Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #31
isodope
AF Newbie

Re: Locking Differential versus Limited Slip differential

You might want to try applying a little brake at the time you find your Torsen diff spinning one wheel uselessly. It might just help.
isodope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #32
Brandon Archer
AF Newbie

i have a s10 and for some reason my G80 locks softly and it limited slip until it spins after that then it completely locks, or it wont lock at all why is that?
Brandon Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #33
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Archer View Post
i have a s10 and for some reason my G80 locks softly and it limited slip until it spins after that then it completely locks, or it wont lock at all why is that?
this eaton locker is not locked until one wheel rotates faster than the other wheel. when the rotation of the rear wheels is different the locker locks then after a few rotations unlocks. this will continue until the rotational speed is with both wheels the same...

the locker should engage smoothly it if bangs in you must drop diff cover , inspect clean and use the synthetic 75-90 wt gear oil.

with the limited slip both wheels are lightly locked all the time.this is for smaller light duty vehicles like rear wheel drive caprices/impala 1994-96 vehicles.etc...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #34
slo99sierra
AF Regular

Because the G80 differential carriers suck.

Actually that is what it is supposed to do. It's mechanical with clutches. It will detect that one tire is spinning, then it will lock for maximum traction. 90% of the time you will be in Open mode (open diff, one tire traction only). However, if you lose traction on that tire, it switches to the other via the G80 then it locks it up.

But the G80s are notorious for exploding even in the best of traction when it's dry. A lot of people I know switched to Detroit Tru-Trac Limited Slip Differentials because they are 1000x more reliable.
slo99sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #35
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo99sierra View Post
Because the G80 differential carriers suck.

But the G80s are notorious for exploding even in the best of traction when it's dry. A lot of people I know switched to Detroit Tru-Trac Limited Slip Differentials because they are 1000x more reliable.

the reason these lockers do fail is because GM did not instruct the new vehicle owner to properly break in the vehicle.

the gear set has metal that requires a breakin period of about 1000miles the first 500miles no long high speed hywy driving. the heat generated gets very high as the metal teeth mesh during the hardening process.

at the 2000mile point the rear diff cover requires removal , gear set clean , and install new 75-90wt synthetic oil..

I know a guy that had his blow. he towed a camper to yellowstone. brand new truck . it blew !

my 2000 diff still works great !
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #36
4x4junkie
AF Regular

i agree with you Jcat mine works just fine as well.

2012 silverado 1500 ext. cab LT
Z71 4x4 with allstar package
5.3L V8 Flexfuel with 6 speed AT
Onstar / Sirius XM
Factory Tow Package
Electric Brake Controller
Silver Ice Metallic
265/65/18

Wifes Vehicle
2014 Kia Sorento EX AWD
3.3L V6

Toys
2007 Yamaha VStar Silverado
1086cc 45 degree vtwin
Grey and Silver
GPS positioning locator installed
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #37
Brandon Archer
AF Newbie

thinks, i need that info because i thought it was brokin and wouldnt completely lock, my diff is wierd as hell, im not lieing when i tell you it makes one revolution and the tire off the ground stops without acceleration then when i do hit the gas it spins and the other isnt spinning, now granted i am moving very slowly but i can do that again the same way and then the rear will completely lock and both tires pull at the same time, do you think not changing the lub is effecting that?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #38
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
thinks, i need that info because i thought it was brokin and wouldnt completely lock, my diff is wierd as hell, im not lieing when i tell you it makes one revolution and the tire off the ground stops without acceleration then when i do hit the gas it spins and the other isnt spinning, now granted i am moving very slowly but i can do that again the same way and then the rear will completely lock and both tires pull at the same time, do you think not changing the lub is effecting that?
I had years ago park brake issues. to adjust the park brake you must rotate the rear wheel adjust repeat..I soon learned that I had to have BOTH wheels off the ground as the axle would lock up as ONE....

diff fluid requires replacement every 30-40,000 miles. after the breakin period.. cover removed gears cleaned inspected, magnet cleaned.

paint the cover because it will rust thru ..

reusing the gasket is possible if this was installed correctly...

applying silicone sealant to the gasket , then place on the cover .. then after this silicone sets up 45 min install the cover ...only a small film of sealant is needed ..

now when cover is removed the next time with slight tap the cover and gasket will come off together ...no mess on the housing..

using low odor mineral spirits/paint thinner cleaner works great to clean and remove debris..parts brush if really bad...

with the diff cleaned and new fluid it will go in and out of lock up faster and work much better..
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #39
Brandon Archer
AF Newbie

yeah i figured changing the fluid would help alot, but is there such thing as a locking diff that locks into limited slip and after it spins in that i then goes into lock up were it sends equal power to both tires? have urs ever been hanging on a ditch and lock but when u hit the gas it only spins that one tire sending little power to the other wheel? ill just have to take a vid of it, my truck for some reason locks into somthing similer to a very strong limited slip and if it spins then it will go int total lock up. i also think i have limited slip in the front because my front tire hops while the othere front is spinning
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #40
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
yeah i figured changing the fluid would help alot, but is there such thing as a locking diff that locks into limited slip and after it spins in that i then goes into lock up were it sends equal power to both tires? have urs ever been hanging on a ditch and lock but when u hit the gas it only spins that one tire sending little power to the other wheel? ill just have to take a vid of it, my truck for some reason locks into somthing similer to a very strong limited slip and if it spins then it will go int total lock up. i also think i have limited slip in the front because my front tire hops while the othere front is spinning

up north we here hit the ice on the road shoulders all the time ..the passengerside wheel will spin then the rear axle will lock in as one solid axle then release then lock up ..this is how it works,,,,it does not stay locked up ! it is all mechanical....but it still gives you traction because the driverside wheel on the dry pavement will create traction .
Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #41
slo99sierra
AF Regular

In essence, the G80 is an abortion of a product from GM. The definition is as a Limited Slip Diff, but they call it a locker.

True Definitions-
Locking Differential: Both wheels locked one and together at the same time (Best application is Drag Racing)
/E-Locker: Electromechanical differential, uses electricity to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best Application is rock crawling, drag racing)
/Air Locker: Pneumatic differential, uses air to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best application is the same as above)

Limited Slip Differential: One spins then the other catches and temporarily locks until both wheels are the same speed. Is Open during turns, and locks during traction issues. (Best application is Road/Track Racing)

Open Differential: One wheel turns/pushes the vehicle the entire time, "one tire fire". (Best Application is normal driving)

90% of our trucks on the road today have the Open Diff. The other 10% have the G80, and among them are the ones that swapped out to a superiorly built Limited Slip Diff.
slo99sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #42
Brandon Archer
AF Newbie

thinks, yeah i hooked up to a ranger with limited slip and it was the same year and everything and pulled him like nothing in 4wd and him in it too, one tire on the left side and front right spun on his and all four berly spinning on mine, and in a turn the truck torqus up and front and rear tire hopps
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #43
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo99sierra View Post
In essence, the G80 is an abortion of a product from GM. The definition is as a Limited Slip Diff, but they call it a locker.

True Definitions-
Locking Differential: Both wheels locked one and together at the same time (Best application is Drag Racing)
/E-Locker: Electromechanical differential, uses electricity to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best Application is rock crawling, drag racing)
/Air Locker: Pneumatic differential, uses air to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best application is the same as above)

Limited Slip Differential: One spins then the other catches and temporarily locks until both wheels are the same speed. Is Open during turns, and locks during traction issues. (Best application is Road/Track Racing)

Open Differential: One wheel turns/pushes the vehicle the entire time, "one tire fire". (Best Application is normal driving)

90% of our trucks on the road today have the Open Diff. The other 10% have the G80, and among them are the ones that swapped out to a superiorly built Limited Slip Diff.
90% of the 1999 -2011 gm trucks have the locking diff.

the limited slip is not used in gm trucks !..my 96 impala ss has a limited slip ..this is full time "limited" slip ...if you are on a small grade one wheel on ICE the other on pavement your not going anywhere....just tested this out got 12inches of heavy snow ..last night ...good on dry pavement however not good in the snow ...

when working on the brakes rear , with the limited slip you must lift both rear wheels to get any rotation unless you put a breaker bar on a lug nut and at about 50 ft lbs the wheel will rotate..the other rear wheel on the ground..this is the test proceedure on checking if the "limited " slip is working as built.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #44
bigbadram51
AF Regular

I put in an Auburn LSD when I re-greared it does amazing on snow and ice, uphill or flat in 2wd even running 37x13.5 mud tires.
Yukon 4.88's with Auburn LSD
Xentec 6500k HID lows, Silverstar Ultra brights
Wade in channel window vents
Covermaster Top
Flowmaster 40 series, dual outs
Nelson 89/91 HOT TUNE
20" MB Gunner 6's, 37" Toyo Open Country MT's
Eclipse AVN6600 w/sirius and IPOD controllers
Code Alarm w/ Remote Start
bigbadram51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #45
Elbert
AF Regular

dobut the GM version is a true locker...more likely an aggressive limited slip.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado