Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
moparformance01
AF Newbie

Unhappy turbo conversion question

I own a 1988 dodge daytona. it is a plane car, 2.2 liter 4 cyl, 5-speed, non turbo.

I have recently bought a 1984 dodge daytona. It is a 2.5 liter 4cyl, 5-speed. with a turbo.

I want to have my 1988 a turbo car. I was originally going to just swap parts and put the turbo on the 2.2 but am afraid i will ruin my motor.

So i decided to swap whole motors. I think I will like the 2.5 better anyways. but, someone told me i have to buy a new computer. I was wondering if i could just take the computer out of the 1984 and plug it into the 1988.

if ANYONE has any information on how i could go about doing this.. Please help me.

I need to know pretty much everything involved. I can do the basic engine swap, but i mostly work on older cars. not the new ones. so any help would be appreciated.

please e-mail me at mlt2005@hotmail.com. subject dodge daytona.
thanks
mike
moparformance01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
janandkyle
AF Newbie

Re: turbo conversion question

84 computer should work but you may have to also change some of the wiring harness
janandkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
600KLancer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparformance01
I own a 1988 dodge daytona. it is a plane car, 2.2 liter 4 cyl, 5-speed, non turbo.

I have recently bought a 1984 dodge daytona. It is a 2.5 liter 4cyl, 5-speed. with a turbo.

I want to have my 1988 a turbo car. I was originally going to just swap parts and put the turbo on the 2.2 but am afraid i will ruin my motor.

So i decided to swap whole motors. I think I will like the 2.5 better anyways. but, someone told me i have to buy a new computer. I was wondering if i could just take the computer out of the 1984 and plug it into the 1988.

if ANYONE has any information on how i could go about doing this.. Please help me.

I need to know pretty much everything involved. I can do the basic engine swap, but i mostly work on older cars. not the new ones. so any help would be appreciated.

please e-mail me at mlt2005@hotmail.com. subject dodge daytona.
thanks
mike
First I am pretty sure the turbo's in 84 were 2.2's not 2.5's The 84 turbos had 2 computers, a spark control comp in engine bay and a logic module inside the car. In 88 they went to a SMEC, single module engine controller. which was in engine bay. 88 wiring is a lot different. electrical connectors are all differnt.

what you are thinking of doing is difficult with your present setups. You could make it alot easier with wiring harness from a 88 turbo car.

hope this helps.
andy

Cincinnati Ohio

85 Dodge Lancer 618,825 miles Turbo II
87 Shelby Lancer w/ hybrid '90 2.5L and 16 valve 2.4L head , Intercooled turbo, A568 5speed
91 Dodge Spirit R/T 2.2L Lotus 16v
91 Dodge Shadow Convt. 2.5 NA
96 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3.8
02 PT cruiser (w/ fake Chrome wheels)
600KLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
GOLIATHGMC
AF Newbie

First, to back up 600KLancer, the 84-86 Daytona/Laser Turbo motors were 2.2l Dodge engines.
Second, I would strongly recommend that you NOT try this conversion for several reasons, the largest of which is that the 1984 setup was the first year for the Turbo EFI engine, and EVERYTHING is unique to it. Sometimes these first year systems were cranky (I had one), and only parts from an '84 car will be useful to it. Later Turbo 1 parts and electronics were interchangeable to some degree from year to year. There is a huge hidden fan base for these cars, but I would be willing to bet that you will have much better luck swapping in an '85 or later drivetrain. The good news is that finding another donor car for you to tear into is VERY easy, and it does not have to be a Daytona - the same basic setup was in Lancers, Lebarons, and even some New Yorkers, as well as Shelby Chargers and Omni GLH's.
My best advice would be to find an '88 Daytona turbo car, and completely swap EVERYTHING. The similarities between them should make the swap more like a reassembly, since they were built that way from the factory.
Good luck!
George
REBEL Motorsports
GOLIATHGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
vamc
AF Enthusiast

I would use the same ecu from the same engine. It know what it has(cpu). Keep everything together.
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona