Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
ratbike1000r
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ratbike1000r
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi LOW POWER

I have recently purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram ST 4x4 Quad cab work truck with a 5 speed standard transmission. The truck has about 5000 mile on it now. This truck has "low power" it does not pull a trailor very good at all. I have been towing a 12 ft. inclosed trailor that weights about 1500 lbs., the truck feels like it's pulling a 40 ft. gooseneck trailor loaded with cattle while pulling this small trailor. I took the truck back to the dealer and expained the problem. The dealer ran it through the shop and reported the truck has no codes and is running fine. I have compaired this truck to my 1996 3/4 ton Chevy that has a 5.7 L. gasoline engine in it. It can pull this small trailor real good (like it not even there) So has anyone else had problems with the 5.7 Hemi ?? Does anyone got any ideals what might be wrong with this truck?? Thanks
ratbike1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
young_mechanic
AF Newbie

I'm only 17, but i can tell what your problem is...
it's that your expecting this new HEMI to be a trueHEMI but it'ds not.
this isn't your fault though it's just that Dodge put the name HEMI on this engine just to turn a couple dollars.
It doesn't truelly have hemispherical heads and the engine is a p!$$ poor HEMI wanna-be.
so basically put, your HEMI ain't really the engine you were expecting and that it can't really do what an older HEMI could do.
My advice, go get a Ford, because these new chevy Duramax trucks aren't that good either.
young_mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi LOW POWER

I was talking about something like this with a friend of mine earlier tonight. He works at a trailer company and they use all kinds of trucks to pull trailers all over the country. They have a 3500 Dodge Ram with a Hemi with single rear wheels that pulls a 5000 lbs. trailer just fine but with any of their 3/4 ton or 1/2 trucks it's very noticeable that there's a trailer there. However if you're thinking about something to replace your current truck he recomends the 3500 with the Cummins. He's pulled 40,000 + lbs. goosenecks down to Texas and back (1,500 miles one way) without even the slightest problem. The Chevys and Fords the company owns have never been able to make the trip without any problems.
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:34 AM   #4
MikeAP
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to MikeAP

I work at a dodge dealership as an apprentice mechanic.. The problem your having is because your "HEMI" is not broke in yet. These so calle dhigh performance enignes come from the factory "De-Tuned" they are programmed to unleash there power after about 20 000 kms, the reccommended break in period for these motors.. after 20k you will be very impressed with the power gains taht you get, and you won't notice that trailer any more. Good luck with your "HEMI"
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Re: Re: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi LOW POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydg
He's pulled 40,000 + lbs. goosenecks.

Can't you get in trouble for pulling over the GVWR or w/e?? 40,000 is a hell of a lot of weight, I'm sure they have plenty of power to pull that but I'd be afraid of having to stop in a hurry with those.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Mopar JunkE
AF Newbie

I know a lot about dodge engines. if your going to tow something, don't use that to do it. your should have got a Cummins. you cant beat the tourqe and its a work horse. that 5.7 hemi is a groccery getter as far as im consered. the 6.1L is another story though but the new ones arnt anything like the old ones. the newer 5.7L is a joke. its one of the few mopar engines ill ever call a joke.
Mopar JunkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
JKBigHungry
AF Newbie

hey I think that your pulling to big of a trailer for that truck. You need a diesal like a Cummins, Dura max, or Power Stroke. You did the same thing that I did. I thougt that the Dodge with the 5.7L V8 Hemi would have a good towing abilty but the only thing it can tow is a U-haul 6X12 trailer or pull a 1/2 ton truck out of the mud. I'm now looking for a new truck with some balls. My 2005 5.7L V8 is going to be used for a mudd fun truck and i'm going to get a new quad cab with a 6.4L power storke diesal or maybe a Cummins. Because i want to get a truck the hauls. But hey u still have a nice truck and u have to work with what you got.
JKBigHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
torahkeepers4
AF Newbie

It could be how it's geared because I have a 2004 2500 with a hemi and I have pulled over 30k with it and it did fine,not like a diesel would though.but I pull horse trailers all the time with it and I can cruse at 70 or 80 all day long
torahkeepers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

Good info but this is a 6 year old dead thread.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical