Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
BigD3748
AF Newbie

Zetec? whats this?

Now i am not much a ford man, but is ford's ZETEC the equivalent of Honda's Vtec? and also whats the stock hp rating on an 00' zx2?
BigD3748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Shadowman890
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Shadowman890
Re: Zetec? whats this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD3748
Now i am not much a ford man, but is ford's ZETEC the equivalent of Honda's Vtec? and also whats the stock hp rating on an 00' zx2?
The Zetec is kinda like Honda's V-tech, the Zetec is basically just Variable Cam Timing. The stock HP for the ZX2 is 130, 0-60 in 7.4 sec., I've seen it written somewhere that it does 1/4 mile in 15.5(If you're a really good Driver in a manual). There is alot of potential out on the market for them as well.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Shadowman890
AF Regular

BTW..And I'm just guessing here, the Automatic ZX2's probably have like 120-125 HP and the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are probably a sec. more or so. Just in case you were wondering.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:45 PM   #4
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Markgase2000

the autos are pretty close
Markgase2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Markgase2000

theres only one 2.0 ztec , theres a few different vtecs so id have to ask , which vtec is the vtec that the guy is bragging about in his civic and they get a blank look usually. they got 1.6 , 1.8 , 2.2 and all have sohc or dohc , just too many to choose from but makes it easier for a guy whos lookin to buy new and save lots of money by getting the cheaper one. Sorry if im babbling.
Markgase2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
zx2srdotnet
Banned

Send a message via AIM to zx2srdotnet

Zetec is nothing like Vtec, Zetec is the name of teh motor, not a part or function of it, the VCT is used fro emissions and is only controped by teh computer (hence why the S/R is quicker, it uses the VCT for performance)
zx2srdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Shadowman890
AF Regular

Re: Re: Zetec? whats this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx2srdotnet
Zetec is nothing like Vtec, Zetec is the name of teh motor, not a part or function of it, the VCT is used fro emissions and is only controped by teh computer (hence why the S/R is quicker, it uses the VCT for performance)
Wrong. You are right in the fact that zetec is what the motor is called, however, the vct (VARIABLE CAM TIMING) is fairly similar to the v-tec. The VCT advances or retards the timing depending on various driving conditions. V-tec does the same thing but it also has valve timing changes. So it is somewhat similar to v-tec. just my
Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
zx2srdotnet
Banned

Vtec was created to help teh tq-less hondas keep more tq u the power curve, that is why it was created. the VCT was created for better emissions, better TQ curve is just a side effect, that is why when u mess w/ teh VCT u can fail emissions, but you can mess w/ a Vtec mech all day and pass emissions.

VCT's performace is at teh lose of better emissions (what it was designed for

Vtech was designedjust for better emissions

that is why u cant buy a VCT controller like u can a Vtech, teh VCT opperates strictly of the PCM, and can not be easil tapped into like the Vtech, to use it just for performance you need a 100% custom PCM, or to remove it all to get together
Old 04-21-2004, 01:07 AM   #9
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

vtech is designed as a suction at high rpms when both the intake and exhaust valves are open. in vtechs this is 5500-5800 rpms. and also w/ vtech there are three sets of lobes. when vtech is engaged the larger set of lobes holds the intake and exhaust valves open at the same time thus creating a vacuum and forcing the gases through at a higher velocity. zetec is where the cams advance or decrease and give you a better or worse fuel curve according to what the pcm thinks would benefit the temp of the motor. but there is only two sets of lobes. w/ vct there are also two engagement points when you are racing or driving hard. you can hear and feel them both. one is around 4500 rpms and the other is higher up where vtech engages at 5500-5800 rpms. so they are very similar. a vtech controller only increases or decreases the rpm that vtech engages at. so its nothing special cuz you can do the same w/ hondata. please correct me if im wrong but that is my understanding of it.

Last edited by ZX2000; 04-21-2004 at 02:04 AM.
ZX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
zx2srdotnet
Banned

What is ZETEC?

ZETEC is the name of the motor, similar to Chevy's ECOTEC, and Honda's B16, H22 series motor names. The ZETEC engine features something similar to VTEC called VCT. See 'What is VCT' for more info about it.

What is VCT??

VCT stands for Variable Cam Timing. It is controlled by oil pressure, basically to control valve overlap and help control emissions and help out with gas mileage. With VCT off (at idle for example) the exhaust cam is fully advanced, with minimum overlap. As VCT becomes active at some rpms the cams are partly retarded (with more cam overlap) increasing upper rpm power. Under some conditions the cams are fully retarded 60 (cam) degrees resulting in EGR like behavior. At 60 degrees, the cams are retarded too much to make optimum power. If you eliminate the VCT you need to adjust the cams on a dyno for the best retardation to optimize power. This best peak HP setting will result in more static overlap than with the VCT active and net less low end torque. Nevertheless if you are after peak HP, eliminating the VCT is a good way to do.
Ford uses the VCT to retard the exhaust cam as much as 60 (crank) degrees. This results in a lot of overlap and some exhaust gas recirculation. Most of the time the amount of cam retard is too great to benefit high end power.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:35 AM   #11
zx2qik4u
AF Newbie

I couldn't tell you the first thing about the difference between the two motors, but i can tell you that i have a 2000 zx2 and i have run a 15.3 on the 1/4. I did that in a completely stock zx2. On top of that my car had bald tires at that time.

Right now i am in turkey and i can not drive my car, but when i return to the states i am going to make a few mods to my car. The two main mods that i am going to make is a header kit and a turbo kit. I wonder what my time will be in the 1/4 then.
zx2qik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:42 AM   #12
zx2srdotnet
Banned

unless yo have amazing atitude and your a perfect driver, or you have an s/r thats hard to believe, ive only heared of 1 run faster tehn a 15.7 adn that was a 15.64
Old 04-30-2004, 02:32 AM   #13
zx2qik4u
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx2srdotnet
unless yo have amazing atitude and your a perfect driver, or you have an s/r thats hard to believe, ive only heared of 1 run faster tehn a 15.7 adn that was a 15.64
Well i have been driving ever since i was tall enough to reach the accelerator. The first car i ever drove was a 5-speed. My life is all about driving. Actually it would be better to say that my life is all about racing. I feel more comfortable behind the steering wheel of a car than i do in any other place. Now you say that you don't believe me. I guess i could understand why. You hear all of these stories about other zx2s racing in well known areas. Well i race on a strip in montgomery, alabama and, other than the people i have raced there, nobody else knows about me racing. People will start hearing about me when i return from turkey in about a year. When i return i am going to modify my zx2 a bit. Let me tell you about a few of the mods i am going to make. Just for starters i will install a header kit and a turbo kit. Thats just a few. I have a long list i have been putting together for the past few weeks. Maybe we can talk about cars later, because i can race like hell but i don't know much about engines. I have been known to take someone's car and teach them how to push it to its limit in exchange for car knowledge. I know that if i could learn how to tweak my car's engine i could race even more and help the zx2 become a fearsome car in the world of racing. Well i have said enough for now talk to you later.
zx2qik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #14
xtoyotacorex
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Zetec? whats this?

zx2's are great, if you put a turbo kit on it that sucker will fly!
xtoyotacorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
JohnPV
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JohnPV
Re: Re: Re: Re: Zetec? whats this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtoyotacorex
zx2's are great, if you put a turbo kit on it that sucker will fly!
Zetec is a Series of Ford Four Cylinder DOHC engines going back to the early ' 90's . They started with the 1.0L , 1.6L , 1.8L , 2.0L and there were a few in between , some were TurboCharged , Carbureted and Fuel Injected . The ZX2 2.0L Zetec DOHC has 130 HP/105 WHP . The VCT is mainly for emissions ,give's a little better low end torque and flatter torque and power curve , nothing like the Vetec , totally different thing's . There are a few Turbo ZX2's running around with 225HP up to 385HP . Here's a few site and pic's .

http://www.teamzx2.com

http://zx2.mygaim.com

http://pub76.ezboard.com/bzx23270

http://www.zx2racing.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnpv42
JohnPV is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2