Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
89ludedude
AF Newbie

Re: Faulty Fuel Gauge '99 Silverado

Also have a '99 Silverado; just paid for the replacement ($525.00). Way too cold here to do it myself.
What I can't find - or find out - is whether the replacement pump and fuel level sending unit last longer than the original faulty ones?
Has anyone out there had a replacement in the truck for 4, 5, or more years without a recurring problem?
Probably won't get a reply to this one; if mine was fixed (and had continued to work) why would they be in a post about faulty fuel pumps?!?
Worth a try ...
89ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
j cAT
AF Fanatic

this post is too old.....start new post of your own..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
tired_of_chevy
AF Newbie

I was told you could not get the gas gauge unit by itself..that you had to replace both..I did and it lasted about 2 years now I need to have it replace again...Why is GM allowed to sell this crap and not have to replace it when so many are having problem with it..
tired_of_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired_of_chevy View Post
I was told you could not get the gas gauge unit by itself..that you had to replace both..I did and it lasted about 2 years now I need to have it replace again...Why is GM allowed to sell this crap and not have to replace it when so many are having problem with it..
over the past few years this fuel guage reostat has improved .so 2 yrs ago you replaced this , because the gauge did not work ?

who did you purchase this fuel pump from ?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
4x4junkie
AF Regular

Everyone always mentions dropping the tank, why is that easier than removing the 4 bolts that hold on the bed, then carefullt li8ft and turn the bed enough to access and replace the pump and sending unit, granted you must be careful with any wiring for lights.

2012 silverado 1500 ext. cab LT
Z71 4x4 with allstar package
5.3L V8 Flexfuel with 6 speed AT
Onstar / Sirius XM
Factory Tow Package
Electric Brake Controller
Silver Ice Metallic
265/65/18

Wifes Vehicle
2014 Kia Sorento EX AWD
3.3L V6

Toys
2007 Yamaha VStar Silverado
1086cc 45 degree vtwin
Grey and Silver
GPS positioning locator installed
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #21
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
Everyone always mentions dropping the tank, why is that easier than removing the 4 bolts that hold on the bed, then carefullt li8ft and turn the bed enough to access and replace the pump and sending unit, granted you must be careful with any wiring for lights.
Depends on the equipment you have and help you have and what bed and mouting you have.

Some people even cut a acess hole in bed to get to the pump.

But main thing make sur it is the tank sending unit that is bad and then use the proper parts to fix it.
If replacing the whole fuel pump assembley always go Delphi.
Airtex and after market pumps are junk.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
dropping the tank may or may not be easier..it depends on how much fuel in the tank. also what equipment you have to replace the pump.

advantage to sliding the bed back [not removing ] is , you can clean/lube the access to pump...install pump and test . measure voltages check wiring , fuel pressures , and grounds easier.. then slide bed back..

you need 2-3 guys to do this ..remove the rear tires..
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Bigg G
AF Newbie

I bought a 2001 Silverado 2 weeks ago and my truck has the same issue.

Seems as though when I top off the fuel gauge needle fluctuates less but when @ 1/2- 3/4 tank the gauge needle flucuates anywhere's between 1/4-3/4 a tank of gas while driving. Also, when parked and idling or if at a long red light the fuel gauge needle drops to empty and then the orange fuel light glows and stays on but as soon as I move the gear selector to drive the fuel gauge needle moves to about 1/2 a tank and the orange fuel light goes off .

Had me freaked out until after reading about the issue.
I pretty much keep track of my miles driven and gallons purchased until I can have it fixed.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
j cAT
AF Fanatic

the fuel sender was made with a silver material that reacts with the fuel.this causes the guage to go from full to empty,and every other point.

using techron fuel system cleaner along with 3 OZ of marvel mystery oil reduces this problem add when filling tank.

replacing the fuel pump is not easy.some have cleaned off this sender and found it to work good for a year or so.

these pumps are expensive. whatever you do do not use the airtex brand.

get the delphi fuel pump.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
Bigg G
AF Newbie

Great info guys.....thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #26
Billtownsuper
AF Newbie

I have the same problem with my 2001 Silverado fuel gauge of course. I was discussing it with my mechanic and he showed me one he had replaced. He indicated the problem is with the design of the sending unit in that the mechanism's arm that makes contact with the gauge plate does not have a tension setup built into it and when the edge of the arm making contact wears, it cannot make adequate contact therefore the sporadic readings. I was wondering why I couldn't just bend the arm a little to create more spring to it so it make better contact. Anyone have a reason why it wouldn't work?
Billtownsuper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado