Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
heavyhalf
AF Newbie

fuel pump

yeah is my fuel pump in the gas tank or somewhere else so I don't have to take the tank off? i have a 1990 daytona v6 4 speed auto
heavyhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
AWP9521
AF Enthusiast

Re: fuel pump

The Fuel Pump is in the Fuel Tank and the only way to change it is to drain and remove the Tank to replace the Pump.
AWP9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:05 AM   #3
Tamerlane
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Re: fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP9521
The Fuel Pump is in the Fuel Tank and the only way to change it is to drain and remove the Tank to replace the Pump.
Actually I changed it recently, I did not have to remove the tank. here is how I did it, and it only took about 1/2 an hour to do it which included changing the fuel hose as well leading to the pump.

1. Disconnect your battery.

2. Drive your car so it is almost empty, less then 1/8 of a tank, otherwise when you remove the fuel pump gas will leak all over you.

3. Drive your car onto a flat surface and jack up the rear end on both sides about 1 foot, so you can crawl underneath and look at the rear of your tank.

4. You will see two places on the back of the tank where devices are inserted. The one on the left, as you are facing the rear of the car is your fuel pump.

5. Use a screw driver with, I think it was 8mm adapter to losen the factory ties on the fuel lines leading the fuel pump.

6. Put a can underneath to catch the fuel as you slowly remove one of the lines. The trick here is to stop pulling on the hose the minute you see gas so that it slowly relieves pressure. When it stops leaking slowy pull on it some more until it begins leaking again. Keep repeating this process until you can remove the hose. Mine leaked about two cups of fuel before it stopped. Be careful, gasoline is flamable. You might want to have some water around to delute the gas.

7. REMOVE BOTH HOSES FROM THE PUMP and Disconnect the electric wire going to the pump motor.

8. I waited awhile before proceeding so any fallen gas or vapors evaporated, took just a few minutes. This way I reduced the possiblity of a fire.

9. Now that the pressure is released from the system and the gas is dry and there is no fumes around the car Use compressed air, or a brush or your hand, to remove some of the dirt that is around the fuel pump housing where it goes into the tank. This will reduce the possibility of dirt falling into your tank when you remove the pump.

10. Now that it is clean around the pump, take a heavy screwdriver and find the metal latch that is holding the pump in. Use a rubber malet and tap the latch counter clockwise until it losens and pops out. I wish I had a picture for you on this one, just study the bracket that holds the pump in, you will see how there is an internal part that turns that holds the pump bracket on. You can turn it and it will pop out. The best way to describe this is it is kind of like a headlight bulb and how it is held in place. There is a bracket that you have to turn that holds the pump in.

9. Ok, assuming you removed the bracket, you are now ready to remove the pump. Grab the ends of the fuel lines that used to be connected to the hose and turn, it should break lose.

10. Be careful when removing the pump not to break the tank pickup filter. Mine fell off in the tank, but it was not problem I just reached in and grabbed it. It is a long, will probably be black in color retangular piece that fits onto the end of the pump. You might have to bend it slightly towards the pump to pull it out of the tank, but mine came out. Don't use the same one, cause you can buy a whole pump with bracket assembly with it install for about 120 bucks.

11. Install new pump in place and reverse the order from above to install it.

This will all probably take you less time then it took to read this, really it is not hard and I did mine in less then 1/2 and hour and changed some rubber fuel lines. You might want to change them as well. I figure, while in there just fix it so you don't have to worry about it.

Also remember if you get fuel line, make sure it is for Fuel injector systems. You will know you have the right hose cause it is expensive, about 10 bucks for a foot. I needed about 1.5 feet to get the job done.

If you have any questions about this let me know.
Tamerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:12 AM   #4
Tamerlane
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: fuel pump

Forgive me, after reading it, I realized that step one, disconnecting the battery cable should be done after you drive the car to 1/8 of a tank left.... Pretty hard to do that without your battery connected.

Also, one more correction, if you use pressurized air to clean the tank, do it before you remove the hoses as to avoid getting dust in your fuel lines.

Also, look to change the whole assembly, don't just change the motor even though you can buy it separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane
Actually I changed it recently, I did not have to remove the tank. here is how I did it, and it only took about 1/2 an hour to do it which included changing the fuel hose as well leading to the pump.

1. Disconnect your battery.

2. Drive your car so it is almost empty, less then 1/8 of a tank, otherwise when you remove the fuel pump gas will leak all over you.

3. Drive your car onto a flat surface and jack up the rear end on both sides about 1 foot, so you can crawl underneath and look at the rear of your tank.

4. You will see two places on the back of the tank where devices are inserted. The one on the left, as you are facing the rear of the car is your fuel pump.

5. Use a screw driver with, I think it was 8mm adapter to losen the factory ties on the fuel lines leading the fuel pump.

6. Put a can underneath to catch the fuel as you slowly remove one of the lines. The trick here is to stop pulling on the hose the minute you see gas so that it slowly relieves pressure. When it stops leaking slowy pull on it some more until it begins leaking again. Keep repeating this process until you can remove the hose. Mine leaked about two cups of fuel before it stopped. Be careful, gasoline is flamable. You might want to have some water around to delute the gas.

7. REMOVE BOTH HOSES FROM THE PUMP and Disconnect the electric wire going to the pump motor.

8. I waited awhile before proceeding so any fallen gas or vapors evaporated, took just a few minutes. This way I reduced the possiblity of a fire.

9. Now that the pressure is released from the system and the gas is dry and there is no fumes around the car Use compressed air, or a brush or your hand, to remove some of the dirt that is around the fuel pump housing where it goes into the tank. This will reduce the possibility of dirt falling into your tank when you remove the pump.

10. Now that it is clean around the pump, take a heavy screwdriver and find the metal latch that is holding the pump in. Use a rubber malet and tap the latch counter clockwise until it losens and pops out. I wish I had a picture for you on this one, just study the bracket that holds the pump in, you will see how there is an internal part that turns that holds the pump bracket on. You can turn it and it will pop out. The best way to describe this is it is kind of like a headlight bulb and how it is held in place. There is a bracket that you have to turn that holds the pump in.

9. Ok, assuming you removed the bracket, you are now ready to remove the pump. Grab the ends of the fuel lines that used to be connected to the hose and turn, it should break lose.

10. Be careful when removing the pump not to break the tank pickup filter. Mine fell off in the tank, but it was not problem I just reached in and grabbed it. It is a long, will probably be black in color retangular piece that fits onto the end of the pump. You might have to bend it slightly towards the pump to pull it out of the tank, but mine came out. Don't use the same one, cause you can buy a whole pump with bracket assembly with it install for about 120 bucks.

11. Install new pump in place and reverse the order from above to install it.

This will all probably take you less time then it took to read this, really it is not hard and I did mine in less then 1/2 and hour and changed some rubber fuel lines. You might want to change them as well. I figure, while in there just fix it so you don't have to worry about it.

Also remember if you get fuel line, make sure it is for Fuel injector systems. You will know you have the right hose cause it is expensive, about 10 bucks for a foot. I needed about 1.5 feet to get the job done.

If you have any questions about this let me know.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
heavyhalf
AF Newbie

thanks that should help but it quit on me and i have a full tank of gas:P but i will take it out.
heavyhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Tamerlane
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhalf
thanks that should help but it quit on me and i have a full tank of gas:P but i will take it out.
Ok, be careful! Good Luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Shaun

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona