Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Spydre13
AF Newbie

Trac Off, ABS, Service Traction System

Every once in a while lately my 2001 Impala 3800 will have its ABS and Trac Off lights come on shortly after starting and driving the car. Also the message center says "Service Traction System" for a short time, and then it goes away but the two lights stay on. I'm going to get the computer codes checked in the next couple of days, but has anybody had these or similar problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nate
Old 02-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
tkdieter
AF Newbie

service traction system

My wifes car is having same problem 2000 impala 3800 motor. I was going to check the wheel speed sensors in the next week or so. Please post anything you find out about this problem
Old 02-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
lre
AF Newbie

Re: Trac Off, ABS, Service Traction System

I am having the same problem with my 2001 impala. It started about 2 weeks ago. Today it came on while I was idling. My car has just over 50,000 miles on it. I haven't been into the shop yet because the lights go off and on.

Did you get your problem figured out and/or fixed? I would like to hear back from you.

Lana
Old 03-10-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
wpg2rch
AF Newbie

This has started happening to my wife's 2002 Impala as well. Did anyone find out what was happening for this to happen? Was it just a bad sensor? What did you do to check the wheel speed sensors?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
ck_1500
AF Newbie

I had the same problem with my 2001 Impala LS last month. The trac off,ABS, service traction system message would come on after a few
miles. The dealer found the right rear wheel speed sensor was defective.
They had to replace the hub assembly. It seems to be a common problem. My extended warranty covered the repair.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
guenther
AF Newbie

Similar problem with my 2000. Turned out to be low on brake fluid. Got it up to the correct level and the problems went away.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
dpannazzo
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Trac Off, ABS, Service Traction System

Had same problem after forgetting to replinish the brake fluid after changing brake pads. Problem went away after replinshing fluid.
Check your fluid level.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #8
Spydre13
AF Newbie

Problem Solved

Actually, I fixed this problem about a month ago. It turned out to be the rear driver side wheel speed sensor. I just got a used wheel hub (since the sensor alone can't be replaced) to replace it and haven't had the problem since.

For anyone else that comes across this, I just checked the resistance between the two terminals on all of the wheel speed sensors. I don't remember what the correct resistance is, but the resistance of the rear driver side sensor was significantly higher than the rest.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
gonefishin8092
AF Newbie

I've got the very same problem on my 2004 Monte Carlo. It's only got 30,000 miles on it buy at random times the "Service Traction System" message comes up on the dash and the "ABS" and "trac off" lights come on.

I'm finding a lot of chatter on this topic which leads me to believe that the Chevy wheel speed sensors are really problematic. I really love this car but I'm mad now that I see people with a number of different Chevy makes back as far as 2000. Yuk.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
LandonFries
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Trac Off, ABS, Service Traction System

I also had this problem on my 2005 Impala LS, I removed the wheels and measured the wheel speed sensor resistence, all of them were right up around 1090 Ohms except the passenger side rear sensor which was 1008 Ohms. I purchased a new hub assembly from O'Reilly for $120 and measured the resistance, this was up around 1090 Ohms like the others. Before installing the hub I plugged all the sensors in and the new one to ensure the error lights went out which they did. I proceeeded to install and the problem has been solved, both the front and the rear are not very hard to replace, although you will need a 33mm deep socket to remove the front main nut from the hub. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

Welcome to AF. I know you are trying to contribute here but a 6 month old thread is dead, start a new one if you wish, thanks.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS