Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Metal Shaping and Welding Discuss metal shaping and welding techniques. Share your projects or tips and tricks.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
Project 1949 Ford

A friend of mine and I picked up an old '49 Ford in June. Here is some background information on the buildup. This car needed some serious TLC to say the least. He purchased the car for $1500(a fair price if you don't know much about these), and allowed me to help him get it back to the driving condition. We work well together(we just completed a 1928 Model A streetrod the previous winter) even though he is 64, and I am only 15. The man we purchased the car from had aqcuired it through a trade for something else, and didn't want it. We just happened to be looking for one for months, and this fit our bill nicely. Here are some pictures of the condition when it was rolled off the trailer and into the garage. I hope you guys(and gals) enjoy seeing this buildup as much as I do working on it.

Here are a few looks at the subject.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Re: Project 1949 Ford

Looks like its in really good condition. I love the taillights on those. Having someone like that as a mentor type is great, I wish I would have had someone that would have helped me out and taught me stuff they had learned over the years. Most of the time you can learn 1000 times more from listening to older people's stories and advice than you can from any book.

What are you plans for the car? Kinda makes me want to go buy the 65 dodge polara I'v had my eye on for a while.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #3
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

First of all I want to thank Mike for moving this for me. I think it might mean something to you guys, and maybe inspire and shed light on metal work. Here are some more pictures of the original condition.
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
If you can't tell what your looking at, this is whats left of the passenger side floor and rocker. Looks strong, eh?
[IMG][/IMG]
And this is the drivers side, just below the pedals.
[IMG][/IMG]
Passenger side floor and kick-up.
[IMG][/IMG]
I have the pictures, but downsizing them is very time consuming, so I will post more later. The actual fabrication part is next, and there is ALOT of it!
Old 10-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

It is quite a project, but it is moving very fast considering it's condition. Having someone older really is nice. We work as a good team. He keeps my crazy ideas in check, and I throw fresh approaches to problems in to him. I really love saving the older cars that otherwise would have parted, or rotted out. The plans for it is a mild custom. It will have frenched taillights and headlights, shaved handles and emblems, a peaked hood, a peaked decklid, fender skirts, small block Chevy, either stock or '54 Chevy grille, and some other cool tricks. Polara sounds good too, love to see it's buildup if it happens. At this point, we are nearing the putty stage. Most metal is back in the car with the exception of the hood... Also, I learned to weld on this car, so the welds start out a little rough, but I like to think I am decent now. Hope everyone enjoys!
Old 10-24-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Do I spy a flathead?

Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 AM   #6
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

You're pretty damn lucky that you have parents that will let you work on a heap of shit, (not insulting you). They see rustbucket hot rods as just that, shitty old rustbuckets that Moses drove the river.

BTW, the new pics ain't workin' for me.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

You do spy a flathead. I have numerous pictures of it coming up. I figured my pictures would fail sometime... anyone else having problems? You are right, I am pretty lucky to have the chance to work on these cars. I guess the figure it keeps me out of bigger trouble. Now that I start thinking of projects, a whole load come to mind. The small block which will probably be used in the '49 is in my shed, and I hope to pick up a '35 4 door Ford. I am a little off track though now.Here are some more, hope they work!
And the fabrication of a whole new wheel well begins...
[IMG][/IMG]
The left front fender is lifted off to find out what is hiding under it...
[IMG][/IMG]
Does everyone remember the floor... or lack of floor I should say. This is the rear section under the rear seat of the drivers side... This is his welding, when he was teaching me( a little gas, a little wire-fed).
[IMG][/IMG]
He left the keys to his garage for a couple hours, and voala! A floor has been born. This job is all mine, good and bad. Sorry, I am missing the rocker install, but you can see the basics of it in this one(its just surface rust on it).
[IMG][/IMG]
Another picture of the whole floor, kickup and all. The kickup was fabbed out of a Toyota decklid, and the rest of the floor was fabbed out of a GM van top(notice the strengthened rolls). I also missed pics of the under supports of the floor, running from the supports to the frame.
[IMG][/IMG]
Ahh yes, the legendary flathead that Chamber spyed.
[IMG][/IMG]
A better look...
[IMG][/IMG]
This is where the trim used to reside. It will be replaced with Buick side trim(not the wide).
[IMG][/IMG]
Thats all for now, but tommorrow I will post pics of the finished wheel well, finished passenger sided door and rocker, and finished trunk. I hope to run over and get some pics tonight. Right now it is down to bare metal, and nearing putty/primer. We hope to be into mudding by Thanksgiving. I know that this looks cheap, having not ordered the parts, but this is a REAL budget car. Also, it is being done correctly, with absolutely no fiberglass filler. We will be rolling undercoating on the floors soon, and then they will look perfect. Hope you guys are enjoying, and say something if you can't see the pics.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #8
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

you can host the pictures here on the forums, click on the gallery link at the very top under the blue skyline. More reliable than the host your using.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #9
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

I was trying to use that when I started, but wasn't able to, so Mike suggested using ImageShack. Sorry, but it is all I can get to work for me right now.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:21 AM   #10
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

If you send me a zip file with all the pictures in them, I'll resize them for them for you. tsc_kustomz@yahoo.com

Old 10-26-2004, 06:52 AM   #11
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Looks good R&C Grant. Man oh man, only if you had a sand blaster to blast the hell out those floor boards and frame.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #12
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

You can say that again...
Old 10-27-2004, 11:30 PM   #13
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Hey man, I resized all the pictures so that this thread will be dailup friendly, I'll mail them to you if you want?

Old 10-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #14
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Yea that sounds good. I put the pics in a zip file and tried to send them to you, but it just kept loading them or something. Maybe I'll try again. Thanks for helping get these pics up right.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #15
Snow93
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Snow93

Buetiful car a 1949 ford. Glad ya saved it from rotten out. Tryin to get a Checker myself. You might want to get that ol thing blasted though..
Snow93 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding