Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #16
mega3000
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Intermediate steering shaft 2000 impala

Following the advice on the forum I just lubricated my ISS with a half can of spray lithium grease. I was able to reach under the dash, pull back the rubber cover, and spray away while I turned the steering wheel. Worked like a charm. I will post another update when I need to re-apply.

(Now only if I could use that spray inside my shoulder.)
mega3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
mega3000
AF Newbie

Re: Intermediate steering shaft 2000 impala

Just a quick update. I have not needed to lube the ISS again since I last posted back in Nov 2009. Will update again when I need to lube the shaft.
mega3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #18
mjmcg
AF Newbie

Re: Intermediate steering shaft 2000 impala

I am wondering if the clunk I have in my steering, which feels like it's right at the wheel itself, is the same notorious noise that everyone else mentions. The reason I wonder this is because all the other posts I found describe it as being something that happens when you turn the wheel 180 deg side to side. My little "knock" usually happens as I'm conservatively accelerating up to the street limit and roll over sharp pavement heave across the lane. I also note a little play in the wheel, which if straight is 12:00, I can move the wheel back and forth between about 11:58 and 12:02 without it even feeling like it's connected to anything, and while driving straight that "clunk" seems to feel like the rest of the shaft is moving back and forth within that dead zone of wheel movement. If anyone knows what the heck I mean by all that. The car tracks true enough, it doesn't wander but it definitely feels like the steering wheel and the rest of the column are by way of a 1" peg in a 1 1/2" hole.
mjmcg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS