Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 10:34 AM   #16
biggyt1500
AF Newbie

bad bad bad

Last edited by biggyt1500; 11-21-2003 at 10:17 AM.
biggyt1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #17
biggyt1500
AF Newbie

I'm having the same problems with clunking and a real bad chatter (like shaking the whole truck) especially when the driver side rear wheel broke on some leaves my truck chattered like crazy. Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. I have read some of the complaints on here and it sounds like most of them are sounds from the tranmission but my sound is definately from the rear. I hear it also when i take off when shifts in between 1st and 2nd. I've taken it twice to the dealer and it only has 3800 miles on it. I also own a 1978 Chevy 1/2 ton that i plow with and it does not even make noises like that. After all these years you think that GM could have perfected something. I'm seriously looking at trading it in for a new Ford. And to think they soaked me for $$$$$ on and extended warranty in which i will fight to get back.
biggyt1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:26 PM   #18
texasblueline
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Got it back today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMerlin
I did a bulletin search this morning and found a couple bulletins that MAY apply to the concern on your truck.
My recommendation is to take it back to the dealer and talk to the service manager and ask him to perform a bulletin search on your specific concern while you are standing there with him.
There are 2 bulletins for a 1-2 shudder on those trucks.
I had the 1-2 shudder on my 02 Sierra and I fixed it per the bulletin...Smooth as silk now
If you need more info feel free to PM me.
If you don't mind me asking, what're the issues regarding the shudder from 1st to 2nd? I ask because I think mine may have the same problem (only happens from 1-2), although it's not always extremely noticeable. I assume it's repaired under warranty, but is it a quick fix? If I'm unable to take my Silverado in soon is it going to be detrimental (I bought it used a couple months ago, it's at 31K miles)? Do you happen to have those service bulletins numbers that may be related to it so I can reference them? Thanks.
texasblueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 PM   #19
cad
AF Newbie

Angry 2001 z71 clunk

Hi guys,
My 2001 Z71 (26000 miles) has clunks in the driveline as well. Park to reverse, 1-2,2-3,2-1. The most annoying clunk I hate is the one when you go around a corner slow and then ease into the gas again. CLUNK!
I am told it is because of the auto-trac system.
I can believe that. I also believe there to be some engineering defect.
If you change your own oil, next time you are under your truck, grab the "small" driveshaft that comes out of the transfer case and turn it. You will hear the noise in the transfer case. GEEZ. I cannot believe the noise that mine is making is not causing damage.
I have taken it in 3 times. The service writer is a good friend of mine. I have a good friend that is an area GM rep for GMSPO. I have seen the bulletins and, apparently, there is nothing that can be done under the existing policies that GM.
Keep calling and writing GM, as the dealer apparently doesnt want anyone to buy another 1500 4x4. The service mgr wouldnt even take the time to talk with me at Young Chevrolet when I called. I even have a friend, who's wedding I was in, that is asst parts mgr there.
PS: They replaced the "yoke" already right after I bought it with 17k, and another dealer (where I used to work) replaced the rear diff later after my 2nd trip to a dealer. The rear diff replacement cleared up the park to drive clunk I had.

Let me know know if anyone hears anything good from GM.
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #20
badtruck
AF Newbie

Angry 2003 Chevy Silverado Drivetrain Clunking

I made the mistake of purchasing a new 2003 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 automatic. After 6000 miles the drivetrain started clunking loudly any time I drive backwards (in reverse). The clunk does not occur when I shift to reverse but clunks when I accelarate faster than normal. The clunk also occurs frequently when I accelarate hard and then let off the throttle. It sometimes occurs on 1st to 2nd upshifts or downshifts.
I can feel the clunk in the floor and passengers ask me about it.

This problem takes all of the joy out of owning this new truck.
The dealer did the transmission reprogramming which did not correct the problem and they told me that I have to live with the problem.

DO NOT BUY A SILVERADO UNLESS YOU CAN LIVE WITH TYPE OF PROBLEM AND THE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM GM.

If anybody finds a soltuion to this problem, please post it here.

Thank you!
badtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:46 PM   #21
bspeck
AF Newbie

Angry 2003 Z71 Ext Cab Trans Clunk

I have had my 03 Z71 for about a year now and have had in the shop numerous times for the clunking in the trans. It only does it on the upshift and downshift between 2 & 3. According to Chevrolet it is a characteristic problem. They refuse to fix the issue. They let you know about this little bulletin they have to read to find out what they will be doing. The bulletin reads:

During a 2-3 upshift, the 2-4 band is released and the 3-4 clutch is applied. The timing of this shift can cause a momentary torque reversal of the output shaft that results in a clunk noise. This same torque reversal can also occur on the 3-2 downshift when the 3-4 clutch is released and the 2-4 band applied. This condition may be worse on 4-wheel drive vehicle due to the additionmal tolerances in the transfer case.

This is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted.

This applies to all light duty trucks 2003 and older.

You have to step up the HD truck to avoid this problem. You would think that they would fix the problem after all of these years, but as long as they are selling them there will be no fix. Chevy refuses to due anything about this problem.
bspeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:07 AM   #22
blueburbboober
AF Newbie

geeez, im sure glad i dont have the newer style trucks. if i may add some of my own experiences though....

i used to own a 1985 chevy pickup, and i had the same exact "problems" you guys are explaining. the problem was backlash, a very excessive amount. it can be corrected by many things, because theres a lot that comes into play. first off, climb under your truck, and yank on the driveshafts. check to see whats turning. shims can be made for your rear diff that will reduce backlash. worn u-joints add to backlash. (my 85' went through a set every 2 years) your transfer case and tranny can also cause it, although i never ended up tearing into mine to see if i could eleiminate it. i drive that truck for 4 years, and never had a part failure due to that problem, other than the u-joints. my suggestion is to look into some of those things. maybe if enough people have the same adjustment that fixes the problem, GM will release a bulletin with that fix. just some thoughts. i hope you all get it figured out, i know how frustating dealers can be.

rob

2005 Jeep Wrangler. Blue, 4.0L
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Bright green, 4.0L. No mods yet on either!
blueburbboober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:24 AM   #23
mszbutler
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 1500 HD (same tranny as Silverado 1500) that had similar transmission problems. It started at about 3000 miles but the dealer could not find any codes. The problem seemed to be slipping and not shifting correctly but it was intermittent. At about 26000 miles, it started to not shift into overdrive until about 10-15 minutes of operation. This problem become constant and the dealer agreed there was a problem but could not find it. I left it there and finally they got a code after a week of driving it and they rebuilt the transmission (found broken parts inside). I drove it for a day and then a clicking in first gear started. They rebuilt the tranny a second time (more broken parts inside). I drove it for a week and there seemed to be a lag in shifting. I took it back and said it needed a new transmission. They agreed and replaced it and it works fine now. Other than being without my truck for a month altogether, I am satisfied with the outcome and I will continue to drive GM products. This process definitely cost GM a few dollars.
mszbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #24
vtdobes
AF Newbie

my clunker

I also just bought (in June) a 03 Silverado and it's got a wicked clunk. The dealer said that it's a backlash in the drivetrain and there is nothing they can do about it. All they can do is record that I mention it everytime I bring in the vehicle. I suppose that's for when it actually breaks after the warrenty runs out so they'll fix it. I know I'll never buy the cheapy one again (cheapy one=$29,000)!

Cat
vtdobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:24 AM   #25
cad
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Trans. Clunking

Hi guys,
I emailed the Chevrolet Customer Assistance center with a list of the issues and the details of how many times I have had it in for service on the clunk (4). They replied and asked that I call the call center 1-800-222-1020, which I did. After about 10 minutes of talking, the CSR put me on hold and called Young Chevrolet here in Omaha to get the scoop. When she came back on, she went through the usual talk of how the dealer has done everything that they can, and she also wanted to know if my concern was reliability. If you have been handed the bulletin at the dealer that says this "objectionable noise" is normal, you know what she was reading. I told her that was secondary, and that the NOISE is the primary concern. We talked another 10 minutes, as I did not want them to think that I was going to let this go by easily. She offered me a 6yr/75,000 mile extended warranty on the driveline for FREE. I did have to ask her to read what is covered. Their first offer did not include the front and rear differentials, or CV shafts, etc. I asked about those, and she added that in. Essentially, she said everything is covered except the engine. This includes the transmission, transfer case, u-joints, driveshafts, etc. I havent received the letter, yet. But, it's in the mail. When it comes, I will take it over to Young and have them review it to see if it will cover everything as an "extended warranty" or if there is a catch that I wasn't told. The CSR assured me there was no catch. I am a skeptic, for obvious reasons.
C

Last edited by cad; 12-05-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:28 AM   #26
cad
AF Newbie

Also, on this same issue, I just heard a rumor last nite that GM is taking "bids" from outside engineers to solve this clunk issue. I have no details, but let's just say that my neighbor has a brother who is an engineer that is involved...I will share more when I get it. This is key, as I will not buy another GM 1/2 ton truck until the clunk issue is documented by GM as being resolved. I will buy a Dodge with the Hemi, before I will buy another GM 1500 truck.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #27
dgamage
AF Newbie

Guys, I bought a new 2003 1500 silverado 4x4 ext cab in June of 2003. Had the "Clunk" from the beginning. Two dealers said it was "normal' according to GM specs. I fought with GM for 4 months to no avail. I filed a claim through their arbutrator the BBB. That was a Joke. I finally filed a Lemon Law claim through an attorney who specializes in Lemon Law claim and got a nice cash settlement form GM in about a month after getting the attorney. If anyone is interested you can email me and I'll be glad to share my experience and the name of the law firm. dgamage@heart.net
dgamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:28 PM   #28
2001 silver
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Got it back today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMerlin
I did a bulletin search this morning and found a couple bulletins that MAY apply to the concern on your truck.
My recommendation is to take it back to the dealer and talk to the service manager and ask him to perform a bulletin search on your specific concern while you are standing there with him.
There are 2 bulletins for a 1-2 shudder on those trucks.
I had the 1-2 shudder on my 02 Sierra and I fixed it per the bulletin...Smooth as silk now
If you need more info feel free to PM me.
Gm Merlin I had a post that sounds ans you describe above, a shudder, or studder between 1st and second on my 2001 silverado, do you know the bulletin #
2001 silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:27 AM   #29
Newbie_101
AF Newbie

Man, I'm glad I came across this post! For months I have been bouncing between Dodge and Chev and finally settled on Chev. This info has once again put things up in the air.

Can anyone tell me of experiences with the 04'? I'm looking at the 2500 duramax, crew cab 4x4 automatic. Does this infamous clunk exist on this model?
Newbie_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #30
okie-chevy-man
Banned

Send a message via MSN to okie-chevy-man Send a message via Yahoo to okie-chevy-man

dont know about that but my dad has a 03 2500HD crew with the 496. that thing is whisper quiet and i hear nothing in it. also drive the dodge. it sucks. the rear doors are almost half the size of the silverado. also my buddy i go to races with pulled a loaded 20 ft boxed in trailer and got 5-6 mpg on a 600 mile trip. the next time we took my dads 300 miles and averaged 12-13 with the same load. it pulled so good you can barely tell it is back there compared to the dodge. be sure to drive the dodge and know wht you are getting in to.
okie-chevy-man is offline   Reply With Quote