Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
Silver Blue '97
AF Newbie

Changing front pads & cutting rotors

Hello,
I'm a new member,but first I want to thank you all for some help I got from reading some threads on programming keyless remote, thank you.
Secondly, I'm about to do my front pads on my '97 Aurora and would like to know how it's done. How do adjust the calipers to the new pads and any other info. that would be helpful. The only thread I read is that their easy.
Silver Blue '97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
jjdewd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jjdewd
Re: Changing front pads & cutting rotors

Hmmm lets see if I can remember lol I did mine on my 96 I'm assuming its similar.
After the wheel is off there are 2 bolts on the back side of the caliper. I believe you'll need a torx bit ...not sure what size ...you can get them at parts stores.
Remove those bolts and pull the caliper off( it might need some force)
I would suggest new rotors probably like $40 a piece les you get propormance ones. Remove the old pads. I used a C clamp to depress the caliper piston all the way in. Put on new rotor and pads and slide the rotor back on. replace the 2 bolts and your done.
The rotor will adjust on its on when you pump the brake a bit til you get a firm pedal
Its been a while hope I didn't miss anything. there might be a brake line mount/bracket you'll have to remove to get the rotor off.
If you've done brakes before its pretty simple.
The rears are kinda of a bitch you have to screw the rotor piston back in with a tool or needle nose.
Oh and don't used the cheap pads they squeak lol
jjdewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
Silver Blue '97
AF Newbie

jjdewd,
Thanks for the info. it will be very helpful. I am going to use ceramic pads on the front, I was told that they are the best for less noise and best performance, any input on this. Auto Zone has them for $50.00 a set with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by Silver Blue '97; 03-02-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Silver Blue '97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
jjdewd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jjdewd

Your welcome!
I'm not using ceramic pads but I hear the are some of the best pads
jjdewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

You may have to open the bleeder valve on the caliper to depress the piston. If you do, be careful to only crack it open a tiny bit until brake fluid starts to ooze out and immediately tighten it up when you get the piston in the desired position. True ceramic pads are more expensive and only perform better at the extremes. The ones you're looking at are ceramic particle impregnated but will be much better than organic and less dust producing than semi-metallic. With the warranty, I would get them. More and more companies are eliminating lifetime warranties on parts that are designed to wear out.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora