so concerned about reliability is that the car is for my wife who will be driving our 2 small kids. The last thing I want to happen is to have the Bimmer die and leave them stranded. I can deal with minor problems. At first I was considering a new Audi A4 but they have a horrible reliability record and I would bet that it wouldn't take more than 2 years before the Audi's electrical gremlins leave my family stuck somewhere. I had a '99 Passat that left me stranded more than once. I'm currently researching the 3- series reliability on the internet and I'm still undecided. Now if only german cars where as reliable as Japanese or if Japanese cars were as beautiful as German cars...
955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:01 AM   #12
Webmaster_Zeus
AF Enthusiast

Re: information

Quote:
Originally posted by vernong
I don't own my bmw it owns me, i love my bmw but then again its only a car.IMHO if i took your information to heart not to get any headackes and other people did the same thing there would be very few bms's sold. In our family alone at present we have 6 bmw's for pleasure and 1 for racing and have own bmw's for many years without the problems you are talking about
good luck
vern.
Ps try one you might like it
again good luck
I think u mistinterpreted my post.

The post is only to be used as a guideline before doing a purchase. If your know before hand what are problems before making a purchase, u can make a more comprehensive decision before making a purchase, and on top of that get better value then actually going out and buying it, which later find out to be not worth what you pay for.

Its all a matter of getting better value for your penny, not saying bmw's r crap in anyway.

But any european cars are superior in quality, espicially the build. U get for what u pay for, and on top of that the creature comforts that come with it. I know as my dad use to own a volvo before we migrated to australia, and mind u to own a european car in an asian country is astronomical and on top of that the maintenance for it is mind boggling.

Anyways I don't think you have to worry much, but new always seems better as there's warranty and less fuss about what's wrong under the bonet.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:09 PM   #13
vernong
AF Newbie

webmaster-zeus

Maybe I did misinterpret your post a little bit.After reading your last post I do feel better.(not that bmw's should go into the junk yard).
good luck and have a nice day
vern
Old 09-17-2002, 06:36 AM   #14
Talino
AF Newbie

Quote:
1999 323i with 33,000 miles, replaced:
Rear differential
Left and right rear wheel bearings
Left and right front control arms
Draw your own conclusions.
Awwwlllll.... mine is same model & year w/ 63,000 miles, took home in Nov. '98

-have had 2 recalls in first 2 years
-new set of tires @ 55,000
-oil changed once a year (accdg to service interval)
-And the only major maintenance --- changed left front brake pad

by golly... this 5-speed stick still shoots a bullet and passes smooth as silk:jump:
Talino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:10 AM   #15
lvis
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to lvis
Thumbs up

I have a 1994 325is that has over 115,000 miles. I love it ! At about 100,000 I had to have the transmission rebuilt. The plastic radiator should also be swapped for a metal one. A good resource is the current COnsumer Reports used car guide. I looked up my car and it hit most of the problems I've had...brake light switch, interior, electrical. Other than that, It drives great ! I won't trade it in or sell it for a new car. Dan
lvis is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series