Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
onetime_77
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to onetime_77
88 TBI tail lights and remote start don't work after new fuel pump

so I thought my fuel pump went out but after replacing my relay I got a trickle of gas coming out the TB. Then I wasn't sure it was the pump and not a clog so I took it in. They replace the pump, screens, pigtail etc. Runs like a champ. But not only do my tail lights/reverse/stop/blinker not work correct (with left blinker on one bulb works faint and then both on the right side work faint AT SAME TIME. No reverse at all. Brake works faint only if headlights aren't on. etc) So I don't know if thats a short or what. When I arm my alarm, the license plate lights still work. So I am taking it in for them to look at the lights and hopefully they lifted the bed to replace the pump, and snagged or tore some wires or something they will fix. I am wondering you folks' thought on that problem. My biggie though, is now my remote start isn't working. I don't know if when you hook that up (aftermarket) if there is a wire to the fuel pump that they may have not hooked back up? EVERYTHING was fine before they touched it. Lights worked as I towed it. Remote start worked fine because I tried to fire it one last time before I left it.

Thanks
onetime_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
mbumgua
AF Regular

Re: 88 TBI tail lights and remote start don't work after new fuel pump

there is a ground wire from the frame to the bed on left sideof left frame rail-dim taillight means bad ground to the tailights. check ground that should fix the taillights--they probably did not hook something back up for remote start. hope this helps
mbumgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
locknkey
AF Newbie

That Remote may be connected to the ground wire that is disconnected or barely (loose) on, try to run a wire from the bed to the frame and see what happens (ground circuit) -]]!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
onetime_77
AF Newbie

Thanks mbumgua, I'll go out and look to see if I can't find that. I think I looked at that already and it seemed fine. But I'll check again.

locknkey- maybe I'll get lucky and that's it. I would think the only ground for the alarm and start is from the brain...but I didn't install it so who knows what all is done. Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
onetime_77
AF Newbie

well I went under there and looked. Only ground I could see on the frame was connected to the fill nozzle on the gas tank. It didn't look like it had been touched.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
locknkey
AF Newbie

Thats the static ground for no explosions after you remove or insert the gas nozzle. Its not the ground to the frame to the bed. Try to make one in your frame and place the wire to the bed area to see if there is any change...in your electrical dim loght problem.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
onetime_77
AF Newbie

well shoot, that's right. So much for looking at stuff on break. I'll say I hit my head on the frame and blame that. Thanks. I'll try that when I get out of here.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
mbumgua
AF Regular

Look on the rear outside frame rail next to where the bumper bracket is bolted to the frame. there should be a black 14 gauge wire bolted to the frame rail and to the bed. If not there then you need to replace it. Good luck.
mbumgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
onetime_77
AF Newbie

Thats where it was...well wasn't. I guess they unhooked a lot of the ties back there and forgot that. I went back to the place and showed them the harness(s) back there. I guess they didn't know there was some trailer brake wires there too and overlooked it. All good in the hood now though. Thanks for your help guys!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K