Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #16
935k3
AF Enthusiast

Some on this board may remember I built the original kit of the 99 Merc for the kit producer for advertising the kit. It's an easy to build kit. The only problem I had was with the fit of the windshield. It would be better to remove the cast in roll bar around the window frame and fit glass from inside. I usedTamiya Gloss aluminum. The wheels came out ok, I heavily primed them and gave them a coat of Krylon White to smooth out the white metal castings, then sprayed with TS-30 silver leaf. Here is a pic of the one I built.

Last edited by 935k3; 09-18-2004 at 10:52 PM.
935k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:01 PM   #17
MickSz
AF Regular

Re: Le Mans Contest Entry: 99 Mercedes CLR vs. 99 Audi R8C

Thanks Bill. I have a friend who may have both the Sakatsu Wheels and the Scale Production transkit. I'll have to ask him.
MickSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #18
MickSz
AF Regular

935k3, that is a sweet build. I hope mine turns out half that good.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:16 AM   #19
nismo man
AF Regular

your CLR is sweet 935k3 can we see more pics please .
Old 04-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #20
MickSz
AF Regular

Hey Everyone,

Been what seems like a very long time since my last post...Come to think of it, it WAS a long time since I updated this diary well lets get started then..

FINALLY managed to get the body smooth and the new panel lines all scribed. This was truly a nasty undertaking. The resin is very inconsistent...When scribing new lines I would run into soft pockets where it felt like the knife was going to go right through, then a few centimeters later I'd run into what felt like scribing titanium...

Next step is to fit the glass. I have a concern about the fitment just looking at the underside of the roof...looks thick and inconsistent so better to fit things now while I can grind away without marring the painted surface...

So, what have I been doing since my last post ?
I built a few kits of course

Rennaisance 250 Testarossa Pontoon Fender. This kit was only marginally better than the R8C.. TONS of sanding to get things flat and true. Turned out ok:

Fisher Porsche RSK. This was an awesome kit to build. Theres only about 10 pieces so it's all about the exterior look and stance. The only thng I didn't like was the resin cast wheels. They're nice clean castings but they would have been a nightmare to paint. I dug out a Fujimi Porsche 356 Carrera kit and swiped the wheels and tires. Looks cool....

Hasegawa Mazda 767B. Kind fun to play with plastic again. These kits go together quickly and easily. I had built this kit about 15 years ago and did a royal mess of it so I had to get it off the shelf At that time I had used the decals for the green and 15 years later thay have cracked terribly. This time around I paint the orange of course, the green, and the black sections.The wheels were pianted with Alclad Chrome over Acrylic Black Gloss. I find the Acrylic yields a more realistic brushed aluminum.

So whats on the bench now ? Obviously the R8C and the Mercedes CLR are at the same stage now so those are priority one. Other than those two I have under primer the following: LeMans Miniature's 1967 Ford GT LeMan's winner, Profil24's Maserati Tipo 151-3, LeMans Miniature's Dauer Porsche, and Profil24's McLaren F1 GTR Gulf Livery.

Stay posted. I'll be updating more frequently, I promise Any comments or questions are welcome.

Mick Sz.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:52 AM   #21
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Oh my god, I can´t believe it! Great stuff on the shelves you got. Wish I had them on my board!
Ferrari 250 GTO LM 1962 (chassis #3387)
godfather23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:03 AM   #22
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Great to hear from you Mick! Three fantastic and very unique models you've completed there. Love the last pic of primed bodywork. Great lineup (expensive too!) of projects to be working on. Thanks for sharing with us.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #23
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

impressive
I wish for that car park, even in resin if nothing else

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:32 AM   #24
p9o1r1sche

Great progress thread! Keep updating.

Did you rescribe the panel lines on the Audi using a hobby knife? Did you use any kind of guide to keep the lines straight?
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #25
MickSz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9o1r1sche
Great progress thread! Keep updating.

Did you rescribe the panel lines on the Audi using a hobby knife? Did you use any kind of guide to keep the lines straight?

Thanks guys. To scribe the new lines I use a flexible plastic ruler. I first draw all the lines on with pencil, then lay the ruler down as best as possible.. Then very lightly you start the process with the back of a #11 blade....Several hours later, there you have it

Mick Sz.

Last edited by MickSz; 04-18-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:31 PM   #26
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Le Mans Contest Entry: 99 Mercedes CLR vs. 99 Audi R8C

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9o1r1sche
That Volkl Resin Co has some cool subjects (Porsche 914, BMW 2002), but I have heard about the poor quality. Good luck with both kits. If you have any secrets about scribing straight, even panel lines, I'm all ears.
Hi,

I just want to correct:

The BMW 2002 ist produced by Toydrom, not VRC. I guess it is the best 2002 available in 1:24, just have a look here:
http://www.automobilminiaturen.de/GA...r/P5050001.jpg

Micha
sportracer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #27
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvia
Mick,
p.s. As for the wheels...I can't recall a single styrene kit that would have the correct rims. LMM's Audi R8R's of course have them (and LMM is pretty good about selling wheels sets seperately) and Sakatsu DID machine
them once upon a time

http://www.scaleracecars.com/Merchan...y_Code=sakatsu

...but not anymore.

Hi,

as I know the wheels and brakes are original from LeMansMiniatures, no copies!!

…and -btw- the Blackbox CLK is 1:25, not 1:24.

MickSz,

great models in this thread !!!!!!!!!!!! Thumb up !!!!!!!!!!

Micha
sportracer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #28
MickSz
AF Regular

Re: Re: Le Mans Contest Entry: 99 Mercedes CLR vs. 99 Audi R8C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportracer02
…and -btw- the Blackbox CLK is 1:25, not 1:24.
You know, I wondered that, looking at the two side by side I was thinking the Audi was huge...So it's the other way around...Good to know, thanks.

Mick
Old 04-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #29
Big Kahuna
AF Regular

Mick,
PM me with your email addy.
I have LOTS of pics of both cars and would be happy to send them on.

I love your work so far. I am watching this thread with interest.

Regards
Nenad
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #30
lotus_man
AF Enthusiast

Good looking builds, the R8C looks like a lot of work, but I always liked the look of the original, shame it didn't work out so well. To add to an earlier comment, it did indeed run in the same event as the first generation R8R, which was run for Audi Sport Germany by Reinhold Joest and his team. The R8C was an (almost) entirely seperate entry, run on behalf of Audi Sport UK, I think by RML from memory who went on to help out with the Bently program.

As for the CLR (flying car), I remember watching the morning warm up when webber flipped for the second time, and seeing the car sliding along the armco. At that point we were all shocked that it had happened twice. We were even more amazed when the surviving cars started the race... I don't think I;d have wanted to be driving one by that stage! I still find it interesting that remours persist to today that they also had at least on chasis destroyed by a flip in private testing, although no one seems to be in a psoition to confirm this.

My question is... whats the Profil McLaren like, I ask as I have the 95 winner winnging it's way to me as I type, and I can't wait to find out!

lotus_man is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports